What Makes Boogey Lights® Different?
It's no secret you can purchase LED lights just about anywhere. Do a quick online search and you'll find hundreds of companies selling them often for a fraction of the price. And at least at first glance, they look very similar. Most are sold on rolls. Most have clusters of 3 LEDs mounted to a strip of printed circuit board. Most also stick-on in some way, often with double-sided tape. The reality however is that not all LED lighting systems are created equal. Far from it. Truth is, the vast majority of LED strip lights being sold today - particularly for RVs - are re-purposed residential lighting LEDs designed for use indoors on cabinets, under-counter-tops, behind entertainment centers and the like. These lighting systems work well indoors when attached to stationary objects. They are however poorly suited for outdoor applications subjected to harsh outdoor conditions when mounted on vehicles that move, flex, vibrate, contract and expand.
Here's Why Boogey Lights® are Different!
Here's why Boogey Lights® LED lighting products are superior than other LED lighting system offered today for motorsports applications:
- SPECIALLY DESIGNED PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD (PCB) MATERIAL. The PCB material we use is made specifically for our LED applications. You cannot purchase this PCB off-the-shelf. It isn't stocked by PCB manufacturers nor is it readily available for purchase anywhere. It's custom made just for us. This is one of the reasons why we're one of the few companies who offers PCB colors in both white and black to better match the color of the surface it's attached to. Beyond the PCB color options however is the fact that our LED lighting products are mounted on PCB that has been specially designed with larger solder pads for the components. These larger solder pads allow for more solder to be used when securing the components to the PCB making it far less likely a component will easily separate from the PCB when under stress (a common problem with most every LED strip made today). Perhaps most importantly though is the fact that our LED lighting products use PCB containing two ounce copper weight instead of the standard .5 or 1 ounce copper commonly stocked by PCB manufacturers, available off the shelf. Why? Because two ounce copper PCB is thicker, tougher and more durable. PCB copper weight is the amount of copper present in one square foot of area. A two ounce copper weight equates to a PCB thickness of 2.8 mils. The thickness of the PCB is particularly important when used on vehicles that move, flex, vibrate, contract and expand. It's also important because it's the PCB that carries the electrical current to the individual LEDs mounted to the strip. Thicker PCB means less voltage drop across the strip which equates to brighter LEDs. Most LED lighting products use a low grade PCB of .5 ounce copper which is only .68 mils thick. This thinner PCB works fine for stationary indoor applications but it's a bad idea for outdoor applications on vehicles that move, flex and vibrate. Boogey Lights® lighting products use PCB that is two to four times thicker. Little wonder even after a brief period of time competitor LED products sold today often fail within a short time frame and aren't nearly as bright as Boogey Lights®.
- THE BRIGHTEST LEDS AVAILABLE. Just like PCB, the quality of each LED chip varies significantly based on the manufacturing process. And it's the LED chip that generates the light you see. LED chips are manufactured by various companies around the world with Japan being the recognized leader. The quality of the materials used is a major factor and one of those factors is the rare earth phosphor used in constructing the chip. Cheap LEDs are often made with low quality phosphor to reduce costs, but it also means dimmer and less reliable LEDs. Another factor is the power supply used. LED chips need to be driven with a constant current DC supply. This is accomplished with capacitors that are in-line with the LED chips. Low quality capacitors reduce brightness and life span. Presently, the 5050 LED chip is the biggest and brightest LED chip available which is all we use for our light strips. We also source our LED chips from the world's leading LED manufacturer who specializes in high-quality LED chips made with quality components. Yes, it costs more but if you light a strip of Boogey Lights® and place it next to any competitor's LED strip on the market today you'll quickly see the difference not only in brightness, but in clarity.
- HARDWIRED POWER LEADS. The single most common point of failure in an LED light strip used outdoors is the point at which the power lead connects to the LED strip. Our power leads are hardwired to the end of the LED strip and sealed with not one but two layers of epoxy heat shrink. And, for RV applications we include 15' of power lead cable (we also offer custom lengths if you need them). The leading competitor by comparison provides just a few feet of power lead and uses a flimsy plastic barrel type connector that will either be hanging outside or you'll need to drill a sizable hole through the side of your RV to get power. That flimsy connector also has a tendency to vibrate loose as the vehicle moves down the road. Plus, the connector design allows moisture to easily seep into the connection corroding and shorting out the lights over time. Our hardwired methodology avoids these problems.
- THICKER ADHESIVE BACKING. The adhesive backing on Boogey Ligthts® LED light strips is the best available. We only use genuine 3M® products. Sadly, counterfeit products masquerading as genuine are widely used by many manufacturers in Asia to cut costs. 3M® is the "gold standard" when it comes to adhesive for a reason. Knock-off 3M® lookalikes have flooded the Asian market which are inferior with less holding strength. We also add extra thickness - at least 3x thicker than the leading brand. Like a shock-absorber, the thicker adhesive backing absorbs much of the lateral side-to-side movement when the vehicle vibrates and flexes going down the road. Without that extra thickness the LED strip, PCB, solder joints and LEDs have to absorb the vibration and flexing directly. It doesn't take long before that vibration and flexing damages the strip.
- 3M® PROMOTER INCLUDED IN OUR KITS. Look on most any website selling LED strips today and if they're honest, one of the top complaints from consumers is their LED strips fall off. They don't stay stuck. There's a reason why. Cheaper brands don't include 3M® Promoter with their kits. Of course any company selling stick-on LED lights know the importance of using 3M® Promoter in the installation process but to cut costs, they leave this important detail out. Many don't even mention the need to use it anywhere in their documentation. So consumers buy the product based on price only to find out later the lights fall off. This of course makes the lights worthless. At Boogey Lights® we don't do business that way. Our LED lighting kits include 3M® Promoter because in our view, it's an essential ingredient in making sure the LEDs work and perform as advertised. Sure, it costs more but it's also the reason why our light strips stay stuck!
- CONTROLLER TECHNOLOGY. All Boogey Lights® LED strips are COMMON CATHODE strips with the controller technology being POSITIVELY SWITCHED. This means that Boogey Lights® LED strips share a common ground. The controller switches on/off the positive (hot) side of the circuit similar to how every motorized vehicle in the United States is wired. Just like your car, Boogey Lights® LED strips are only energized with power when they are in use. Without getting into the electrical weeds the advantage of this design is that it is more robust, more efficient, will last longer and provides a brighter glow. It also means there is less chance of the LED strip or controller shorting out, making it safer. Of course it costs more to build a controller that switches the positive side of the circuit instead of the negative. That's why most competitors use negatively switched controllers with common anode LED strips. Little wonder common anode LEDs and negatively switched controllers are the default circuit design mass-produced and used throughout Asia.
- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE BASED IN THE US. Take a moment to read some of our product reviews. Go ahead and do it now. We'll wait. Don't just read the ones you see here on our website either. Search the internet. Look at some of the candid consumer comments found on Amazon, Facebook or any number of RV or motorcycle related forums. While no company is perfect, we think you'll find a common thread in our product reviews: 1) superior product quality and 2) outstanding customer service. Of course the fact that we've been in business since 1989 helps but we don't think you'll find any serious competitor who comes close to the quality of our products and our customer service. Perhaps best of all is the fact all Boogey Lights® products are designed, assembled and supported in the UNITED STATES by Americans. By comparison, the leading competitor at least in the RV sector is 100% made in Asia and sold to the US market by a company in Canada that doesn't even offer telephone support.