Kenworth T680 Grill and Air Vent LED Light Kit
Kenworth T680 Grill and Air Vent Accent LED Light Kit
Light up your KWT680 Grill with our LED Light Kit! Optional Air Vent Light Kit too!
Light up your grill with our super-bright LED light kit built for the Kenworth T680. Available in single color (white, red, green, blue, amber, orange) as well as multi-color RGB which allows you to change the colors. Optional add-on AIR VENT light kit too. 12vdc.
Switching & Controller ConfigurationsSingle-Color Lighting configurations
- No Switch (default). Lights will need to be wired into your existing switch. Make sure the circuit you're connecting to is capable of handling the amperage draw. This option is for Single Color LEDs only.
- Wireless RF ON/OFF with Key Fob. A simple wireless ON/OFF remote with 2 hand-held remotes and 40amp relay. The wireless ON/OFF remote is capable of switching a maximum of 5 amps however we include the 40amp relay as some of the light configurations here will draw more than 5amps. We suggest using the 40amp relay in the wiring circuit regardless. This ON/OFF remote measures 2-1/2" x 1-3/4" x 7/8". Single Color LEDs only.
- Wireless RF ON/OFF/DIM/STROB with Key Fob OR M7 style remote. A step up from the ON/OFF wireless remote that gives you the ability to also dim and strobe the LEDs. This remote measures 4-1/4" x 2-1/4" x 7/8". 10amps maximum.
- Wireless RF + Bluetooth RGB LED Controller with Key Fob OR M7 style remote. This controller is designed to be used with RGB/Multi-Color LEDs. In addition to ON/OFF, this controller provides DIMMING, STROBBING and FLASHING capabilities. Plus, this LED controller will work with your Android® or iOS® Smart phone equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 (max of 16 million color possibilities). With the included RF remote you get all of the functionality of our popular Multi-Function Remote Control that allows you to change between 7 colors and functions of on/off, blending, strobing, breathing, flashing, fading and dimming. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smart phone to create that custom look with over 16 million different color combinations plus three pre-sets and color rotation programming. See additional details (with video) on the Bluetooth APP and it's capabilities on the BLUETOOTH APP TAB appearing on this product page. It will also work with either the M7 Style RF wireless remote or KEYFOB style RF remote. You get the best of both worlds. This controller measures 4-1/4" x 2-1/4" x 7/8". 10amps maximum
- No RGB Controller. We offer this option for situations where you may be adding this grill light kit to an existing Boogey Lights installation where you already have a Boogey Lights LED RGB controller. In this case you only need the RGB light kit -- not another RGB controller.
What is RGB+Amber (RGBA)?
RGBA is a new type of LED strip format Boogey Lights® developed. It is available in both our Low Profile and Heavy Duty LED strip formats. The RGBA led strip includes our core RGB tri-chip technology using a 5050 RGB LED with the addition of a fourth 2835 diode that is AMBER. Designed primarily for motor vehicle applications, that fourth AMBER diode can be wired to a separate switch on the dash (or tied into a relay to work with existing running lights) that allows you to quickly and easily turn on just the AMBER leds. Then, for those who want the flexibility to be able to display up to 16 million color combinations using the RGB tri-chip, they can do that too. RGB + A provides the best of both worlds. Single color amber plus RGB tri-chip multi-color. The product photo carousel of this product page includes a close-up view of the LED strip design and wiring diagram. Note that due to the addition of that fourth diode, the RGBA strips are a little wider than our standard tri-chip RGB and single color LED strips. Also, the power lead wires use five conductor vs four. For additional information including product specs, click the SPECS navigation tab on this product page.
Single Color vs Multi-Color
Single colors are going to be brighter than multi-color LEDs. The reason is that in a multi-color (e.g. RGB) LED there are three diodes: red, green and blue. The LED controller mixes those three colors to create up to 16 million possible colors. For example, equal amounts of red + green + blue = white. In a single color LED, all three diodes are the same color. So in a single color white LED, there are three white LEDs which is much brighter than an RGB led mixed to show white. If you're looking for the absolute brightest color, go with single color. If however you want to be able to change the colors and/or mix custom colors as well as harness the power of the LED controller to save pre-sets, program different color rotations (e.g. red - white - blue), flash, strobe, blend or make the lights breath, go with multi-color.
For RGB multi-color led lighting an LED Controller is needed to operate the lights. The controller is what operates the lights and mixes the colors. In addition to providing a wireless on/off capability, the LED controllers offered allow you to control your lights with your Bluetooth 4.0 enabled smart phone and our free smart phone APP (Android and IOS) OR the included RF wireless remote. With the included RF remote you can change between 7 colors (white, red, blue, green, light blue, lime green, pink) and functions of on/off, blending, strobing, breathing, flashing, fading and dimming. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smart phone to create that custom look with over 16 million different color combinations plus three pre-sets along with color rotation programming with either 2 or 3 color sets. There is significantly more detail, including a video, on the BLUETOOTH APP navigation tab on this product page.
NOTE: If purchasing RGB, be aware that an RGB LED cannot create the color orange. It can come close but not exact. Why? RGB leds have three color diodes: RED, GREEN and BLUE. It's the mixing of these three colors together that create other colors. The color ORANGE is created by mixing RED + YELLOW. The color YELLOW is created by mixing RED + GREEN. With an RGB LED, there is only one RED diode so it can only be used once. To get something that looks more like orange to the human eye using RGB LEDs you need to mix equal amounts of RED + GREEN (actually just a bit less green since the human eye is more sensitive to green wavelengths). This will give you the color YELLOW. Then, increase the intensity of the RED just a little (or, pull back the green). This will essentially add a little red to the yellow to effectively mix a color that has an orange tint which is closer to AMBER. It's not perfect but it's as close as you can get to the color orange using RGB led lights. If the color orange is really important to you, purchase the RGBA led strips. You can create a very nice deep orange color by mixing 100% RED + 100% AMBER with the RGBA led strip.
DOT COMPLIANCE: The AMBER and RED single color LED strips are DOT COMPLIANT. They conform to applicable provisions of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requirements.
All Boogey Lights® LED strips are COMMON CATHODE LEDS. They share a common ground and will only work with positively switched controllers. Most LED strips on the market today are COMMON ANODE because the controller technology used to power them is less expensive to manufacture. However they're not nearly as bright and are an overall inferior design when compared with COMMON CATHODE LEDs.
Installation takes 3-5 hours depending on whether or not you're integrating with another light kit. Here are the basic steps. You can download the Installation Manual directly from our website to get an idea of what's involved.
- You do not have to remove the grill for this installation. All of the work can be done from inside. That said, it is easier if you remove the grill and do the work from the front of the truck facing the open grill.
- There are four mounting locations: A, B, C and D. See photo layout below. LED strips A and D (30 LEDs each) are mounted on a 20" piece of black L angle which is riveted to the hood. LED strips B and C (39 LEDs each) are mounted on 26" black L angle which is rived to the hood. See photos for placement. Note that the plastic L angle for LED segments B and c are riveted to the hood in such a way that a portion of the L angle blocks the side view of the LED strip. This is important. The goal is only to see the glow from the lights -- not the LEDs themselves. If you don't mount the L angle this way, you'll be able to see the LED strip itself when looking at the grill.
- Before mounting the LED strips, be sure to clean the surface of the L angles where the LED strip will be mounted with alcohol and then prep with 3M Adhesion Primer. It's important to make sure this area is clean and free of dirt, oil or grease before proceeding.
- Decide which side of the truck the power lead will route. In our installation we routed it out on the driver's side.
- Once you have the power lead cable in the engine compartment, you can continue with wiring the LEDs to power and/or a switch.
- To install the optional Air Vent lights, you'll need to remove the outer grill on each side of the hood first. Then, clean the area on top and bottom of the vent opening on the inside. Then, attach the LED strips; one on top and one on the bottom of the hole vent on each side. You'll need to drill a hole in the bottom of the hood to allow the power leads from each side of the vents to exit the hood structure into the engine bay. The air vent power leads will need to connect into the same circuit as the grill lights do so they operate together. See photo below for placement.