Single-Color LED Strip - Clearance
SINGLE-COLOR LED ADD-ON Strip with 3' Power Lead
This is a clearance item. Quantities are limited. Not all product options are available for this clearance item. No warranty. No return. All items are tested to be working.
16' Hi-Intensity Single-Color LED ADD-ON strip with heat shrink 3', 4 conductor power lead. Each 16' strip includes 300, super-bright 5050 LEDs. Available in ORANGE and PINK. Your choice of BLACK or WHITE Printed Circuit Board (PCB) . Low-profile surface-mounted 5050 super-bright high-intensity LEDs, IP65 rated, 2 ounce copper PCB, 1.2mm 3M backing tape for extra holding power. 3M promoter is NOT included. If you are installing this Add-On as part of another kit (e.g. Under-Glow), there will be sufficient 3M adhesion primer included in that kit to do the add-on too. If in doubt, you can purchase extra 3M Adhesion Primer. 12vdc. These ADD-ON LED strips can be used with one of our Single-Color LED lighting base kits OR can be used on their own in a stand-alone application. They can be turned on/off with a simple pushbutton switch or one of our single color controllers (not included). If you need a longer power lead, we can modify the strip for you at an additional cost.
DOT COMPLIANCE: The AMBER and RED single color LED strips are DOT COMPLIANT. They conform to applicable provisions of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requirements.
NOTE: All Boogey Lights® LED strips are COMMON CATHODE LEDS. They share a common ground and will only work with positively switched controllers. Most LED strips on the market today are COMMON ANODE because the controller technology used to power them is less expensive to manufacture. However they're not nearly as bright and are an overall inferior design when compared with COMMON CATHODE LEDs.
NOTE ON EXTENDED USE: The LEDs used in this product are very bright; the brightest 12vdc LED lights available. They're designed to be used for accent lighting applications where they are typically powered on for a few hours (usually on a dimmed setting) and then powered off. While they can be used in functional lighting applications (e.g. bright white to temporarily illuminate a work area), the lights should NOT be left powered on for extended periods of time (e.g. 6+ hours). If the LEDs are left powered on for long periods of time - particularly on their brightest setting - the LEDs closest to the power source will have a burned look to them over time. This is because the amount of voltage being pulled through the LEDs closest to the power source will be higher than the voltage going through the LEDs further down the strip. The end result is that those LEDs closest to the power source will be hotter thus creating the burned look. This will occur mostly when displaying the color white on a full brightness setting but can also occur with other colors. For this reason, we do NOT suggest leaving these LED lights powered up for extended periods of time particularly on their brightest setting. Burned looking LEDs is NOT covered under warranty.
Direct Replacement Options: RV Awning Light
Boogey Lights® single color LED light strips can be a direct replacement for many factory installed LED RV awning lights. There are however some things to consider based on personal preference.
Without Wireless Remote Control:
If purchased without the remote control, the Boogey Lights® single color LED light strip can be used as a direct OEM replacement for most existing awning light strips installed by RV manufacturers. The Boogey Lights® single color LED strip has a positive and a negative wire that connect to 12vdc power. In most cases you can use the existing awning light wiring (and wall switch) already in place. Remove the old LED strip, install the Boogey Lights® strip where the old LED strip used to be and connect the power lead coming from the Boogey Lights strip to the existing 12vdc power leads that were used for the old LED light strip. The existing wall switch will turn on/off the LED light. Note that in this scenario the LED light cannot be dimmed. The light is either on or off.
PROS: Faster, easier to install. As close to plug-n-play as you'll find short of ordering the exact same LED light that came with your RV from the factory (if available).
CONS: The light cannot be dimmed. It's either on or off. There are no wireless remote control capabilities.
With Wireless Remote Control:
If you wish to use the wireless remote control (there are distinct advantages to doing so) you can still use the Boogey Lights® LED strip as a direct replacement however you'll need to find a location to mount the LED control box where it will be protected from the elements. In this scenario the controller power (12vdc) is connected to the existing awning light power lead coming from the inside wall switch. The LED controller is inline between the wall switch power and the LED light strip. When the wall switch is on, 12vdc power is provided to the LED controller. At that point you can use the wireless RF remote control to operate the awning light (on/off, dimming, flashing and speed control). Of course anytime you turn off the wall switch power, doing so will also turn off the awning light.
PROS: The light can be remote controlled using the included RF wireless remote which offers dimming, flashing, speed control and on/off capabilities.
CONS: Takes longer to install because the LED controller needs to be mounted in the circuit. Not all installation scenarios will have room for the LED controller to be conveniently mounted.
Regardless of which option you choose, the vast majority of LED light strips installed on RV's today are 10mm wide. So the Boogey Lights® LED strip will usually fit where the old LED strip used to be width wise. Because the Boogey Lights® LED strip is thicker than standard LED strips, if the existing LED strip is enclosed in a channel of some type you will need to verify how much room you have height wise. Boogey Lights® LED strip is 3mm (1/8") high. As for the length, the Boogey Lights® LED strip is 16' long which is typical of most every 12vdc LED light strip available today. It can be cut if your awning is shorter. If your awning is longer, most customers will simply center the 16' LED strip.
Mounting On The Awning Roller
Boogey Lights® LED strips are designed to be mounted immediately underneath the awning, affixed to the side of the RV or on the awning housing which is attached to the side of the RV. Some older awning styles have the LED strip mounted at the end of the awning on the awning roller. We do not recommend using Boogey Lights® for this type of installation as doing so will create a power lead fail-point as they roll and unroll for each use. The copper wire will eventually break and/or the stress placed at the point where the power lead attaches to the LED strip will force a failure of the LED strip. Mounting the LED light strip directly on the awning roller also means the light can only be used when the awning is fully extended. While we know some customers have used Boogey Lights® this way, our warranty does not cover this type of installation.
Designing Your Lighting Solution
There is no set installation configuration. Whether you have a motor home, bus, 5th wheel, tag-along travel trailer, pontoon boat, utility trailer, food truck or semi-truck the configuration concepts are pretty much the same. Your rig and your imagination are the only limits (well, and your budget). Here are some things to keep in mind when designing and installing our Hi-Intensity LED Strips.
- Our Hi-Intensity LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs to accommodate shorter runs. Just make sure you are cutting them where marked AND that you seal the cut end to keep moisture out.
- The maximum length of one Boogey Lights® Hi-Intensity strip is 16'. Multiple 16' strips CAN NOT be daisy chained together. If you want to do a run longer than 16', you can butt two strips together to get the desired length. That said, we rarely see an installation that required doing this for a lack of light. Boogey Lights® LEDs are so bright that one 16' strip should provide more light than you'll need. Simply centering one 16' strip will in most cases be sufficient.
- If you're using our mutli-color LED strips, the maximum number of 16' LED strips that can be powered at one time depends on which controller you're using. Our Heavy Duty controller will power at least six 16' LED strips. You might be able to get 7 depending upon your wiring. That said, it's possible to add additional controllers and manage those controllers with one RF remote. Lots of possibilities. The limitation ultimately comes down to your power source.
- If you're using our single-color LED strips, make sure you are not over-loading the circuit they are attached to. As with all lighting solutions, each LED strip should be properly fused. If for any reason there is a dead short in the strip, you want the power to that strip to be cut off to avoid over-heating and potentially burning.
- For multi-color LED strip installations, be mindful of where your power source is located as well as where you will be mounting the controller. The power lead for each Hi-Intensity strip needs to connect directly to the controller at your power source. Knowing where your controller will be mounted in relation to where the LED strip will be placed will determine how much power lead cable is needed on each LED strip.
- When mounting on the bottom of any vehicle we recommend making sure you are not mounting the strip in-line with the wheels or in areas that might be prone to a direct strike from road debris. While Boogey Lights® Hi-Intensity LED strips are made for motorsports applications, they will likely not survive a direct strike from a hard object. If you are concerned the LED strips might be hit by road debris due to their mounting location we recommend using our Heavy Duty LED Strips which are better able to survive a direct strike from road debris.
- The only way to ensure the LED light strip stays stuck to is to make sure you prepare the surface in accordance with the directions. This includes making sure the mounting surface is smooth and free from oil, wax or other solvents. Most LED light kits we sell includes 3M® promoter (aka "primer"). It's absolutely critical the surface be prepared using this 3M® promoter and that you follow the directions provided with every light kit. For the power lead wires that feed the LED strip we include some extra 3M® tape and zip tie mounts. If you purchased an LED light strip that does not include this primer, we offer primer for sale individually or in cans.
- The length of power lead between the LED light strip and the power source absolutely impacts the brightness and power consumption of the light strip. This is an important concept to keep in mind when designing your setup. For power lead lengths longer than 15 feet (and less than 76'), we recommend using 20 gauge power lead wire which we offer for sale on our website. The lower the gauge number, the thicker the cable. The thicker the cable, the less power loss there is over longer distances.
- AMPERAGE Data for most Boogey Lights products can be found on our website.
- When in doubt, call our technical support team! We're the experts. We've done this thousands of times. We know what works.