Car Under-Glow LED Light Kit
Car Under-Glow LED Light Kit
Light up your car with a Boogey Lights® Under-Glow LED light kit! Our super bright, low profile LED strips are built tough to withstand harsh operating environments. And with more LEDs per inch than any other LED light strip on the market, nothing is brighter! This kit can be configured to provide simple under-glow (two sides - drivers and passengers), full perimeter (two sides + front + rear) and even in the wheel wells. Available in your choice of single color as well as multi-color RGB. Input voltage is 12vdc. LED light strips are constructed with 2 ounce copper PCB with 1.2mm of industrial strength 3M adhesive tape. 3M promoter included ensure these lights will stay stuck. LEDs are hi-intensity super-bright 5050 LEDs based on our low-profile surface mounted LED strips.
The single color version of this kit can be wired directly into or off existing switch if desired; or, add a wireless on/off remote. The RGB/Multi-Color version requires an LED controller to operate; make your selection from the drop down box above. The RGB LED Controllers offered are our popular COMBO RF + BLUETOOTH LED controllers. These COMBO controllers include both an RF wireless remote AND a Bluetooth APP so you can use your phone to control the ligths too. . See the CONFIGURATION TAB for more detail on these controllers.
The base under-glow kit consists of a single LED strip (4' or 6') on each side of the car (driver's and passenger's). If you want to light up more of the car, we offer options to add an LED strip under the front bumper, under the rear bumper and in the four wheel wells. See the CONFIGURATIONS tab on the navigation bar for more detail on each of these configurations.
LED LENGTHS | NUMBER OF LEDS
- 2' LED strip ~ 36 LEDs
- 4' LED strip ~ 72 LEDs
- 6' LED strip ~ 108 LEDs
- 8' LED strip ~ 144 LEDs
The LED strips used in this kit are designed to be used on vehicles that operate on paved surfaces. They are not designed for off-road use. Broken or crushed LEDs are not covered under warranty. While Boogey Lights® Hi-Intensity LED strips are made for motorsports applications, they will likely not survive a direct strike from a hard object. If you are concerned the LED strips might be hit by road debris due to their mounting location we recommend using our Heavy Duty LED Strips which are better able to survive a direct strike from road debris.
OTHER ITEMS YOU MAY NEED TO COMPLETE YOUR INSTALL. No two installation scenarios are the same. Not everyone shares the same installation quality goals. Some folks are OK with twisting wires together, others want to solder them. Some folks are OK with running wires where they may be seen or unprotected to save money/time, others want a tidy, clean install without any wires showing. Some folks are OK with mounting their LED strips to whatever surface they can find, others want to take the time necessary to build out appropriate mounting surfaces to provide the best lighting effect on their vehicle. The point is it's not possible to provide all the materials necessary for all installation scenarios and quality goals. Our light kits provide the essential components needed for a high-quality, functioning lighting system. Installation of our light kit to your specific vehicle may however require additional items to make it look and fit the way you want. This is particularly the case with electrical wiring and mounting of LED strips. Before proceeding with your installation we suggest you consider THESE OTHER ITEMS you may need.
This product has a number of configuration options. The base kit includes LED strips for each side of the car (mounts between the front and rear wheels usually allong the rocker panel or frame rail a few inches in from the edge.) You can however also add a FRONT LED strip (under the front bumper), a REAR LED strip (under the rear bumper) and in the WHEEL WELLS. Here's more information on each of the options offered. We have included a generic diagram too at the bottom of this page for reference.
Switching & Controller OptionsSingle-Color Lighting configurations
- No Switch (default). Lights will need to be wired into your existing existing switch. Make sure the circuit you're connecting to is capable of handling the amperage draw. This option is for Single Color LEDs only.
- Wireless RF ON/OFF with Key Fob. A simple wireless ON/OFF remote with 2 handheld remotes and 40amp relay. The wireless ON/OFF remote is capable of switching a maximum of 5 amps however we include the 40amp relay as some of the light configurations here will draw more than 5amps. We suggest using the 40amp relay in the wiring circuit regardless. This ON/OFF remote measures 2-1/2" x 1-3/4" x 7/8". Single Color LEDs only.
- Wireless RF ON/OFF/DIM/STROB/FADE/BREATH with Key Fob. A step up from the ON/OFF wireless remote that gives you the ability to also dim, strob, fade and "breath" the LEDs. Offered in two LED capacities. One has a maximum capacity of 300 LEDs (measures 2-1/2" x 1-3/4" x 7/8"). The other has a maximum capacity of 900 LEDs (measures 4-1/4" x 2-1/4" x 7/8"). If you're doing full perimeter plus wheel wells, select the 900 capacity version.
- Wireless RF + Bluetooth RGB LED Controller with Key Fob style remote. 900 LED Capacity. This controller is designed to be used with RGB/Multi-Color LEDs. In addition to ON/OFF, this controller provides DIMMING, STROBBING, FLASHING, COLOR BLENDING and BREATHING capabilities. Plus, this LED controller will work with your Android® or iOS® Smart phone equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 (max of 16 million color possibilities). With the included RF remote you get all of the functionality of our popular Multi-Function Remote Control that allows you to change between 7 colors and functions of on/off, blending, strobing, breathing, flashing, fading and dimming. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smart phone to create that custom look with over 16 million different color combinations plus three pre-sets and color rotation programming. See additional details (with video) on the Bluetooth APP and it's capabilities on the BLUETOOTH APP TAB appearing on this product page. It will also work with the included Key Fob RF wireless remote. You get the best of both worlds. This controller measures 4-1/4" x 2-1/4" x 7/8" with max amperage of 10amps.
- Wireless RF + Bluetooth RGB LED Controller with Key Fob style remote. 1800 LED Capacity. This controller has all the same features and capabilities as the above controller except it has double the capacity; 1800 LEDs. This controller is our single zone HEAVY DUTY LED Controll which measures 5.5" long x 3.25" wide and 1.5" high.Will switch a maximum of 1800 LEDs on a single zone (about 20 amps total).
(see photos of the RF wireless remotes referenced for these controllers in the product image carousel above)
Side LED Lengths. Make your selection from the drop down. When measuring your car make sure the mounting location is a SMOOTH, FLAT, CONTINUOUS surface to which the LED can be mounted to. The LED strip MUST be mounted flat against a single contiguous mounting surface, in a straight line. Really important the entire strip be stuck to the mounting surface and that you NOT attempt to span across mounting surfaces. If you do, the strip will almost certainly fail in the spot that isn't affixed firmly to the mounting surface (or, the point at which is spans across the two mounting surfaces). If you don't have a smooth, flat, contiguous mounting surface we recommend screwing 1.5" wide aluminum flat stock to the surface and then mount the LED strip to that flat stock. This aluminum flat stock can be purchased at just about any home improvement store or, we offer it for sale online too. Also, do not attempt to mount the strip to follow a radius. The LED strip has to be mounted in a straight line and flat. Failing to follow these mounting instructions will almost certainly result in a damaged LED strip which is not covered under warranty.
Front and Rear LED Lengths. Make your selection from the drop down. The same rules apply to mounting these LED strips as the side LED strips (see above).
Wheel Well LED Lengths. Make your selection from the drop down. Note that not all cars will accomodate the installation of an LED strip in the wheel well due to the material used lining the inside of the wheel well so be sure to look at your wheels wells first to make sure you have a surface you can mount to. When measuring your wheel wells, you're going to want to look for an area as far out as possible towards the side of the car where the glow from the LED strip will shine down on the wheels (vs on top of the tire.) The LED strips used for these wheel well lights are designed to be used on vehicles that operate on paved surfaces. Broken or crushed LEDs are not covered under warranty. While Boogey Lights® Hi-Intensity LED strips are made for motorsports applications, they will likely not survive a direct strike from a hard object. If you are concerned the LED strips might be hit by road debris due to their mounting location we recommend using our Heavy Duty LED Strips which are better able to survive a direct strike from road debris. They're more expensive but much more durable.
Here are some things to keep in mind when designing and installing your under-glow light kit. Our diagram shows the typical installation configuration.
- Our Hi-Intensity LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs to accommodate shorter runs. Just make sure you are cutting them where marked AND that you seal the cut end to keep moisture out.
- If you're using our mutli-color LED strips, the maximum number of LEDs you can power using the standard PLUS RF (or BLUETOOTH COMBO ) controller is 300 LEDs. Make sure you aren't exceeding this limit. If you need to power more than 300 LEDs, you can upgrade to our SUPER RGB CONTROLLER which is available either in the RF only version or the BLUETOOTH COMBO version.
- If you're using our single-color LED strips, make sure you are not over-loading the circuit they are attached to. As with all lighting solutions, each LED strip should be properly fused. If for any reason there is a dead short in the strip, you want the power to that strip to be cut off to avoid over-heating and potentially burning.
- For multi-color LED strip installations, be mindful of where your power source is located as well as where you will be mounting the controller. For most automotive installations, the RGB controller is usually mounted either under the driver's side front foot well (taping into the fuse block for 12vdc power there) or in the engine compartment (connecting to the battery there). All power leads coming from the each LED strip will need to come back to the controller. If you're moounting the controller in the engine compartment, make sure it's located in an area where it will remain dry.
- When mounting on the bottom of any vehicle we recommend making sure you are not mounting the strip in-line with the wheels or in areas that might be prone to a direct strike from road debris. While Boogey Lights® Hi-Intensity LED strips are made for motorsports applications, they will likely not survive a direct strike from a hard object. Broken or crushed LEDs are not covered under warranty. If you are concerned the LED strips might be hit by road debris due to their mounting location we recommend using our Heavy Duty LED Strips which are better able to survive a direct strike from road debris.
- The only way to ensure the LED light strip stays stuck to is to make sure you prepare the surface in accordance with the directions. This includes making sure the mounting surface is smooth and free from oil, wax or other solvents. Our lighting kits include 3M® promoter, although you may wish to purchase additional just in case. It's absolutely critical the surface be prepared using this 3M® promoter and that you follow the directions provided with every light kit. For the power lead wires that feed the LED strip we include some extra 3M® tape and zip tie mounts. If you purchased an LED light strip that does not include this primer, we offer primer for sale individually or in cans. Some customers will also wire-tire the strips to the bottom of their car. This is OK provided the wire ties are not pulled too tight such that they crush the PCB board which will damage the LED strip..
- The length of power lead between the LED light strip and the power source absolutely impacts the brightness and power consumption of the light strip. This is an important concept to keep in mind when designing your setup. For power lead lengths longer than 15 feet (and less than 76'), we recommend using 20 gauge power lead wire which we offer for sale. The lower the gauge number, the thicker the cable. The thicker the cable, the less power loss there is over longer distances. Most automotive installations however don't require additional power lead cable.
- If you want a cleaner installation, we offer aluminum channels with optional diffusers that snap on top of the channels. The aluminum channels can either be screwed to the surface our you use 3M VHB tape (with promoter). Once the channel is mounted to the surface, the LED strip will then affix to the aluminum channel with the diffuser snapping in on top. It makes for a very clean installation. We offer a number of styles of aluminum channels for this purpose.
- AMPERAGE Data for most Boogey Lights products can be found on our website.
- When in doubt, call our technical support team! We're the experts. We've done this thousands of times. We know what works.