Volvo VNL Rear Fairing Accent Light Kit (GEN 2 / GEN 3)
VNL GEN2 / GEN3 Rear Fairing Accent Light Kit with 270 tri-chip LEDs
*** April 2022. Updated Configuration. *** This product has been updated to a new configuration which has the option of adding Tail/Turn/Brake light integration. In this new configuration we use plastic flat bar (or plastic L channel) which is riveted to the leading each of the fairing (either the fairing extensions or the air deflectors). That flat mounting surface is where the Rear Accent LEDs are mounted (facing toward the back of the cab). The Tail/Turn/Brake Light LEDs are mounted on the opposite side, facing rear ward.
Important! The LED strips in this kit need to be mounted to a smooth flat surface. For the Rear Fairing Accent lights, those LEDs need to be pointing directly at the back of the sleeper (and for the tail-turn-brake lights, they need to be pointing toward the rear of the truck). As such, that mounting surface needs to be parallel with the back of the sleeper. Not all trucks have a fairing mounting location that makes this possible. Some fairings extensions have air deflectors attached to them (see photo) which are pointed at the end instead of flat. This kit includes two types of plastic mounting surfaces. You will only use one of those. For trucks that a fairing edge that is flat, the plastic flat stock we include will usually work. For trucks that have a fairing with air deflectors whose leading edge comes to a point, we include some plastic L channel. That L channel can be riveted to the fairing which then provides a flat mounting surface that is more-or-less, parallel to the sleeper. We have included a couple of diagrams in the INSTALLATION section to show you what we are referring to. You will need to figure out which mounting piece works best for your truck.
The Boogey Lights® Rear Fairing Accent Light Kit for the Volvo VNL series heavy duty truck is designed to light up the area behind the sleeper producing a nice glow effect. Designed to be an ADD-ON to either our Under-Cab Accent Light Kit or Under-Glow Accent Light kit, it is available in both single color and multi-color (RGB) versions these LED light strips mount to either the fairing extension or, if you truck is equipped with air deflectors attached to the fairing extensions. LEDs are mounted on BLACK PCB. Regardless of which model, there are two LED strips on each side which point inward toward the back of the cab providing a nice glow effect (see photos, video). The four LED strips have a 20' power lead to connect to a 12v power source, switch or Boogey Lights® RGB controller. When paired with our Under-Cab Accent Light Kit or Under-Glow Light Kit, this fairing extension light kit creates a very cool lighting effect for the entire tractor. If purchasing the RGB multi-color version, the power leads will need to connect to a Boogey Lights® LED controller which can be purchased with this kit (see kit configuration drop down) - OR - if you already have our Under-Cab or Under-Glow Accent Light kits that includes an LED controller, will connect directly to the existing Boogey Lights LED Controller in either of those two kits. An LED controller is not required for Single Color LEDs however you do need some type of switching mechanism for single color LEDs which we offer as options.
Will fit both the VNL Gen 2 (2004-2018) and VNL Gen 3 ( 2019+) trucks.
Optional Tail/Turn/Brake Integration
If you're looking for more visibility from the rear of your truck, our TAIL-TURN-BRAKE light integration fits nicely to the same plastic mounting strips used for the fairing accent lights -- just on the other side facing rear-ward. The optional Tail-Turn-Brake lights consist of four of our HEAVY DUTY RED led strips, two on each side with 135 LEDs on each side of the truck. Each LED has 3 diodes. When connected to the truck's brake/tail/turn lights using the included heavy duty relays, one - two - or all three diodes in each LED light up whenever the tail lights are on, brake pedal is pressed or turning indicators engaged.
Switching & Controller ConfigurationsSingle-Color Lighting configurations
- No Switch (default). Lights will need to be wired into your existing switch. Make sure the circuit you're connecting to is capable of handling the amperage draw. This option is for Single Color LEDs only.
- Wireless RF ON/OFF with Key Fob. A simple wireless ON/OFF remote with 2 hand-held remotes and 40amp relay. The wireless ON/OFF remote is capable of switching a maximum of 5 amps however we include the 40amp relay as some of the light configurations here will draw more than 5amps. We suggest using the 40amp relay in the wiring circuit regardless. This ON/OFF remote measures 2-1/2" x 1-3/4" x 7/8". Single Color LEDs only.
- Wireless RF ON/OFF/DIM/STROB with Key Fob OR M7 style remote. A step up from the ON/OFF wireless remote that gives you the ability to also dim and strobe the LEDs. This remote measures 4-1/4" x 2-1/4" x 7/8". 10amps maximum.
- Wireless RF + Bluetooth Heavy Duty RGB Single Zone LED Controller with M7 style remote. This controller is designed to be used with RGB/Multi-Color LEDs and will power up to 1800 RGB LEDs on a single zone. In addition to ON/OFF, this controller provides DIMMING, STROBBING and FLASHING capabilities. Plus, this LED controller will work with your Android® or iOS® Smart phone equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 (max of 16 million color possibilities). With the included RF remote you get all of the functionality of our popular Multi-Function Remote Control that allows you to change between 7 colors and functions of on/off, solid on, blending, strobing, breathing, flashing, fading and dimming. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smart phone to create that custom look with over 16 million different color combinations plus three pre-sets and color rotation programming. See additional details (with video) on the Bluetooth APP and it's capabilities on the BLUETOOTH APP TAB appearing on this product page. It will also work with either the M7 Style RF wireless remote or KEYFOB style RF remote. You get the best of both worlds. This controller measures 5.5" long x 3.25" wide and 1.5" high. Note that the overall length to accommodate room for wires is 7.5". 20amps maximum.
- Wireless RF + Bluetooth Heavy Duty RGB DUAL Zone LED Controller with M7 style remote. This RGB controller has the same features and functions as the above but instead of one single zone, you can segment the lights into two distinct zones. Rated up to 3000 with no more than 1500 LEDs on each zone.
- No RGB Controller. We offer this option for situations where you may be adding this light kit to an existing Boogey Lights installation where you already have a Boogey Lights LED RGB controller. In this case you only need the RGB light kit -- not another RGB controller.
(Photos for this product show our Fairing Extension Light Kit installed on a 2015 Volvo VNL 780 with the Air Deflectors. Also shown is our Under-Cab Accent Light Kit with Heavy Duty Bluetooth Dual Zone RGB combo controller along with Air Vent light Kit. RGB Version).
DOT COMPLIANCE: The AMBER and RED single color LED strips are DOT COMPLIANT. They conform to applicable provisions of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requirements.More About the Boogey Lights® Bluetooth Smartphone APP
OTHER ITEMS YOU MAY NEED TO COMPLETE YOUR INSTALL. No two installation scenarios are the same. Not everyone shares the same installation quality goals. Some folks are OK with twisting wires together, others want to solder them. Some folks are OK with running wires where they may be seen or unprotected to save money/time, others want a tidy, clean install without any wires showing. Some folks are OK with mounting their LED strips to whatever surface they can find, others want to take the time necessary to build out appropriate mounting surfaces to provide the best lighting effect on their vehicle. The point is it's not possible to provide all the materials necessary for all installation scenarios and quality goals. Our light kits provide the essential components needed for a high-quality, functioning lighting system. Installation of our light kit to your specific vehicle may however require additional items to make it look and fit the way you want. This is particularly the case with electrical wiring and mounting of LED strips. Before proceeding with your installation we suggest you consider THESE OTHER ITEMS.
Note on color selection: Amber (and Red if facing toward the rear) are the only colors that can be used while driving. If you're buying RGB lights, the Bluetooth controller allows you to setup presets for your color selections as well as features which include dimming, strobing, breathing and color blending. In our demo truck we have one button pre-programmed for orange/amber which we also dim by 50% so it isn't so bright. Be aware however you cannot get a true ORANGE or AMBER with RGB leds. WHY NOT? You can come close by mixing equal parts RED + GREEN (and then increasing the intensity of the red just a little) using your phone and our Bluetooth APP but it is not precise. More details about this can be found here.
Installation of this led light kit takes 2 to 5 hours depending on whether or not you're connecting to an existing Boogey Lights LED controller and/or you're adding in the optional TAIL-TURN-BRAKE light integration. You can download the Installation Manual directly from our website to get an idea of what's involved.
REAR FAIRING ACCENT LIGHTS
There are 4 mounting locations. Two low-profile LED strips on each side of the truck along the end of the fairing facing in ward.. The first step is to rivet the included black plastic flat bar to each of the four fairing extensions on the truck. Our kit includes the 5/16" rivets to do this. The accent LED light strips mount to the inside of each of the plastic flat bar facing inward toward the rear of the cab. If you're installing an LED controller or switch with this kit, you'll need to remove the driver's side steps to access the batteries (all power connections come from the battery directly). Also, the LED controller can be mounted in either the driver's side storage / jockey box or passenger's side. We prefer the driver's side since it's closest to the battery bank. Regardless of which side you choose, you will need to drill a hole in the floor of that box to connect power to the battery box, led wires and antenna. The 12vdc positive side of the LED controller will connect directly to the battery bank (with fuse). The 12vdc negative side will connect to any bare metal support. If you're also installing the tail/turn/brake light kit, those RED Heavy Duty led strips will mount to the same plastic flat bar pieces but facing toward the rear of the truck. All power leads run down the fairing and from there will connect to the switching device (e.g. LED controller, on/off switch) and/or the brake / tail / turn integration point which we like to do behind the cab area for easy access.
OPTIONAL TAIL / TURN/ BRAKE ADD-ON
There are 4 mounting locations. Two heavy duty LED strips on each side of the truck along the end of the fairing facing rear-ward. The RED Tail / Turn / Brake LED light strips mount to the outside of each of the plastic flat bar facing toward the rear of the truck. The power leads from these LED strips run down the fairing and from there will connect to the relay housing which we suggest locating immediately behind the cab or similar location where the relay housing can be accessed if needed. A 10 awg battery cable needs to be run to the truck's battery and connected to the 12vdc + power with the included fuse holder. The 12vdc - needs to be connected to the frame.
For integration with the truck's tail-turn-brake lights to make the system work you need access to THREE circuits: the truck's tail light circuit, left turn signal and right turn signal. The truck's brake light uses the same light as the turn signals. Where you pull those circuits from is up to you HOWEVER we prefer to pull them directly from the rear tail light assembly on the rear the truck and then run a feeder cable up to the relay housing where the connections are made. We think it's easier (and cleaner) to do it this way while minimizing the possibility you might interfere with any of the truck's other electrical systems (which is always a concern in these situations). The reality however is that you can also find these wires in the wiring harness that runs on the inside of the frame rails back to the rear tail light assembly. On the frame (aka 'chassis') ground, it's super important to make sure the surface you're connecting to is bare metal. In many cases you'll have grind off the painted surface first. Refer to the RELAY wiring diagram at the end of the guide.
NOTE: You must use the three 40amp RELAYS we provide in the kit. Do not attempt to run the Boogey Lights tail/turn/brake light system using the truck's own lighting system power. Doing so will over-load the truck's LCM which will cause all of the lights on the truck to shut down. When that happens, you won't have any lights at all.
If you're installing the optional TAIL/TURN/BRAKE light integration, these three diagrams are needed to wire the LED strips to the truck's brake/tail/turn system.