Kenworth T680 Grill and Air Vent Accent LED Light Kit
Light up your KWT680 Grill with our LED Light Kit! Optional Air Vent Light Kit too!
Light up your grill with our super-bright LED light kit built for the Kenworth T680. Offered in multi-color RGB, RGBA, Dual Color (your choice of 7 primary colors + amber) and single color (8 choices) configurations. Optional add-on AIR VENT light kit too. 12vdc.
Single-Color Lighting configurations
- No Switch (default). Lights will need to be wired into your existing switch. Make sure the circuit you're connecting to is capable of handling the amperage draw. This option is for Single Color LEDs only.
- Single Color w/Push-Button ON/OFF, Relay and battery connection wiring. Includes the single color light kits you select PLUS a wired push-button on/off switch, relay and battery connection wiring. The push-button switch can be surface mounted or mounted through a 3/8" hole
- Single Color w/RF Wireless ON/OFF, Relay and battery connection wiring. Includes the single color light kits you select PLUS a wireless on/off RF remote control, relay and battery connection wiring.
Multi-Color Lighting configurations
- Wireless RF + Bluetooth RGB LED Controller with RF wireless remote. This controller is designed to be used with RGB/Multi-Color LEDs. In addition to ON/OFF, this controller provides DIMMING, STROBBING and FLASHING capabilities. Plus, this LED controller will work with your Android® or iOS® Smart phone equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 (max of 16 million color possibilities). With the included RF remote you get all of the functionality of our popular Multi-Function Remote Control that allows you to change between 7 colors and functions of on/off, blending, strobing, breathing, flashing, fading and dimming. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smart phone to create that custom look with over 16 million different color combinations plus three pre-sets and color rotation programming. See additional details (with video) on the Bluetooth APP and it's capabilities on the BLUETOOTH APP TAB appearing on this product page. You get the best of both worlds. This controller measures 4-1/4" x 2-1/4" x 7/8". 10amps maximum
- No RGB Controller. We offer this option for situations where you may be adding this grill light kit to an existing Boogey Lights installation where you already have a Boogey Lights LED RGB controller. In this case you only need the RGB light kit -- not another RGB controller.
- Dual Color. No switching or battery connection wiring included. Assumes you are going to be wiring the lights into an existing 12vdc circuit with your own switches. Be sure to allocate additional amperage draw which depending upon the color, can be as much as 3.3 amps per 300 LEDs. In all cases we strongly suggest using a heavy duty 30 or 40 AMP automotive relay when wiring Boogey Lights to your existing system.
- Dual Color with On/Off switches, two relays and battery connection wiring with two 30amp fuse holders.
SINGLE COLOR VS MULTI-COLOR
Single colors are going to be brighter than RGB (multi-color) LEDs. The reason is that in an RGB LED there are three diodes: red, green and blue. The LED controller mixes those three colors to create other colors. For example, equal amounts of red + green + blue = white. In a single color LED, all three diodes are the same color. So in a single color white LED, there are three white LEDs which is much brighter than an RGB led mixed to show white. If you're looking for the absolute brightest color for your truck, go with single color. If however you want to be able to change the colors from time to time, go with RGB. Just be aware that the RGB version of isn't as bright as the single color version.
RGB / Multi-Color: For RGB led lighting an LED Controller is needed to operate the lights. The controller is what operates the lights and mixes the colors. In addition to providing a wireless on/off capability, the LED controllers offered allow you to control your lights with your Bluetooth enabled smart phone and our free smart phone APP (Android and IOS) OR the included RF wireless remote. With the included RF remote you can change between 7 colors (white, red, blue, green, light blue, lime green, pink) and functions of on/off, blending, strobing, breathing, flashing, fading and dimming. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smart phone to create that custom look with over 16 million different color combinations plus three pre-sets along with color rotation programming with either 2 or 3 color sets. See controller tab for more details on controller capabilities.
NOTE: If purchasing RGB, be aware that an RGB LED cannot create the color orange. It can come close but not exact. Why? As mentioned previously, RGB leds have three color DIODES: RED, GREEN and BLUE. It's the mixing of these three colors together that create other colors. The color ORANGE is created by mixing RED + YELLOW. The color YELLOW is created by mixing RED + GREEN. With an RGB LED, there is only one RED diode so it can only be used once. To get something that looks more like orange to the human eye using RGB LEDs you need to mix equal amounts of RED + GREEN (actually just a bit less green since the human eye is more sensitive to green wavelengths). This will give you the color YELLOW. Then, increase the intensity of the RED just a little (or, pull back the green). This will essentially add a little red to the yellow to effectively mix a color that has an orange tint which is closer to AMBER. It's not perfect but it's as close as you can get to the color orange using RGB led lights.
If you really like orange but want the flexibility that RGB provides, we suggest using RGBA. RGBA will create a nice rich orange color by mixing equal parts RED and AMBER.
WHAT IS RGB + AMBER (RGBA)?
RGBA is a new type of LED strip format Boogey Lights® developed. It is available in both our Low Profile and Heavy Duty LED strip formats. The RGBA led strip includes our core RGB tri-chip technology using a 5050 RGB LED with the addition of a fourth 2835 diode that is AMBER. Designed primarily for motor vehicle applications, that fourth AMBER diode can be wired to a separate switch on the dash (or tied into a relay to work with existing running lights) that allows you to quickly and easily turn on just the AMBER leds. Then, for those who want the flexibility to be able to display up to 16 million color combinations using the RGB tri-chip, they can do that too. RGB + A provides the best of both worlds. Single color amber plus RGB tri-chip multi-color. The product photo carousel of this product page includes a close-up view of the LED strip design and wiring diagram. Note that due to the addition of that fourth diode, the RGBA strips are a little wider than our standard tri-chip RGB and single color LED strips. Also, the power lead wires use five conductor vs four. For additional information including product specs, click the SPECS navigation tab on this product page.
WHAT IS DUAL COLOR?
The Dual Color LED configuration uses our RGBA LED strip but instead of pairing that LED strip with an RGB LED controller (to mix up to 16 million different color combinations), we hard wire a combination of one, two or all three of the RGB diodes (red, green or blue) along with the AMBER diode to two on/off switches. One switch operates the primary color diode(s). The other switch operates the amber diode. There are a total of seven Dual Color configuration options: RED+AMBER, GREEN+AMBER, BLUE+AMBER, MAGENTA+AMBER, YELLOW+AMBER, CYAN+AMBER, WHITE+AMBER. With a Dual Color configuration you don't need an LED Controller. Instead, you only need two switches (and relays); one to control each color. The primary color is chosen from the available dual color drop down list. The secondary color is always amber.
The AMBER and RED single color LED strips are DOT COMPLIANT. They conform to applicable provisions of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requirements.
OTHER ITEMS YOU MAY NEED
No two installation scenarios are the same. Not everyone shares the same installation quality goals. Some folks are OK with twisting wires together, others want to solder them. Some folks are OK with running wires where they may be seen or unprotected to save money/time, others want a tidy, clean install without any wires showing. Some folks are OK with mounting their LED strips to whatever surface they can find, others want to take the time necessary to build out appropriate mounting surfaces to provide the best lighting effect on their vehicle. The point is it's not possible to provide all the materials necessary for all installation scenarios and quality goals. Our light kits provide the essential components needed for a high-quality, functioning lighting system. Installation of our light kit to your specific vehicle may however require additional items to make it look and fit the way you want. This is particularly the case with electrical wiring and mounting of LED strips. Before proceeding with your installation we suggest you consider THESE OTHER ITEMS.
USING 3M ADHESION PRIMER
To achieve the full adhesive strength of the 3M® tape affixed to the back of each strip 3M® Adhesion Promoter (aka Primer) must be applied to the mounting surface first. This is an important step to ensure a secure bond. The 3M® Adhesion Promoter creates a chemical bond between the tape and the mounting surface such that the LED strip will stay stuck (at least until you decide you want to remove it). Using any other solvent such as rubbing alcohol or acetone is not the same thing as using 3M® Adhesion Promoter. While these solvents will help clean the surface, they do not prime the surface. There is a difference. 3M® Adhesion Promoter is included with this kit although you may elect to purchase more if you'd like.
IMPORTANT NOTE ON UV/PURPLE LEDS
True purple LED's are actually ultra-violet (UV). They produce a soft, pleasant purple glow particularly when used on or near shiney reflective surfaces (e.g. chrome motorcycle engines). The color however is not a real bright effect like you'll get with any of the other LED single colors. If you want a subtle, purple glow that looks great, then the UV/LED's may well be for you. If however you want the brightest lights possible, you will not be happy with UV/Purple. We do not recommend UV Purple for Semi-Truck applications for this very reason. The alternative to UV/Purple is MAGENTA (some call it a 'hot purple') which looks similar but has a brighter, pinkish tint. Magenta is available by mixing 100% RED + 100% BLUE which is what our single color Magenta is. You can also mix magenta using our RGB LEDs and an LED controller. Scroll through the photo carousel of this product to see an example of how the MAGENTA looks on a truck when installed. You can also click on the SPECIFICATIONS tab of this product page and scroll down to see photos of all color options.
Will Boogey Lights® Work with Other Brands?
The short answer is probably not. All Boogey Lights® RGB LED strips are COMMON CATHODE LEDS. They share a common ground and will only work with positively switched controllers. Most LED strips on the market today are COMMON ANODE because the controller technology used to power them is less expensive to manufacture. However they're not nearly as bright and are an overall inferior design when compared with COMMON CATHODE LEDs. For more information, click the button below.
Why Boogey Lights®?
Unlike most every other light kit out there, these light kits are ACCENT LIGHT KITS. When mounted properly, you'll never see the LED lights themselves. You'll only see the glow from the LEDs. If you're interested in learning more about WHY Boogey Lights are different than any other LED lighting system on the market, click here: WHY BOOGEY LIGHTS . We do a deep dive into the ten differences between Boogey Lights® and all the others.
Installation takes 3-5 hours depending on whether or not you're integrating with another light kit. Here are the basic steps. You can download the Installation Manual directly from our website to get an idea of what's involved.
- You do not have to remove the grill for this installation. All of the work can be done from inside. That said, it is easier if you remove the grill and do the work from the front of the truck facing the open grill.
- There are four mounting locations: A, B, C and D. See photo layout below. LED strips A and D (30 LEDs each) are mounted on a 20" piece of black L angle which is riveted to the hood. LED strips B and C (39 LEDs each) are mounted on 26" black L angle which is rived to the hood. See photos for placement. Note that the plastic L angle for LED segments B and c are riveted to the hood in such a way that a portion of the L angle blocks the side view of the LED strip. This is important. The goal is only to see the glow from the lights -- not the LEDs themselves. If you don't mount the L angle this way, you'll be able to see the LED strip itself when looking at the grill.
- Before mounting the LED strips, be sure to clean the surface of the L angles where the LED strip will be mounted with alcohol and then prep with 3M Adhesion Primer. It's important to make sure this area is clean and free of dirt, oil or grease before proceeding.
- Decide which side of the truck the power lead will route. In our installation we routed it out on the driver's side.
- Once you have the power lead cable in the engine compartment, you can continue with wiring the LEDs to power and/or a switch.
- To install the optional Air Vent lights, you'll need to remove the outer grill on each side of the hood first. Then, clean the area on top and bottom of the vent opening on the inside. Then, attach the LED strips; one on top and one on the bottom of the hole vent on each side. You'll need to drill a hole in the bottom of the hood to allow the power leads from each side of the vents to exit the hood structure into the engine bay. The air vent power leads will need to connect into the same circuit as the grill lights do so they operate together. See photo below for placement.