Think all RV LED lighting products are the same? THINK AGAIN!
The vast majority of LED lighting products being sold to the RV market today are designed and engineered for INDOOR use. They're not engineered to withstand the harsh outdoor environments where Boogey Lights® products have been time-tested on everything from motorcycles to boats to cars and ATVs for more than 25 years. The LEDs and electronic components we use are of the highest quality manufactured specifically for Boogey Lights®. We source our product components directly. No middle man, jobber or distributor. Our products are not cheap, mass-produced knockoffs often found on discount marketplaces. Sorry - a $60 (or less) LED strip sold on Amazon or EBay is not even close in terms of quality, construction, capability or brightness. Anyone claiming otherwise simply hasn't done their homework. All Boogey Lights® components are manufactured to our exacting standards specifically for us and specifically for our motorsports applications. We only use super high-quality, high-intensity 5050 LEDs manufactured by one of the world's leading manufacturers based in Japan. This is why our LEDs are so bright compared to the dull and dirty LEDs found in the leading RV awning light products sold by most RV dealers and online camping stores. If you view our product comparison video you'll quickly see the difference in quality, brightness and intensity of the Boogey Lights® LED product versus what's being sold elsewhere. However there are additional reasons why Boogey Lights® LED products are superior. Read on if you'd like to learn more . . .
In this video we do a side-by-side comparison of Boogey Lights® RV LED lighting products and the leading RV LED awning product sold by most RV dealers and online camping stores. We think you'll agree the differences are significant.
Why Boogey Lights® RV lighting products are Superior
- PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD (PCB). The PCB material we use is made specifically for our LED applications. You cannot purchase this PCB off-the-shelf. It isn't stocked by PCB manufacturers nor is it readily available for purchase anywhere. It's custom made just for us. This is one of the reasons why we're one of the few companies who offers PCB colors in both white and black to better match the color of the surface it's attached to. Beyond the PCB color options however is the fact that our LED lighting products are mounted on PCB that has been specially designed with larger solder pads for the components. These larger solder pads allow for more solder to be used when securing the components to the PCB making it far less likely a component will easily separate from the PCB when under stress (a common problem with most every LED strip made today). Perhaps most importantly though is the fact that our LED lighting products use PCB containing two ounce copper weight instead of the standard .5 or 1 ounce copper commonly stocked by PCB manufacturers, available off the shelf. Why? Because two ounce copper PCB is thicker, tougher and more durable. PCB copper weight is the amount of copper present in one square foot of area. A two ounce copper weight equates to a PCB thickness of 2.8 mils. The thickness of the PCB is particularly important when used on vehicles that move, flex, vibrate, contract and expand. It's also important because it's the PCB that carries the electrical current to the individual LEDs mounted to the strip. Thicker PCB means less voltage drop across the strip which equates to brighter LEDs. Most LED lighting products use a low grade PCB of .5 ounce copper which is only .68 mils thick. This thinner PCB works fine for stationary indoor applications but it's a bad idea for outdoor applications on vehicles that move, flex and vibrate. Boogey Lights® lighting products use PCB that is two to four times thicker. Little wonder even after a brief period of time competitor LED products sold today often fail within a short time frame and aren't nearly as bright as Boogey Lights®.
- THE BRIGHTEST LEDS AVAILABLE. Just like PCB, the quality of each LED chip varies significantly based on the manufacturing process. And it's the LED chip that generates the light you see. LED chips are manufactured by various companies around the world with Japan being the recognized leader. The quality of the materials used is a major factor and one of those factors is the rare earth phosphor used in constructing the chip. Cheap LEDs are often made with low quality phosphor to reduce costs, but it also means dimmer and less reliable LEDs. Another factor is the power supply used. LED chips need to be driven with a constant current DC supply. This is accomplished with capacitors that are in-line with the LED chips. Low quality capacitors reduce brightness and life span. Presently, the 5050 LED chip is the biggest and brightest LED chip available which is all we use for our light strips. We also source our LED chips from the world's leading LED manufacturer who specializes in high-quality LED chips made with quality components. Yes, it costs more but if you light a strip of Boogey Lights® and place it next to any competitor's LED strip on the market today you'll quickly see the difference not only in brightness, but in clarity.
- HARDWIRED POWER LEADS. The single most common point of failure in an LED light strip used outdoors is the point at which the power lead connects to the LED strip. Our power leads are hardwired to the end of the LED strip and sealed with not one but two layers of epoxy heat shrink. And, for RV applications we include 15' of power lead cable (we also offer custom lengths if you need them). The leading competitor by comparison provides just a few feet of power lead and uses a flimsy plastic barrel type connector that will either be hanging outside or you'll need to drill a sizable hole through the side of your RV to get power. That flimsy connector also has a tendency to vibrate loose as the vehicle moves down the road. Plus, the connector design allows moisture to easily seep into the connection corroding and shorting out the lights over time. Our hardwired methodology avoids these problems.
- THICKER ADHESIVE BACKING. The adhesive backing on Boogey Ligthts® LED light strips is the best available. We only use genuine 3M® products. Sadly, counterfeit products masquerading as genuine are widely used by many manufacturers in Asia to cut costs. 3M® is the "gold standard" when it comes to adhesive for a reason. Knock-off 3M® lookalikes have flooded the Asian market which are inferior with less holding strength. We also add extra thickness - at least 3x thicker than the leading brand. Like a shock-absorber, the thicker adhesive backing absorbs much of the lateral side-to-side movement when the vehicle vibrates and flexes going down the road. Without that extra thickness the LED strip, PCB, solder joints and LEDs have to absorb the vibration and flexing directly. It doesn't take long before that vibration and flexing damages the strip.
- 3M® ADHESION PROMOTER INCLUDED IN OUR KITS. Look on most any website selling LED strips today and if they're honest, one of the top complaints from consumers is their LED strips fall off. They don't stay stuck. There's a reason why. Cheaper brands don't include 3M® Adhesion Promoter with their kits. Of course any company selling stick-on LED lights know the importance of using 3M® Adhesion Promoter in the installation process but to cut costs, they leave this important detail out. Many don't even mention the need to use it anywhere in their documentation. So consumers buy the product based on price only to find out later the lights fall off. This of course makes the lights worthless. At Boogey Lights® we don't do business that way. Our LED lighting kits include 3M® Adhesion Promoter because in our view, it's an essential ingredient in making sure the LEDs work and perform as advertised. Sure, it costs more but it's also the reason why our light strips stay stuck!
- CONTROLLER TECHNOLOGY. All Boogey Lights® LED strips are COMMON CATHODE strips with the controller technology being POSITIVELY SWITCHED. This means that Boogey Lights® LED strips share a common ground. The controller switches on/off the positive (hot) side of the circuit similar to how every motorized vehicle in the United States is wired. Just like your car, Boogey Lights® LED strips are only energized with power when they are in use. Without getting into the electrical weeds the advantage of this design is that it is more robust, more efficient, will last longer and provides a brighter glow. It also means there is less chance of the LED strip or controller shorting out, making it safer. Of course it costs more to build a controller that switches the positive side of the circuit instead of the negative. That's why most competitors use negatively switched controllers with common anode LED strips. Little wonder common anode LEDs and negatively switched controllers are the default circuit design mass-produced and used throughout Asia.
- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE BASED IN THE US. Take a moment to read some of our product reviews. Go ahead and do it now. We'll wait. Don't just read the ones you see here on our website either. Search the internet. Look at some of the candid consumer comments found on Amazon, Facebook or any number of RV or motorcycle related forums. While no company is perfect, we think you'll find a common thread in our product reviews: 1) superior product quality and 2) outstanding customer service. Of course the fact that we've been in business since 1989 helps but we don't think you'll find any serious competitor who comes close to the quality of our products and our customer service. Perhaps best of all is the fact all Boogey Lights® products are designed, assembled and supported in the UNITED STATES by Americans. By comparison, the leading competitor at least in the RV sector is 100% made in Asia and sold to the US market by a company in Canada that doesn't even offer telephone support.
Take a look at just about any website offering reviews for RV lighting products and you'll see a lot of complaints about quality, design and durability.
There's a reason customers are complaining. The quality of the materials used in the manufacturing of LED light strips and controller components is important particularly when used outdoors on vehicles that move, flex and vibrate. Heat, cold, wind, rain, dirt and vibration are factors that must be taken into consideration when producing LED lighting for outdoor, motorsports applications. Cheaper brands don't pay attention to these important details because it costs more. There's more ...
- Boogey Lights® remote controller devices are capable of powering as many as 2100 LEDs on a single controller whereas the leading competitor only has a single option of 300 LEDs. Plus, if you want to go even higher, we have controller options to do that too. In addition, we offer more controller options including wired and wireless. Even use your smartphone.
- Boogey Lights® remote controls have built in protection against reverse polarity and cross-connecting the LED power leads so even if you cross-wire them by accident, it won't damage the controller.
All Boogey Lights® products are Designed, Assembled and Supported in the UNITED STATES. The leading competitor is 100% made in Asia and sold to the US market by a company in Canada. For more information on this Made in the USA issue, click here.
Sure, Boogey Lights® RV outdoor lighting products may cost a little more but they'll be the last RV or camper LED lights you'll buy! At Boogey Lights® when it comes to sticking lights on vehicles that move we absolutely know what works because we've been doing it for more than 25 years.