Peterbilt 379/389 Under-Glow LED Light Kit
PeterBilt 379/389 Under-Glow LED Light Kit
Light up your Pete with 840 Hi-Intensity LEDs in our Under-Glow Light Kit!
Light up the area under your Pete with our super-bright 840 LED light kit. Available in single color (white, red, green, blue, amber, orange) as well as multi-color RGB which allows you to change the colors. This kit can also be combined with our BREATHER LIGHT KIT and / or our GRILL LIGHT KITs for the 379/389 too. 12vdc.
- Single Color. This is the default configuration. Just the Under-Glow LED light kit containing 840 LEDs in 16 different LED strips for the 379/389. No switching or battery connection wiring included. Assumes you are going to be wiring the lights into an existing 12vdc circuit or switch. Be sure to allocate additional amperage draw which depending upon the color, can be as much as 3.3 amps per 300 LEDs.
- Single Color w/RF Wireless ON/OFF + battery connection wiring. Includes the Under-Glow LED light kit (single color) PLUS a wireless on/off RF remote control, relay and battery connection wiring.
- Multi-Color / RGB w/Wireless LED Controller + battery connection wiring. Includes the RGB multi-color LED light kit plus your choice of wireless RF/Bluetooth combo LED controllers along with battery connection wiring. NOTE: You have two LED Controller options here: One is a single zone which is recommended for when you're only lighting up the under-glow. Max capacity is 1800 LEDs. The other is a dual zone with a max capacity of 3000 LEDs (1500 per zone). The dual zone LED controller allows you to setup two different lighting zones. The dual zone LED controller is recommended for customers who are buying the Under-Glow LED light kit plus the Grill and/or Breather LED light kits. You can for example assign zone one to the Under-Glow LEDs and zone two to the Grill/Breather LEDs.
Single Color vs RGB (Multi-Color)
Single colors are going to be brighter than RGB (multi-color) LEDs. The reason is that in an RGB LED there are three diodes: red, green and blue. The LED controller mixes those three colors to create other colors. For example, equal amounts of red + green + blue = white. In a single color LED, all three diodes are the same color. So in a single color white LED, there are three white LEDs which is much brighter than an RGB led mixed to show white. If you're looking for the absolute brightest color for your truck, go with single color. If however you want to be able to change the colors from time to time, go with RGB. Just be aware that the RGB version of isn't as bright as the single color version.
RGB / Multi-Color: For RGB led lighting an LED Controller is needed to operate the lights. The controller is what operates the lights and mixes the colors. In addition to providing a wireless on/off capability, the LED controllers offered allow you to control your lights with your Bluetooth 4.0 enabled smart phone and our free smart phone APP (Android and IOS) OR the included RF wireless remote. With the included RF remote you can change between 7 colors (white, red, blue, green, light blue, lime green, pink) and functions of on/off, blending, strobing, breathing, flashing, fading and dimming. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smart phone to create that custom look with over 16 million different color combinations plus three pre-sets along with color rotation programming with either 2 or 3 color sets. See controller tab for more details on controller capabilities.
What is RGB+Amber (RGBA)?
RGBA is a new type of LED strip format Boogey Lights® developed. It is available in both our Low Profile and Heavy Duty LED strip formats. The RGBA led strip includes our core RGB tri-chip technology using a 5050 RGB LED with the addition of a fourth 2835 diode that is AMBER. Designed primarily for motor vehicle applications, that fourth AMBER diode can be wired to a separate switch on the dash (or tied into a relay to work with existing running lights) that allows you to quickly and easily turn on just the AMBER leds. Then, for those who want the flexibility to be able to display up to 16 million color combinations using the RGB tri-chip, they can do that too. RGB + A provides the best of both worlds. Single color amber plus RGB tri-chip multi-color. The product photo carousel of this product page includes a close-up view of the LED strip design and wiring diagram. Note that due to the addition of that fourth diode, the RGBA strips are a little wider than our standard tri-chip RGB and single color LED strips. Also, the power lead wires use five conductor vs four. For additional information including product specs, click the SPECS navigation tab on this product page.
NOTE: If purchasing RGB, be aware that an RGB LED cannot create the color orange. It can come close but not exact. Why? As mentioned previously, RGB leds have three color DIODES: RED, GREEN and BLUE. It's the mixing of these three colors together that create other colors. The color ORANGE is created by mixing RED + YELLOW. The color YELLOW is created by mixing RED + GREEN. With an RGB LED, there is only one RED diode so it can only be used once. To get something that looks more like orange to the human eye using RGB LEDs you need to mix equal amounts of RED + GREEN (actually just a bit less green since the human eye is more sensitive to green wavelengths). This will give you the color YELLOW. Then, increase the intensity of the RED just a little (or, pull back the green). This will essentially add a little red to the yellow to effectively mix a color that has an orange tint which is closer to AMBER. It's not perfect but it's as close as you can get to the color orange using RGB led lights.
All Boogey Lights® LED strips are COMMON CATHODE LEDS. They share a common ground and will only work with positively switched controllers. Most LED strips on the market today are COMMON ANODE because the controller technology used to power them is less expensive to manufacture. However they're not nearly as bright and are an overall inferior design when compared with COMMON CATHODE LEDs.
Installation of this led light kit takes 6 to 8 hours to do properly. You can download the installation manual directly from our website to get an idea of what's involved.
All of the LEDs in this kit are built on our Heavy Duty LED strips. Each strip is encased in rubber with a 36" power lead. Each LED strip will have to have it's power lead extended (using the included power lead cable) based on where the LED strip is located on the truck. In total there are 16 different mounting locations in this kit and all of the power leads need to be carefully run.
The mounting areas are focused in the following areas: Under the front bumper, across the rear and the following locations for each side of the truck:
- front of steps
- on-top-of step
- under-fuel tank
- top of fuel tank
- under frame rear of cab
- under frame on top of axels.
See photo with layout indicated.
For power, you'll need access to the driver's side steps to access the batteries. Also, if you're installing an LED controller, the LED controller can be mounted in either the driver's side storage box or the passenger's. We elected to install it in the passenger's side since it was less cluttered. While either location will work, be aware if you mount the controller in the passenger's side, you'll need to extend the positive battery cable a little further than if you mounted the controller in the drivers side storage. The 12vdc + power going to the LED Controller should connect directly to the 12vdc+ terminal on your truck's battery bank. You can connect the ground wire on the LED controller to any metal part of the chassis. Regardless of which side bay you use, you will need to drill a hole in the floor of that box to connect power to the battery box, led wires and antenna. All of the our Heavy Duty LED strips include a 3' power lead. Most of the strips will need to have additional power lead cable added which we include in the kit. Where possible, we recommend connecting all of LED strips in similiar locations together and then running one feeder cable back to the LED controller. Doing so reduces the total number of power leads coming back to the LED controller. . Regardless, we strongly recommend planning out your install on paper first. Be sure to wrap all power leads in split-loom which is also included and then secure them to the truck using the included zip ties.
These are the LED placement locations we used for this kit. It's important to follow this placement pattern to ensure the LED strips are protected. Mounting them in any other way voids warranty. See photo with layout indicated.
- Under Front Bumper: 1 - 75 LED heavy duty LED strip.
- Under Rear Frame Cross Member: 1 - 45 LED heavy duty LED strip
For each side of the truck
- front of steps: 1 - 15 LED heavy duty strip
- under-steps: 1 - 30 LED heavy duty strip
- on-top-of step: 1 - 45 LED heavy duty strip
- under-fuel tank: 1 - 75 LED heavy duty strip, mounted on 55" long plastic flat bar (provided in kit)
- top of fuel tank: 1 - 75 LED heavy duty strip mounted to bottom of sleeper shining down on fuel tank
- under frame rear of cab: 1 - 75 LED heavy duty strip mounted to bottom of frame rail.
- under frame on top of axles. 1 - 45 LED heavy duty strip mounted to bottom of top frame rail shining down.