Multi-Color LED RV Awning Light Kit
Multi-Color LED Awning Light Kit For RVs, Campers, & Trailers
The Boogey Lights® Multi-Color LED awning light kit is designed to attach to the side of an RV, trailer or camper just beneath the awning. Each LED strip is 16 feet long and can be cut if needed to fit your application. Width is 3/8" (10mm). Height is 1/8" (3mm). On full power it provides an incredible amount of light in a wide variety of colors you control with the included wireless remote control. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone and our free IOS/Android APP to operate the lights. The above photos show our optional UNDER-GLOW LED kit which is affixed to the bottom of the RV shining down on the ground.
Wireless Remote Style: We offer two RF wireless remote control options from which to choose. The M7 style remote is the most popular because of it's nine large, easy-to-use and see buttons. Each button has one function so no sharing of functions. It measures 3.5" x 1.5" x .25". The KEY FOB style remote is smaller and is key chain ready. It has four smaller buttons each of which have more than one function. It measures 1.75" x 1" x .5". Both of these controllers are BLUETOOTH Smartphone Capable. This allows you to control the awning light with your Bluetooth capable smartphone and our free APP (IOS or Android).
PCB Color: Select BLACK or WHITE PCB. Details on why this might be important to you are below.
Add Power Converter: Boogey Lights LED lighting systems are native 12vdc systems. As long as you have 12vdc power available, that's all you need. Some folks however prefer to use 120vac because it might be more easily accessible in their RV. If so, we offer both a 5AMP and 10AMP AC to DC power converter.
Add Long Range M7 Remote: The long range M7 remote will at least double the transmission distance of the standard M7 wireless remote. You can add this long range M7 remote. Only works if you select the M7 wireless Remote Style.
Add Extra 3M Adhesion Primer: All of our lighting kits come with 3M adhesion primer sufficient to do the installation. Some folks however prefer to order extra; just in case.
Have a question you can't find the answer to here? Check out our FAQ's of the most commonly asked questions.
Boogey Lights® RF Controllers (both the KEY FOB and M7 controllers) displays seven colors:
- RED, GREEN, BLUE, WHITE, LIGHT BLUE, BOOGEY LIGHTS GREEN (LIME GREEN/YELLOW), HOT PINK/PURPLE
The lighting effects options for our M7 and KEYFOB RF Conrollers include:
- DIMMING, FADING, BREATHING, STROBING
The M7 remote control offers SEVEN levels lighting effects (e.g. 7 levels of dimming) whereas the KEYFOB remote control offers 4 levels.
- M7 Remote uses one CR2025 3v alkaline battery (included with remote). This is the standard remote included with the M7 controller. Depending upon where the controller is mounted in your RV, it will provide 10-50 feet of control. The amount of metal that surrounds the installation location impacts the distance of the radio signal.
- KEY FOB Remote uses one MN27 12v alkaline battery (included with remote)
- Optional M7 Long Range Remote uses one A27 12v alkaline battery (included with remote). This optional M7 Long Range remote will at least double the distance of the standard M7 3v remote.
Upgrade To Series 2 Bluetooth + RF Combo
Now With Programmable Color Rotation Feature
With any of the Boogey Lights® BLUETOOTH controllers you can control your awning lights with your Bluetooth 4.0 enabled Android or IOS smartphone. These high-tech controllers are capable of displaying 16 million different color combinations. In addition, lighting effects on the Smartphone controller are signficantly more controllable in terms of speed and intensity. Each color and lighting effect is controlled by "sliders" or a color square on your smartphone screen so you can adjust the speed and intensity to get the lighting exactly the way you want it. Our controllers operate on 12vdc which is readily available on just about any RV. Also, all of our SERIES 2 Bluetooth Combo controllers include an RF remote control allowing for quick on/off of the controller. You can operate this controller with the included RF wireless remote (your choice of M7 or KEYFOB remotes) OR you can use your Bluetooth 4.0 enabled smartphone and our free smartphone APP (Android and IOS). We also offer an optional 110vac to 12vdc power converter if desired.
Series 2 Firmware - Programmable Color Rotation
With the introduction of our new SERIES 2 controller firmware in January 2017 the Boogey Lights® Bluetooth APP and controller now offer the ability to program the controller to display two or three colors of your choice and then rotate those colors in sequence. For example, let's say it's Fourth of July and you want your lights to rotate through the color sequence of RED, WHITE and BLUE . Or, perhaps your favorite sports team's colors are Red and White and you want your lights to continually rotate through a color sequence of RED and WHITE. This SERIES 2 firmware controller and smartphone APP will do that - and more. You can for instance vary the speed of the sequence as well as the brightness. You can also choose from one of two different sequencing effect modes: BREATHING or ROLLING. Additionally, you can save these configurations in up to three presets such that you're able to recall the lighting configuration with a press of a button. This functionality only works when using your Bluetooth device - not with the included RF wireless remote control. NOTE: This functionality is only for the Bluetooth COMBO controllers.
Standard LED Awning Kit Note: Instead of the WIRELESS Remote Control you have the option of selecting our 3 KEY WIRED REMOTE CONTROL. Some customers prefer this wired version (versus the wireless) as it simplifies the operation of the lights by eliminating the wireless remote. The lights are controlled by pressing a button on the control box. With the wired remote control you can control the color, mode and speed. Use the included pushbutton switch to power it on or off. Note: The switch and the control box needs to be mounted in a location you can access to control the lights.
Want More Power To Handle More Lights?
No problem! While most installations only require one 300 LED strip (about 16' long), there may be instances where customers have a longer awning and want to power additional LEDs. For those situations we offer these two CONTROLLER upgrade options to handle the additional power requirements (ADD-ON LED strips need to be purchased separately):
- Upgrade to our RF Wireless SUPER Version Controller (supports up to 900 LEDs - 3 strips, add-on strips need to be purchased separately this is just the controller upgrade)
- Upgrade to our COMBO BLUETOOTH + RF Wireless SUPER Version Controller (supports 900 LEDs - 3 strips, add-on strips need to be purchased separately this is just the controller upgrade)
Add-on LED Light Strips
This Awning Kit includes ONE 300 LED Strip. We offer ADD-ON multi-color LED light strips which can be purchased separately. Our ADD-ON strips available in WHITE and BLACK PCB and in lengths of 4', 8', 12' and 16'. You have your choice of 10', 15', 25' and 50' color match power leads. If purchasing an ADD-ON strip, make sure you are purchasing an upgraded controller to handle the additional power requirements. If you have questions about this, please call us.
Bluetooth Wireless Controller: With any of our BLUETOOTH controller options the kit includes everything our Standard kit has except you can upgrade to your choice of one of our BLUETOOTH enabled controllers. These high-tech controllers will allow you to control the operation of the LED Awning Lights using your Bluetooth 4.0 enabled Android or IOS smartphone. You provide the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) equipped smart phone with Bluetooth 4.0. The Apple iPhone running iOS 5 or higher (iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 ) and Android® phones running version 4.3 (Jellybean) or higher typically have the Bluetooth 4.0 technology (Sorry, if you have a flip phone it won't work.) The Boogey Lights® smartphone APP is FREE and can be downloaded directly from the Google Play Store or Apple iTunes.
Upgrade LED Awning kit also includes:
- Bluetooth Controller Wiring Diagram
- Bluetooth Smartphone Controller Manual
Android and Apple IOS APPs have to be downloaded (FREE) from their respective app stores (Google Play Store and Apple iTunes App Store).
For an indepth look into why Boogey Lights® RV Lighting products are superior, visit Why Buy Boogey Lights® RV & Camper Lighting Kits.
Why Does The Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Color Matter?
LED lights are mounted to a Printed Circuit Board (or PCB for short). The color of that PCB makes a difference in how the finished installation looks in the daylight. Our LED light strips come in two versions to match the surface the strip will be attached to. If you have a light colored RV, you will probably want to order the WHITE PCB light strip. If you have a dark colored RV, you will probably want to order the BLACK PCB light strip.
Please Note: The environmentally safe epoxy coating used to seal our LED strips will tend to have a yellowish tint over time – typically in a year or so. It will be more noticeable on LEDs mounted on white PCB vs black PCB. This yellowing does not impact the functionality of the LEDs. Also, strips that are exposed to UV sunlight won't tend to exhibit the yellowish tint as much as those that are used indoors.
Note: All Boogey Lights® LED strips are COMMON CATHODE LEDS. They share a common ground and will only work with positively switched controllers. Most LED strips on the market today are COMMON ANODE because the controller technology used to power them is less expensive to manufacture. However they're not nearly as bright and are an overall inferior design when compared with COMMON CATHODE LEDs.
A Word About 12vdc Power
All Boogey Lights® controllers operate on 12vdc which is readily available on just about any RV. We also offer an optional 120vac to 12vdc power converter if desired. Our entry level base controller (M7 Style or RF KEY FOB version) is designed to work with 12vdc power between 11.9 and 13 vdc which works with the vast majority of RVs. However depending upon your RV's power source (charger or inverter), the amount of dc voltage your RV is putting out may exceed these design specifications (commonly referred to as over-voltage). In this situation our entry level base controller will either shut itself off or the LEDs will dim if the voltage level exceeds the range for too long. This is to protect the circuitry in the controller from getting too hot. In these situations we suggest either upgrading to the optional SUPER or COMBO CONTROLLERS which are more robust with more sophisticated over-voltage circuitry built-in. You can also purchase our optional BATTERY SAVER which can be used inline to protect the controller. If you're unsure or have questions, give one of our technicians a call.
Other Accessory Options
There are a number of options available which you may wish to consider. If you have a question as to what you need, call us! We're here to help.
- Long Range M7 Remote Control. This wireless RF remote control doubles (at least) the effective range of our standard wireless RF remote control. Works better too in situations where the controller is mounted inside or behind metal surfaces. Can be paired with any of our M7 compatible controllers. Includes A27, 12vdc battery.
- Battery Saver. Our standard LED controller is designed to work in 12vdc environments. If the controller senses power greater than 12.9vdc, the controller will either shut down or dim. In these situations by installing our Battery Saver in-line before the controller, the controller will operate properly even though voltage is greater than specified.
- 110vac to 12vdc power converter. In situations where you don't have access to sufficient 12vdc power, you can use this 110vac to 12vdc power converter.
- Four conductor power lead wire available in BLACK and WHITE. Typically used in situations where you need to extend to a power source further away than the standard 15' long power leads will reach.
- Wire Trak™ raceway used to hide power wires without drilling into your RV. This convenient, flexible and durable plastic raceway is easy to install (it uses 3M tape just like Boogey Lights® does) and does a great job of hiding the power cables leading up to the LED strip. Makes for a nice finished look.
- Waterproof Quick Disconnects. These handy waterproof quick-disconnectors can be used in situations where you want to be able to remove a power lead. These 4 conductor quick-disconnects make it simple.
- Additional M7 RF Remotes. If you want an extra RF remote (or need to replace one), this is the answer. You can pair up to three M7 remotes with one controller.
- Dual Lock Recloseable Fasteners. We've found this 3M® Dual Lock fastening system to be the perfect solution for mounting Boogey Lights® controllers in locations where you might want to be able to remove them at some point in the future. Use this Dual Lock Fastener instead of the permanent 3M® double-sided tape.
Extra 3M Adhesion Primer
3M Promoter is a powerful adhesion primer. It's an essential step in the installation process but you don't need much of it to make it work. A simple single swipe on the surface you're mounting the light strip to is all you need. Our lighting kits include enough 3M Adhesion Primer to mount the strips in the kit for most installations. Some customers however feel better if they "paint" the mounting surface completely with it -- which is fine if you want to but not necessary. The problem is that 3M Adhesion Primer isn't readily available everywhere; particularly weekends, holidays and evenings. If you use all of the primer that's included with the kit but run out before you're finished, you'll have to wait to finish the job until you get more adhesion primer. If you're one of those people who would prefer to have a little adhesion primer left-over just in case, we offer the option of adding additional tubes to your order. Or, if you prefer, an entire 8oz can of 3M Adhesion Primer can be added to your order.
Direct Replacement Options
Boogey Lights® MULTI-COLOR RGB LED awning light kits aren't in most cases a direct replacement for a factory installed LED awning light. The reason is because most factory installed LED awning lights are single color - not multi-color. A multi-color RGB awning light requires an LED controller (the "brains") to operate the LED strip, create/mix the various colors and wirelessly control the available lighting features. Whereas a single color LED light only needs 12vdc power (12v+, 12v-) to turn it on or off. So if you're looking for a direct replacement for a single color factory installed awning light and you only want to display one color, check out our SINGLE COLOR AWNING LIGHT KITS.
Installing a Multi-Color RGB LED Awning Light Strip Using Existing Factory Installed Single Color Wiring and Wall Switch
Typical installation of our Multi-Color RGB LED awning light kit is to wire the LED controller directly to a fused, 12vdc power source inside the RV. The LED controller is mounted inside the RV, usually in a cabinet, closet or other hidden area. In this scenario the existing power cable and wall switch from the factory installed awning light are bypassed; they aren't used at all. If however you want to install the Boogey Lights Multi-Color RGB LED awning light kit using the existing wall switch and wiring from a factory installed single color awning light, it can in most cases, be done. The challenge at least with some installations can be finding a suitable location to mount the LED control box where it will be protected from the elements. In this scenario the LED controller power (12vdc) is connected to the existing awning light power lead coming from the inside wall switch. The LED controller is inline between the wall switch power and the LED light strip which is mounted on the RV. When the wall switch is on, 12vdc power is provided to the LED control box. At that point you can use the Boogey Lights wireless RF remote control (or bluetooth smartphone APP if that option is selected) to operate the awning light (on/off, dimming, flashing, speed control, change colors, etc). Of course anytime you turn off the wall switch power, doing so will also turn off the awning light.
Regardless of which installation technique you use, the vast majority of LED light strips installed on RV's today are 10mm wide. So the Boogey Lights® LED strip will usually fit where the old LED strip used to be width wise. Because the Boogey Lights® LED strip is thicker than standard LED strips, if the existing LED strip is enclosed in a channel of some type you will need to verify how much room you have height wise. Boogey Lights® LED strip is 3mm (1/8") high. As for the length, the Boogey Lights® LED strip is 16' long which is typical of most every 12vdc LED light strip available today. It can be cut if your awning is shorter. If your awning is longer, most customers will simply center the 16' LED strip.
Mounting On The Awning Roller
Boogey Lights® LED strips are designed to be mounted immediately underneath the awning, affixed to the side of the RV or on the awning housing which is attached to the side of the RV. Some older awning styles have the LED strip mounted at the end of the awning on the awning roller. We do not recommend using Boogey Lights® for this type of installation as doing so will create a power lead fail-point as they roll and unroll for each use. The copper wire will eventually break and/or the stress placed at the point where the power lead attaches to the LED strip will force a failure of the LED strip. Mounting the LED light strip directly on the awning roller also means the light can only be used when the awning is fully extended. While we know some customers have used Boogey Lights® this way, our warranty does not cover this type of installation.
Installing the Boogey Lights® LED awning kit is relatively simple. Typical installation time is about 90 minutes. Some things to keep in mind before you start.
- WE STRONGLY SUGGEST BENCH TESTING YOUR LIGHTS AND CONTROLLER BEFORE MOUNTING! We cannot emphasize this enough. Probably 95% of all calls we receive from customers are about problems or issues that could have easily been avoided had the customer taken the extra 15 minutes to bench test their lighting setup before installation. Not only does bench testing give you an opportunity to understand the configuration, it also will flush out any problems or misunderstanding about the product and use before mounting.
- Make sure you know where your electrical connection will be. Most RVs (motorhome, travel trailer or fifth wheel) have an electrical access panel somewhere on the side of the RV where 12vdc power is available.
- Decide how you are going to connect the power lead coming from your LED light strip to the power source. Many RV awnings (particularly motorized awnings) have a mounting bar that is already affixed to the side of the RV. If so, you can usually run the power lead cable coming from the LED light strip inside that mounting bar. If not, you can use some flexible Wire Trak™ raceway to hide the power lead cable. The Wire Trak™ raceway uses the same 3M tape technology our Boogey Lights do so it's easy to affix the raceway to the side of your RV.
- The only way to ensure the LED light strip stays stuck to the side of your RV is to make sure you prepare the surface in accordance with the directions. Every LED light kit we sell includes 3M promoter (aka "primer"). It's absolutely critical the surface be prepared using this special 3M promoter and that you follow the directions provided with every light kit.
- If you need to cut the LED strip, make sure you do it before affixing to your RV. Our LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs and are clearly marked.
- We have had customers install the awning light to the end of the awning on the roller instead of to the side of the RV/Camper. The challenge with this installation scenario is running the power lead back to the RV. There are a couple of options, one of which is to use one of our quick-disconnect connectors but of course you have to disconnect/reconnect the power cord every-time you want to use it. The other is to snake the power lead wire through the seam on the side of the awning material.
- 3M Adhesion Primer. The cotton tip on the end of the 3M Promoter tube will evaporate quickly. Once you break the glass tube inside the promoter tube (we’re assuming you’re using the tubes versus a can of promoter) it’s important to use the promoter tube immediately. Do not allow it to sit around. If you do, the cotton applicator tip will dry up. Once you paint on the promoter you have at least an hour to mount the light strip although we recommend proceeding immediately after painting the surface with the 3M Promoter.
- When in doubt, call our technical support team! We're the experts. We've done this thousands of times. We know what works.
- AMPERAGE Data for all Boogey Lights products can be found on our website.
Did we mention that using the 3M® Adhesion Promoter included in this kit is an important step in the installation process you should not skip?