Multi-Color RGBWW LED Awning Kit for RVs
Now you can have WARM WHITE, NATURAL WHITE and BRIGHT WHITE on a Multi-Color RGB LED Strip!
We're thrilled to introduce the latest new product from BOOGEY LIGHTS®. Our RGBWW LED Light strips and RGBWW LED controller. One question we often hear from customers is do we offer a light series that produces a softer, warmer white look instead of the super-bright, cool white look? The short answer up until now has been, "no". However with our new RGBWW light series, that's all about to change. The technology used in our new RGBWW LED light strips for motorsports applications is a game changer.
Our standard multi-color LED strips are based on an RGB led chip. Inside each of these RGB LED chips are three light emitting diodes: one red diode, one green diode and one blue diode; hence the name 'R G B'. When equal amounts of Red, Green and Blue are mixed together, the result is a bright white; it has a blueish tint to it. This bright white color is great when you want to illuminate a large area however it can be over-powering at times where you might want a softer, warmer white – closer to the look of candle light which has an orangish – yellowish look. With standard RGB LED chips this warmer white color isn't possible. Now however, with the RGBWW LED chip it is.
An RGBWW LED chip contains five light emitting diodes: 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue, 1 warm white and 1 cool white. It's the addition of these two variations of white diodes that makes the difference. The RGBWW LED chip will not only produce all of the same colors as the standard 3 diode RGB LED chip, it can also produce warm white, neutral white and cool white all using the 2 extra white diodes. But it gets even better; by mixing the warm white and cool white diodes with the RGB diodes it's possible to create additional variations of RGB light combinations. For example, you create softer shades of red that aren't possible with a standard RGB LED chip. Also, by mixing equal parts of red, green and blue with the warm white diode and cool white diode, you can produce an incredibly bright white light not possible with a standard RGB LED chip. So now that you can choose from a wide range of color temperature and brightness we also added an additional two levels of dimming to our dimming feature. Our new RGB WW LED strip now includes 9 dimming modes vs 7 that are included in our standard RGB LED strips. This allows for you to tailor the brightness of your lights to whatever atmosphere you'd like to set. Each RGBWW LED strip is 16 feet long and can be cut if needed to fit your application. Width of each RGBWW LED strip is 12mm (RGB is only 10mm wide). Height is 3mm. Instead of four conductor power lead, the RGBWW strip has a six conductor power lead.
Using an RGB Controller with an RGBWW LED Strip
Since the introduction of our RGBWW LED strips in 2019 we have installed these LED strips in a number of configurations for customers. An increasingly popular request is to use one of our RGB Bluetooth Combo LED controllers along with a dimmer switch (or two). Why? Because the RGB Bluetooth Combo LED controller gives you both RF wireless + Bluetooth control over the R-G-B diodes in the RGBWW strip and the dimmer switch allows you to control the two WW diodes. With this configuration, the RGB outputs on the RGB controller are wired to the R-G-B diodes on the RGBWW strip and the hard wired dimmer switch is wired to the WW diodes on the RGBWW strip (or, to an existing wall switch). We've even had customers use two of our RGB Bluetooth Combo LED controllers: one controls the R-G-B diodes on the RGBWW strip, the other controls the WW diodes on the RGBWW strip. The big advantage is that you can control the lights with your Bluetooth enabled smartphone OR the included RF wireless hand held remote. Our standard RGBWW LED controller only offers RF wireless remote control (Bluetooth is not available with the RGBWW LED controller). Taking this one step further, with our RGB Dual Zone Combo LED Controller, you can use Zone 1 to power the R-G-B diodes and Zone 2 to power the W-W diodes. In this scenario you have only one physical LED controller (a dual zone HD LED controller) with both Bluetooth and RF wireless control capabilities. When it comes to using this HD Dual Zone Combo BT + RF controller to power an awning light, you'll need to make sure there is sufficient space to mount this LED controller as it has a larger footprint than the standard Super RGBWW or RGB RF only controllers. Yes, we know it can get confusing with so many options but flexibility is important for many of our customers. If you aren't sure about these options, give us a call or send us an email, we'll be happy to assist you with configuring the right system for your application. We have included a link to a wiring diagram of possible scenarios below.
RGBWW: Super Controller with one Long Range M7 TV Style wirelss remote control. Max capacity of the included RGBWW Super Controller is 600 RGBWW LEDs. Note: does not include Bluetooth
RGB: Two Options-
1) Super Combo (Bluetooth + RF) single zone LED Controller. Includes one M7 tv style RF wireless hand held remote. Can also be operated using your Bluetooth enabled smartphone and our free IOS/Android APP. Will power up to 900 RGB LEDs.
2) Heavy Duty Combo (Bluetooth + RF) Dual Zone LED Controller. Includes our extended range RF antenna and one M7 tv style RF wireless hand held remote. Can also be operated using your Bluetooth enabled smartphone and our free IOS/Android APP. Will power up to 1500 RGB LEDs on EACH zone (3000 LEDs total).
RGBWW Controller Capabilities
The Boogey Lights® RGBWW Super Controller included in this Awning kit will display seven RGB colors:
- RED, GREEN, BLUE, WHITE, LIGHT BLUE, BOOGEY LIGHTS GREEN (LIME GREEN/YELLOW), HOT PINK/PURPLE
In addition to the RGB colors, the Boogey Lights® RGBWW Super Controller will also display these variations of WHITE:
- WARM WHITE, NEUTRAL WHITE, COOL WHITE. View the video for this product to see examples of how these look.
The controller will allow you to control the RGB and the WW lights individually or you can mix them together. In addition, these lighting effects are available:
- DIMMING, FADING, BREATHING, STROBING, ON/OFF
The Long Range M7 remote control offers nine levels lighting effects (e.g. 9 levels of dimming). The Long Range M7 RF remote uses one A27 12v alkaline battery (included with remote). Up to three Long Range M7 remotes may be paired with one controller.
Note: The RGBWW LED controller does not have Bluetooth control functionality. It has RF wireless control only.
RGB LED Controller Capabilities
The Boogey Lights® RGB LED Heavy Duty Combo LED Controller will display seven RGB colors using the included M7 RF wireless remote control:
- RED, GREEN, BLUE, WHITE, LIGHT BLUE, BOOGEY LIGHTS GREEN (LIME GREEN/YELLOW), HOT PINK/PURPLE
In addition, these lighting effects are available:
- DIMMING, FADING, BREATHING, STROBING, ON/OFF
Using the free Boogey Lights Bluetooth APP and your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, a total of 16 million color combinations are possible along with the same lighting effects plus presets and color rotation programming.
Keep in mind that if you're using the RGB LED Controller with an RGBWW LED light strip, it will only power the R-G-B diodes on that strip. The two remaining W-W diodes will need to be controlled either via a hard wired switch (or switches) OR another RGB LED controller (e.g. Dual Zone RGB Controller). If you're going to use another RGB LED controller to power the WW diodes, only 2 of the 3 LED outputs will be used (e.g. Red output = Warm white diode, Green output = Cool white diode). The Blue output would be capped - or - if you prefer, you can wire the Blue output to one of the two W-W diodes. If you're controlling the W-W diodes on the RGBWW LED strip with a hard wired switch, you have a number of options. First, if you have an existing wall switch, you can tie that existing wall switch to the two W-W diodes. Doing so will produce a bright white (both W-W diodes will light) when the switch is turned on. As an option, you can install a Dimmer Switch (one or two). If you install one dimmer switch, both W-W diodes will work at the same time (they'll be blended together). If you install two dimmer switches, you will be able to independently control each W diode on the RGBWW led light strip giving you more control over the shade of white (and brightness). Yes, we know it can be a little over-whelming with so many options. Call us if you need assistance in determining what's best for your application.
Extra 3M Adhesion Primer
3M Promoter is a powerful adhesion primer. It's an essential step in the installation process but you don't need much of it to make it work. A simple single swipe on the surface you're mounting the light strip to is all you need. Our lighting kits include enough 3M Adhesion Primer to mount the strips in the kit for most installations. Some customers however feel better if they "paint" the mounting surface completely with it -- which is fine if you want to but not necessary. The problem is that 3M Adhesion Primer isn't readily available everywhere; particularly weekends, holidays and evenings. If you use all of the primer that's included with the kit but run out before you're finished, you'll have to wait to finish the job until you get more adhesion primer. If you're one of those people who would prefer to have a little adhesion primer left-over just in case, we offer the option of adding additional tubes to your order. Or, if you prefer, an entire 8oz can of 3M Adhesion Primer can be added to your order.
Note: All Boogey Lights® LED strips are COMMON CATHODE LEDS. They share a common ground and will only work with positively switched controllers. Most LED strips on the market today are COMMON ANODE because the controller technology used to power them is less expensive to manufacture. However they're not nearly as bright and are an overall inferior design when compared with COMMON CATHODE LEDs.
NOTE ON EXTENDED USE: The LEDs used in this product are very bright; the brightest 12vdc LED lights available. They're designed to be used for accent lighting applications where they are typically powered on for a few hours (usually on a dimmed setting) and then powered off. While they can be used in functional lighting applications (e.g. bright white to temporarily illuminate a work area), the lights should NOT be left powered on for extended periods of time (e.g. 6+ hours). If the LEDs are left powered on for long periods of time - particularly on their brightest setting - the LEDs closest to the power source will have a burned look to them over time. This is because the amount of voltage being pulled through the LEDs closest to the power source will be higher than the voltage going through the LEDs further down the strip. The end result is that those LEDs closest to the power source will be hotter thus creating the burned look. This will occur mostly when displaying the color white on a full brightness setting but can also occur with other colors. For this reason, we do NOT suggest leaving these LED lights powered up for extended periods of time particularly on their brightest setting. Burned looking LEDs is NOT covered under warranty.
Installing the Boogey Lights® LED awning kit is relatively simple. Typical installation time is about 90 minutes. Some things to keep in mind before you start.
- WE STRONGLY SUGGEST BENCH TESTING YOUR LIGHTS AND CONTROLLER BEFORE MOUNTING! We cannot emphasize this enough. Probably 95% of all calls we receive from customers are about problems or issues that could have easily been avoided had the customer taken the extra 15 minutes to bench test their lighting setup before installation. Not only does bench testing give you an opportunity to understand the configuration, it also will flush out any problems or misunderstanding about the product and use before mounting.
- Make sure you know where your electrical connection will be. Most RVs (motor-home, travel trailer or fifth wheel) have an electrical access panel somewhere on the side of the RV where 12vdc power is available.
- Decide how you are going to connect the power lead coming from your LED light strip to the power source. Many RV awnings (particularly motorized awnings) have a mounting bar that is already affixed to the side of the RV. If so, you can usually run the power lead cable coming from the LED light strip inside that mounting bar. If not, you can use some flexible Wire Trak™ raceway to hide the power lead cable. The Wire Trak™ raceway uses the same 3M tape technology our Boogey Lights do so it's easy to affix the raceway to the side of your RV.
- The only way to ensure the LED light strip stays stuck to the side of your RV is to make sure you prepare the surface in accordance with the directions. Every LED light kit we sell includes 3M promoter (aka "primer"). It's absolutely critical the surface be prepared using this special 3M promoter and that you follow the directions provided with every light kit.
- If you need to cut the LED strip, make sure you do it before affixing to your RV. Our LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs and are clearly marked.
- We have had customers install the awning light to the end of the awning on the roller instead of to the side of the RV/Camper. The challenge with this installation scenario is running the power lead back to the RV. There are a couple of options, one of which is to use one of our quick-disconnect connectors but of course you have to disconnect/reconnect the power cord every-time you want to use it. The other is to snake the power lead wire through the seam on the side of the awning material.
- 3M Adhesion Primer. The cotton tip on the end of the 3M Promoter tube will evaporate quickly. Once you break the glass tube inside the promoter tube (we’re assuming you’re using the tubes versus a can of promoter) it’s important to use the promoter tube immediately. Do not allow it to sit around. If you do, the cotton applicator tip will dry up. Once you paint on the promoter you have at least an hour to mount the light strip although we recommend proceeding immediately after painting the surface with the 3M Promoter.
- When in doubt, call our technical support team! We're the experts. We've done this thousands of times. We know what works.
- AMPERAGE Data for all Boogey Lights products can be found on our website.
Did we mention that using the 3M® Adhesion Promoter included in this kit is an important step in the installation process you should not skip?
NOTE ON EXTENDED USE: The LEDs used in this product are very bright; the brightest 12vdc LED lights available. They're designed to be used for accent lighting applications where they are typically powered on for a few hours (usually on a dimmed setting) and then powered off. While they can be used in functional lighting applications (e.g. bright white to temporarily illuminate a work area), the lights should NOT be left powered on for extended periods of time (e.g. 12+ hours). If the LEDs are left powered on for long periods of time - particularly on their brightest setting - the LEDs closest to the power source will have a burned look to them over time. This is because the amount of voltage being pulled through the LEDs closest to the power source will be higher than the voltage going through the LEDs further down the strip. The end result is that those LEDs closest to the power source will be hotter thus creating the burned look. This will occur mostly when displaying the color white on a full brightness setting but can also occur with other colors. For this reason, we do NOT suggest leaving these LED lights powered up for extended periods of time particularly on their brightest setting. Burned looking LEDs is NOT covered under warranty.