Multi-Color LED Awning Light Kit For RVs, Campers, & Trailers
The Boogey Lights® Multi-Color LED awning light kit is designed to attach to the side of an RV, trailer or camper just beneath the awning. Each LED strip is 16 feet long containing 300 LEDs and can be cut if needed to fit your application. Width is 3/8" (10mm). Height is 1/8" (3mm). On full power it provides an incredible amount of light in a wide variety of colors you control with the included wireless RF remote control; either the large format M7 or the compact KEY FOB; your choice. The M7 style remote is the most popular because of it's nine large, easy-to-use and see buttons. It measures 3.5" x 1.5" x .25". Some customers however prefer the KEY FOB RF remote as it is smaller, includes two of them and easily connects to a key chain. Plus, it has a stronger wireless signal. Regardless of which wireless remote you choose, you can also use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone and our free IOS/Android APP to operate the lights. The above photos show our optional UNDER-GLOW LED kit which is affixed to the bottom of the RV shining down on the ground.
Awning Longer than 16'?
The maximum length of a single LED strip is 16'. The laws of physics won't allow it to go longer with today's technology. If you have an awning that is longer than 16' (e.g. 20'), you have two options. One is to simply center the 16' LED strip in that 20' space. Boogey Lights are already very bright so for most folks, having enough light is never a concern. That said, some prefer to have full coverage of the entire 20' area. In that case it's possible to cover that entire 20' span using two LED strips. In the case of a 20' span you could use the stock 16' and add a 4' add-on led strip. Or, order two - 10' LED strips. Regardless of how you break up the 20' span, the two LED strips (totalling 20') are installed such that the two LED strips butt together; end to end, which gives the illusion of a single 20' LED strip. We have a diagram of how this is accomplished on the INSTALLATION tab.
PCB Color: Select BLACK or WHITE PCB. Details on why this might be important to you are below.
Coating Tint: Select CLEAR (default) or SMOKE tint. Details on why this might be important to you are below.
Optional: Add Power Converter: Boogey Lights LED lighting systems are native 12vdc systems. As long as you have 12vdc power available, that's all you need. Some folks however prefer to use 120vac because it might be more easily accessible in their RV. If so, we offer both a 5AMP and 10AMP AC to DC power converter.
Optional: Add Long Range M7 Remote: The long range M7 remote will at least double the transmission distance of the standard M7 wireless remote. You can add this long range M7 remote. Only works if you select the M7 wireless Remote Style.
Optional: Add Extra 3M Adhesion Primer: All of our lighting kits come with 3M adhesion primer sufficient to do the installation. Some folks however prefer to order extra; just in case.
Have a question you can't find the answer to here? Check out our FAQ's of the most commonly asked questions.
Boogey Lights® RF Controllers (both the KEY FOB and M7 controllers) displays seven colors (steady on + four lighting effects):
- RED, GREEN, BLUE, WHITE, LIGHT BLUE, BOOGEY LIGHTS GREEN (LIME GREEN/YELLOW), HOT PINK/PURPLE
The lighting effects options for our RF Controller include:
- DIMMING, FADING, BREATHING, STROBING
The RF remote control offers SEVEN levels lighting effects (e.g. 7 levels of dimming) .
- M7 Remote uses one CR2025 3v alkaline battery (included with remote). This is the standard remote included with the M7 controller. Depending upon where the controller is mounted in your RV, it will provide 10-50 feet of control. The amount of metal that surrounds the installation location impacts the distance of the radio signal. The KEY FOB remote uses one 12v MN27 alkaline battery (included) and provides better range than the M7 due to the increased voltage (12vdc vs 3vdc).
- Optional M7 Long Range Remote uses one A27 12v alkaline battery (included with remote). This optional M7 Long Range remote will at least double the distance of the standard M7 3v remote.
Series 2 Bluetooth + RF Combo
Programmable Color Rotation Feature
With any of the Boogey Lights® BLUETOOTH controllers you can control your awning lights with your Bluetooth 4.0 enabled Android or IOS smartphone. These high-tech controllers are capable of displaying 16 million different color combinations. In addition, lighting effects on the Smartphone controller are signficantly more controllable in terms of speed and intensity. Each color and lighting effect is controlled by "sliders" or a color square on your smartphone screen so you can adjust the speed and intensity to get the lighting exactly the way you want it. Our controllers operate on 12vdc which is readily available on just about any RV. Also, all of our SERIES 2 Bluetooth Combo controllers include an RF remote control allowing for quick on/off of the controller. You can operate this controller with the included RF wireless remote (your choice of M7 or KEYFOB remotes) OR you can use your Bluetooth 4.0 enabled smartphone and our free smartphone APP (Android and IOS). We also offer an optional 110vac to 12vdc power converter if desired.
Series 2 Firmware - Programmable Color Rotation
With the introduction of our new SERIES 2 controller firmware the Boogey Lights® Bluetooth APP and controller offer the ability to program the controller to display two or three colors of your choice and then rotate those colors in sequence. For example, let's say it's Fourth of July and you want your lights to rotate through the color sequence of RED, WHITE and BLUE . Or, perhaps your favorite sports team's colors are Red and White and you want your lights to continually rotate through a color sequence of RED and WHITE. This SERIES 2 firmware controller and smartphone APP will do that - and more. You can for instance vary the speed of the sequence as well as the brightness. You can also choose from one of two different sequencing effect modes: BREATHING or ROLLING. Additionally, you can save these configurations in up to three presets such that you're able to recall the lighting configuration with a press of a button. This functionality only works when using your Bluetooth device - not with the included RF wireless remote control. NOTE: This functionality is only for the Bluetooth COMBO controllers.
Standard LED Awning Kit Note: Instead of the WIRELESS Remote Control you have the option of selecting our 3 KEY WIRED REMOTE CONTROL. Some customers prefer this wired version (versus the wireless) as it simplifies the operation of the lights by eliminating the wireless remote. The lights are controlled by pressing a button on the control box. With the wired remote control you can control the color, mode and speed. Use the included push button switch to power it on or off. Note: The switch and the control box needs to be mounted in a location you can access to control the lights.
Want More Power To Handle More Lights?
No problem! While most installations only require one 300 LED strip (about 16' long), there may be instances where customers have a longer awning and want to power additional LEDs. For those situations we offer these two CONTROLLER upgrade options to handle the additional power requirements (ADD-ON LED strips need to be purchased separately):
- Upgrade to our RF Wireless SUPER Version Controller (supports up to 900 LEDs - 3 strips, add-on strips need to be purchased separately this is just the controller upgrade)
- Upgrade to our COMBO BLUETOOTH + RF Wireless SUPER Version Controller (supports 900 LEDs - 3 strips, add-on strips need to be purchased separately this is just the controller upgrade)
Add-on LED Light Strips
This Awning Kit includes ONE 300 LED Strip. We offer ADD-ON multi-color LED light strips which can be purchased separately. Our ADD-ON strips available in WHITE and BLACK PCB and in lengths of 4', 8', 12' and 16'. You have your choice of 10', 15', 25' and 50' color match power leads. If purchasing an ADD-ON strip, make sure you are purchasing an upgraded controller to handle the additional power requirements. If you have questions about this, please call us.
Bluetooth Wireless Controller: With any of our BLUETOOTH controllers you can control the operation of the LED Awning Lights using your Bluetooth 4.0 enabled Android or IOS smartphone. You provide the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) equipped smart phone with Bluetooth 4.0. The Apple iPhone running iOS 5 or higher (iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 ) and Android® phones running version 4.3 (Jellybean) or higher typically have the Bluetooth 4.0 technology (Sorry, if you have a flip phone it won't work.) The Boogey Lights® smartphone APP is FREE and can be downloaded directly from the Google Play Store or Apple iTunes.
Upgrade LED Awning kit also includes:
- Bluetooth Controller Wiring Diagram
- Bluetooth Smartphone Controller Manual
Android and Apple IOS APPs have to be downloaded (FREE) from their respective app stores (Google Play Store and Apple iTunes App Store).
For an indepth look into why Boogey Lights® RV Lighting products are superior, visit Why Buy Boogey Lights® RV & Camper Lighting Kits.
Why Does The Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Color Matter?
LED lights are mounted to a Printed Circuit Board (or PCB for short). The color of that PCB makes a difference in how the finished installation looks in the daylight. Our LED light strips come in two versions to match the surface the strip will be attached to. If you have a light colored RV, you will probably want to order the WHITE PCB light strip. If you have a dark colored RV, you will probably want to order the BLACK PCB light strip.
Note: All Boogey Lights® LED strips are COMMON CATHODE LEDS. They share a common ground and will only work with positively switched controllers. Most LED strips on the market today are COMMON ANODE because the controller technology used to power them is less expensive to manufacture. However they're not nearly as bright and are an overall inferior design when compared with COMMON CATHODE LEDs.
Clear Coating or Smoke Tinted Coating
We now offer the option of SMOKE TINTED COATING for our Black PCB LED strips instead of the standard clear coating on our Awning LED Light kits. The smoke tinted LED strip (see photo above) has a nicer daylight look when mounted in plain sight. Some customers prefer this look on their RVs as it blends better particularly with darker color paint schemes. This is a cosmetic option only for LED strips that are mounted where they can be seen in the daylight. It is important to note that this smoke tinted coating does reduce the brightness of the LEDs by about 40%. Boogey Lights LED strips are already incredibly bright (particularly when used on an awning light) so many folks don't mind the reduction in brightness but it is something to be aware of. If you want the absolute brightest Awning Light strip, go with the default clear coat selection. If you want the LED strip to blend in better with your RV's paint scheme during the daytime (and the installation to look a little more finished) and you're OK with a little less light, the tinted coating might be better.
A Word About 12vdc Power
All Boogey Lights® controllers operate on 12vdc which is readily available on just about any RV. We also offer an optional 120vac to 12vdc power converter if desired. Our entry level base controller (M7 Style or RF KEY FOB version) is designed to work with 12vdc power between 11.9 and 13 vdc which works with the vast majority of RVs. However depending upon your RV's power source (charger or inverter), the amount of dc voltage your RV is putting out may exceed these design specifications (commonly referred to as over-voltage). In this situation our entry level base controller will either shut itself off or the LEDs will dim if the voltage level exceeds the range for too long. This is to protect the circuitry in the controller from getting too hot. In these situations we suggest either upgrading to the optional SUPER or COMBO CONTROLLERS which are more robust with more sophisticated over-voltage circuitry built-in. You can also purchase our optional BATTERY SAVER which can be used inline to protect the controller. If you're unsure or have questions, give one of our technicians a call.
Other Accessory Options
There are a number of options available which you may wish to consider. If you have a question as to what you need, call us! We're here to help.
- Long Range M7 Remote Control. This wireless RF remote control doubles (at least) the effective range of our standard wireless RF remote control. Works better too in situations where the controller is mounted inside or behind metal surfaces. Can be paired with any of our M7 compatible controllers. Includes A27, 12vdc battery.
- 110vac to 12vdc power converter. In situations where you don't have access to sufficient 12vdc power, you can use this 110vac to 12vdc power converter.
- Four conductor power lead wire available in BLACK and WHITE. Typically used in situations where you need to extend to a power source further away than the standard 15' long power leads will reach.
- Waterproof Quick Disconnects. These handy waterproof quick-disconnectors can be used in situations where you want to be able to remove a power lead. These 4 conductor quick-disconnects make it simple.
- Additional M7 RF Remotes. If you want an extra RF remote (or need to replace one), this is the answer. You can pair up to three M7 remotes with one controller.
- Dual Lock Recloseable Fasteners. We've found this 3M® Dual Lock fastening system to be the perfect solution for mounting Boogey Lights® controllers in locations where you might want to be able to remove them at some point in the future. Use this Dual Lock Fastener instead of the permanent 3M® double-sided tape.
OTHER ITEMS YOU MAY NEED TO COMPLETE YOUR INSTALL. No two installation scenarios are the same. Not everyone shares the same installation quality goals. Some folks are OK with twisting wires together, others want to solder them. Some folks are OK with running wires where they may be seen or unprotected to save money/time, others want a tidy, clean install without any wires showing. Some folks are OK with mounting their LED strips to whatever surface they can find, others want to take the time necessary to build out appropriate mounting surfaces to provide the best lighting effect on their vehicle. The point is it's not possible to provide all the materials necessary for all installation scenarios and quality goals. Our light kits provide the essential components needed for a high-quality, functioning lighting system. Installation of our light kit to your specific vehicle may however require additional items to make it look and fit the way you want. This is particularly the case with electrical wiring and mounting of LED strips. Before proceeding with your installation we suggest you consider THESE OTHER ITEMS.
NOTE ON EXTENDED USE: The LEDs used in this product are very bright; the brightest 12vdc LED lights available. They're designed to be used for accent lighting applications where they are typically powered on for a few hours (usually on a dimmed setting) and then powered off. While they can be used in functional lighting applications (e.g. bright white to temporarily illuminate a work area), the lights should NOT be left powered on for extended periods of time (e.g. 6+ hours). If the LEDs are left powered on for long periods of time - particularly on their brightest setting - the LEDs closest to the power source will have a burned look to them over time. This is because the amount of voltage being pulled through the LEDs closest to the power source will be higher than the voltage going through the LEDs further down the strip. The end result is that those LEDs closest to the power source will be hotter thus creating the burned look. This will occur mostly when displaying the color white on a full brightness setting but can also occur with other colors. For this reason, we do NOT suggest leaving these LED lights powered up for extended periods of time particularly on their brightest setting. Burned looking LEDs is NOT covered under warranty.
Extra 3M Adhesion Primer
3M Promoter is a powerful adhesion primer. It's an essential step in the installation process but you don't need much of it to make it work. A simple single swipe on the surface you're mounting the light strip to is all you need. Our lighting kits include enough 3M Adhesion Primer to mount the strips in the kit for most installations. Some customers however feel better if they "paint" the mounting surface completely with it -- which is fine if you want to but not necessary. The problem is that 3M Adhesion Primer isn't readily available everywhere; particularly weekends, holidays and evenings. If you use all of the primer that's included with the kit but run out before you're finished, you'll have to wait to finish the job until you get more adhesion primer. If you're one of those people who would prefer to have a little adhesion primer left-over just in case, we offer the option of adding an additional bottle to your order.
Direct Replacement Options
Boogey Lights® MULTI-COLOR RGB LED awning light kits aren't in most cases a direct replacement for a factory installed LED awning light. The reason is because most factory installed LED awning lights are single color - not multi-color. A multi-color RGB awning light requires an LED controller (the "brains") to operate the LED strip, create/mix the various colors and wirelessly control the available lighting features. Whereas a single color LED light only needs 12vdc power (12v+, 12v-) to turn it on or off. So if you're looking for a direct replacement for a single color factory installed awning light and you only want to display one color, check out our SINGLE COLOR AWNING LIGHT KITS. That said, there are some options to incorporate your existing single color factory installed on/off wall switch to control your multi-color LED awning light. Read on if you're interested in learning more ...
Installing a Multi-Color RGB LED Awning Light Strip Using Existing Factory Installed Single Color Wiring and Wall Switch
If you've looked at or downloaded our installation instructions for this product you probably noticed we recommend wiring the LED controller directly a fused, 12vdc power source either inside the RV or to the house batteries. For 5th wheel and travel trailers its often easier to wire directly to the house batteries. With motorhomes it's often easier to connect to a 12vdc power source inside the RV itself. If inside the RV, the LED controller is typcially mounted in a cabinet, closet or other hidden area. In this scenario the existing factory installed awning light power cable and wall switch typically aren't used, but it doesn't have to be that way. There are a couple of options to incorporate the existing factory installed switch with your Boogey Lights RGB LED light.
OPTION 1: The first option is to use the existing factory installed on/off wall switch to toggle power on/off to the Boogey Lights LED controller. In this scenario the LED controller power (12vdc) is connected to the existing awning light power lead coming from the factory installed wall switch. The LED controller is inline between the wall switch power and the LED light strip which is mounted on the RV under the awning. When the wall switch is on, 12vdc power is provided to the Boogey Lights LED control box. At that point you can use the Boogey Lights wireless RF remote control (or bluetooth smartphone APP) to operate the awning light (on/off, dimming, flashing, speed control, change colors, etc). Of course anytime you turn off the wall switch power, doing so will also turn off the awning light. So to turn on the LED controller, you first have to turn on the wall switch and then use your wireless remote (RF or Bluetooth) to operate the Boogey Lights RGB awning light. This configuration also assumes the 12vdc circuit the factory installed switch is connected is sufficiently sized to handle the amperage of the Boogey Lights awning light strip you're installing. In our view, while this configuration will usually work, it's clumsy. Not ideal. We believe there's a better option to incorporate the existing factory installed wall switch with RGB lights which brings us to the second option.
OPTION 2: The second option is to use the existing factory installed wall switch to turn on/off a BRIGHT WHITE light using the Boogey Lights RGB LED strip -- just like the factory installed awning light used to do. Then, using the Boogey Lights wireless remote (RF or Bluetooth) you can access all of the other colors and features (e.g. dimming, flashing, color rotation, speed control, programming mode, etc.). In our view this is the best of both worlds. You can keep the functionality of the existing factory installed wall switch to turn on/off a bright white light under the awning while also having the functionality and advanced features of a multi-color awning light complete with wireless RF and bluetooth control. If you're interested in configuring your Boogey Lights RGB awning light this way, we offer this WIRING DIAGRAM AND VIDEO showing how to do it. It requires a little more time to do the installation but we believe it's worth it.
Regardless of which installation technique you use, the vast majority of LED light strips installed on RV's today are 10mm wide. So the Boogey Lights® LED strip will usually fit where the old LED strip used to be width wise. Because the Boogey Lights® LED strip is thicker than standard LED strips, if the existing LED strip is enclosed in a channel of some type you will need to verify how much room you have height wise. Boogey Lights® LED strip is 3mm (1/8") high. As for the length, the Boogey Lights® LED strip is 16' long which is typical of most every 12vdc LED light strip available today. It can be cut if your awning is shorter. If your awning is longer, most customers will simply center the 16' LED strip.
Mounting On The Awning Roller
Boogey Lights® LED strips are designed to be mounted immediately underneath the awning, affixed to the side of the RV or on the awning housing which is attached to the side of the RV. Some older awning styles have the LED strip mounted at the end of the awning on the awning roller. We do not recommend using Boogey Lights® for this type of installation as doing so will create a power lead fail-point as they roll and unroll for each use. The copper wire will eventually break and/or the stress placed at the point where the power lead attaches to the LED strip will force a failure of the LED strip. Mounting the LED light strip directly on the awning roller also means the light can only be used when the awning is fully extended. While we know some customers have used Boogey Lights® this way, our warranty does not cover this type of installation.
Installing the Boogey Lights® LED awning kit is relatively simple. Typical installation time is about 90 minutes. Some things to keep in mind before you start.
- WE STRONGLY SUGGEST BENCH TESTING YOUR LIGHTS AND CONTROLLER BEFORE MOUNTING! We cannot emphasize this enough. Probably 95% of all calls we receive from customers are about problems or issues that could have easily been avoided had the customer taken the extra 15 minutes to bench test their lighting setup before installation. Not only does bench testing give you an opportunity to understand the configuration, it also will flush out any problems or misunderstanding about the product and use before mounting.
- Make sure you know where your electrical connection will be. Most RVs (motorhome, travel trailer or fifth wheel) have an electrical access panel somewhere on the side of the RV where 12vdc power is available.
- Decide how you are going to connect the power lead coming from your LED light strip to the power source. Many RV awnings (particularly motorized awnings) have a mounting bar that is already affixed to the side of the RV. If so, you can usually run the power lead cable coming from the LED light strip inside that mounting bar. If not, you can use some flexible Wire Trak™ raceway to hide the power lead cable. The Wire Trak™ raceway uses the same 3M tape technology our Boogey Lights do so it's easy to affix the raceway to the side of your RV.
- The only way to ensure the LED light strip stays stuck to the side of your RV is to make sure you prepare the surface in accordance with the directions. Every LED light kit we sell includes 3M promoter (aka "primer"). It's absolutely critical the surface be prepared using this special 3M promoter and that you follow the directions provided with every light kit.
- If you need to cut the LED strip, make sure you do it before affixing to your RV. Our LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs and are clearly marked.
- We have had customers install the awning light to the end of the awning on the roller instead of to the side of the RV/Camper. The challenge with this installation scenario is running the power lead back to the RV. There are a couple of options, one of which is to use one of our quick-disconnect connectors but of course you have to disconnect/reconnect the power cord every-time you want to use it. The other is to snake the power lead wire through the seam on the side of the awning material.
- 3M Adhesion Primer. We now provide small bottles of 3M Adhesion Promoter for our products (instead of the tiny tubes). All you need is a shop rag, sponge or towel of some kind to apply the promoter to the surface. Once you paint on the promoter you have at least an hour to mount the light strip although we recommend proceeding immediately after painting the surface with the 3M Promoter.
- When in doubt, call our technical support team! We're the experts. We've done this thousands of times. We know what works.
- AMPERAGE Data for all Boogey Lights products can be found on our website.
Have An Existing Wall Switch You Want to Use?
If you have an existing factory installed wall switch and you want to use that wall switch to turn on/off a bright white light under the awning while also having the functionality and advanced features of a RGB multi-color awning light complete with wireless RF and bluetooth control, we offer this WIRING DIAGRAM AND VIDEO showing how to do it. It requires a little more time to do the installation but we believe it's worth it.
Awning Longer than 16'?
Is your awning longer than 16' and your want full coverage? Here's a diagram of how to accomplish that using two LED strips
Did we mention that using the 3M® Adhesion Promoter included in this kit is an important step in the installation process you should not skip?