In this video we do a side-by-side comparison of Boogey Lights® RV LED lighting products and the leading RV LED awning product sold by most RV dealers and online camping stores. We think you'll agree the differences are significant.
MULTI-COLOR LED AWNING LIGHT KIT FOR RVS, CAMPERS & TRAILERS
The Boogey Lights® LED awning light kit is designed to attach to the side of an RV, trailer or camper just beneath the awning. Each LED strip is 16 feet long and can be cut if needed to fit your application. On full power it provides an incredible amount of light in a wide variety of colors you control with the included wireless remote control or optional wired or smartphone controller. The above photos show our optional UNDER-GLOW LED kit which is affixed to the bottom of the RV shining down on the ground.
We offer our RV Awning Light Kit with the following controller options:
- Wired 3 Key Controller (downgrade option - save $5)
- Wireless RF Controller with M7 style remote (our most popular standard awning kit - only $149.99)
- Wireless RF Controller with 2 KEY FOBS (optional smaller remote control, same price)
- Wireless Bluetooth Controller. Use your own Bluetooth enabled smartphone and our FREE APP (upgrade option). This is a Bluetooth ONLY controller.
- Wireless COMBO Bluetooth Controller and M7 style RF remote. This controller combines both Bluetooth (use your own smartphone) and RF wireless technologies (M7 remote included) in one controller unit (upgrade option).
- Wireless COMBO Bluetooth Controller and two KEY FOB RF remotes. This controller combines both Bluetooth (use your own smartphone) and RF wireless (KEY FOB included) technologies in one controller unit (upgrade option).
All Boogey Lights® controllers operate on 12vdc which is readily available on just about any RV. We also offer an optional 110vac to 12vdc power converter if desired.
Boogey Lights® RF Controllers (both the KEY FOB and M7 controllers) displays seven colors:
- RED, GREEN, BLUE, WHITE, LIGHT BLUE, BOOGEY LIGHTS GREEN (LIME GREEN/YELLOW), HOT PINK/PURPLE
The lighting effects options for our M7 and KEYFOB RF Conrollers include:
- DIMMING, FADING, BREATHING, STROBING
The M7 remote control offers SEVEN levels lighting effects (e.g. 7 levels of dimming) whereas the KEYFOB remote control offers 4 levels.
UPGRADE TO SERIES 2 BLUETOOTH + RF COMBO
Now with Programmable Color Rotation Feature.
With any of the Boogey Lights® BLUETOOTH controllers you can control your awning lights with your Bluetooth 4.0 enabled Android or IOS smartphone. These high-tech controllers are capable of displaying 16 million different color combinations. In addition, lighting effects on the Smartphone controller are signficantly more controllable in terms of speed and intensity. Each color and lighting effect is controlled by "sliders" or a color square on your smartphone screen so you can adjust the speed and intensity to get the lighting exactly the way you want it. Our controllers operate on 12vdc which is readily available on just about any RV. Also, all of our SERIES 2 Bluetooth Combo controllers include an RF remote control allowing for quick on/off of the controller. You can operate this controller with the included RF wireless remote (your choice of M7 or KEYFOB remotes) OR you can use your Bluetooth 4.0 enabled smartphone and our free smartphone APP (Android and IOS). We also offer an optional 110vac to 12vdc power converter if desired.
NEW! SERIES 2 FIRMWARE - PROGRAMMABLE COLOR ROTATION.
With the introduction of our new SERIES 2 controller firmware in January 2017 the Boogey Lights® Bluetooth APP and controller now offer the ability to program the controller to display two or three colors of your choice and then rotate those colors in sequence. For example, let's say it's Fourth of July and you want your lights to rotate through the color sequence of RED, WHITE and BLUE . Or, perhaps your favorite sports team's colors are Red and White and you want your RV or motorcycle to continually rotate through a color sequence of RED and WHITE. This SERIES 2 firmware controller and smartphone APP will do that - and more. You can for instance vary the speed of the sequence as well as the brightness. You can also choose from one of two different sequencing effect modes: BREATHING or ROLLING. Additionally, you can save these configurations in up to 3 presets such that you're able to recall the lighting configuration with a press of a button. This functionality only works when using your Bluetooth device - not with the included RF wireless remote control.
NOTE: If you purchased one of our Bluetooth controllers after August 1, 2016 you can exchange your existing controller for the new SERIES 2 Bluetooth controller for a $25 upgrade fee. Contact us for details.
STANDARD LED AWNING KIT - WHAT'S INCLUDED
Our STANDARD awning light kit includes the following:
- 1 - Multi-color (RGB) LED light strip with 300 super bright LEDs in your choice of black or white PCB (printed circuit board - see note below). Total length is 5 meters (about 16 feet) and can be cut every 3 LEDs if so desired. Each strip has authentic 3M industrial strength backing tape affixed to the back of the strip. Each LED strip has 15' of additional power lead cable (color matches the PCB color). Additional power lead cable can be purchased if needed.
- 1 - Multi-Color Wireless Remote Control with your choice of either our popular M7 TV STYLE remote control or compact KEY FOB remote control. Max draw is 2amps per color zone (6amps total) at 12vdc.
- 3M promoter tubes used in preparing the surface of your RV before affixing the LED strip.
- Wiring kit and connectors
- Installation Manual
- Controller Wiring Diagram
STANDARD LED AWNING KIT NOTE: Instead of the WIRELESS Remote Control you have the option of selecting our 3 KEY WIRED REMOTE CONTROL. Some customers prefer this wired version (versus the wireless) as it simplifies the operation of the lights by eliminating the wireless remote. The lights are controlled by pressing a button on the control box. With the wired remote control you can control the color, mode and speed. Use the included pushbutton switch to power it on or off. Note: The switch and the control box needs to be mounted in a location you can access to control the lights.
WANT MORE POWER TO HANDLE MORE LIGHTS?
No problem! While most installations only require one 300 LED strip (about 16' long), there may be instances where customers have a longer awning and want to power additional LEDs. For those situations we offer these two CONTROLLER upgrade options to handle the additional power requirements (ADD-ON LED strips need to be purchased separately):
- Upgrade to our RF Wireless SUPER Version Controller (supports up to 600 LEDs - 2 strips, add-on strips need to be purchased separately this is just the controller upgrade)
- Upgrade to our COMBO BLUETOOTH + RF Wireless SUPER Version Controller (supports 600 LEDs - 2 strips, add-on strips need to be purchased separately this is just the controller upgrade)
ADD-ON LED LIGHT STRIPS
This Awning Kit inlcudes ONE 300 LED Strip. We offer ADD-ON multi-color LED light strips which can be purchased separately. Our ADD-ON strips available in WHITE and BLACK PCB and in lengths of 4', 8', 12' and 16'. You have your choice of 10', 15', 25' and 50' color match power leads. If purchasing an ADD-ON strip, make sure you are purchasing an upgraded controller to handle the additional power requirements. If you have questions about this, please call us.
BLUETOOTH WIRELESS CONTROLLER: With any of our BLUETOOTH controller options the kit includes everything our Standard kit has except you can upgrade to your choice of one of our BLUETOOTH enabled controllers. These high-tech controllers will allow you to control the operation of the LED Awning Lights using your Bluetooth 4.0 enabled Android or IOS smartphone. You provide the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) equipped smart phone with Bluetooth 4.0. The Apple iPhone running iOS 5 or higher (iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 ) and Android® phones running version 4.3 (Jellybean) or higher typically have the Bluetooth 4.0 technology (Sorry, if you have a flip phone it won't work.) The Boogey Lights® smartphone APP is FREE and can be downloaded directly from the Google Play Store or Apple iTunes.
Upgraded LED Awning kit also includes:
For an indepth look into why Boogey Lights® RV Lighting products are superior, visit Why Buy Boogey Lights® RV & Camper Lighting Kits.
WHY DOES THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD (PCB) COLOR MATTER?
LED lights are mounted to a Printed Circuit Board (or PCB for short). The color of that PCB makes a difference in how the finished installation looks in the daylight. Our LED light strips come in two versions to match the surface the strip will be attached to. If you have a light colored RV, you will probably want to order the WHITE PCB light strip. If you have a dark colored RV, you will probably want to order the BLACK PCB light strip.
PLEASE NOTE: The environmentally safe epoxy coating used to seal our LED strips will tend to have a yellowish tint over time – typically in a year or so. It will be more noticeable on LEDs mounted on white PCB vs black PCB. This yellowing does not impact the functionality of the LEDs. Also, strips that are exposed to UV sunlight won't tend to exhibit the yellowish tint as much as those that are used indoors.
NOTE: All Boogey Lights® LED strips are COMMON CATHODE LEDS. They share a common ground and will only work with positively switched controllers. Most LED strips on the market today are COMMON ANODE because the controller technology used to power them is less expensive to manufacture. However they're not nearly as bright and are an overall inferior design when compared with COMMON CATHODE LEDs.
There are a number of options available which you may wish to consider. If you have a question as to what you need, call us! We're here to help.
- Battery Saver. Our standard LED controller is designed to work in 12vdc environments. If the controller senses power greater than 12.9vdc, the controller will either shut down or dim. In these situations by installing our Battery Saver in-line before the controller, the controller will operate properly even though voltage is greater than specified.
- 110vac to 12vdc power converter. In situations where you don't have access to sufficient 12vdc power, you can use this 110vac to 12vdc power converter.
- Four conductor power lead wire available in BLACK and WHITE. Typically used in situations where you need to extend to a power source further away than the standard 15' long power leads will reach.
- Wire Trak™ raceway used to hide power wires without drilling into your RV. This convenient, flexible and durable plastic raceway is easy to install (it uses 3M tape just like Boogey Lights® does) and does a great job of hiding the power cables leading up to the LED strip. Makes for a nice finished look.
- Waterproof Quick Disconnects. These handy waterproof quick-disconnectors can be used in situations where you want to be able to remove a power lead. These 4 conductor quick-disconnects make it simple.
Installing the Boogey Lights® LED awning kit is relatively simple. Typical installation time is about 90 minutes. Some things to keep in mind before you start.
- WE STRONGLY SUGGEST BENCH TESTING YOUR LIGHTS AND CONTROLLER BEFORE MOUNTING! We cannot emphasize this enough. Probably 95% of all calls we receive from customers are about problems or issues that could have easily been avoided had the customer taken the extra 15 minutes to bench test their lighting setup before installation. Not only does bench testing give you an opportunity to understand the configuration, it also will flush out any problems or misunderstanding about the product and use before mounting.
- Make sure you know where your electrical connection will be. Most RVs (motorhome, travel trailer or fifth wheel) have an electrical access panel somewhere on the side of the RV where 12vdc power is available.
- Decide how you are going to connect the power lead coming from your LED light strip to the power source. Many RV awnings (particularly motorized awnings) have a mounting bar that is already affixed to the side of the RV. If so, you can usually run the power lead cable coming from the LED light strip inside that mounting bar. If not, you can use some flexible Wire Trak™ raceway to hide the power lead cable. The Wire Trak™ raceway uses the same 3M tape technology our Boogey Lights do so it's easy to affix the raceway to the side of your RV.
- The only way to ensure the LED light strip stays stuck to the side of your RV is to make sure you prepare the surface in accordance with the directions. Every LED light kit we sell includes 3M promoter (aka "primer"). It's absolutely critical the surface be prepared using this special 3M promoter and that you follow the directions provided with every light kit.
- If you need to cut the LED strip, make sure you do it before affixing to your RV. Our LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs and are clearly marked.
- We have had customers install the awning light to the end of the awning on the roller instead of to the side of the RV/Camper. The challenge with this installation scenario is running the power lead back to the RV. There are a couple of options, one of which is to use one of our quick-disconnect connectors but of course you have to disconnect/reconnect the power cord every-time you want to use it. The other is to snake the power lead wire through the seam on the side of the awning material.
- When in doubt, call our technical support team! We're the experts. We've done this thousands of times. We know what works.
- AMPERAGE Data for all Boogey Lights products can be found on our website.
RV, MOTOR HOME, CAMPER CUSTOMER PHOTO GALLERY
Here are some photos customers have shared with us of their RV's lit up with Boogey Lights®
easy install very well worth the money. instead of drilling into compartment wired into pin box and mounted controller up into pin box. very satisfied customer.
Easy to install and gorgeous, now comes the fun part learning how to run them.
Had the cheep ones, these are by far better. Happy with purchase and would definitely recommend to friends.
Purchased lights for my toy hauler. Very easy install. Maybe took a half hour following instructions. Wiring was very straightforward. Yes they are more expensive than some but the colors are very intense. Spend the extra on the Bluetooth controller it is definitely worth it.
These lights are very high quality and work very well; however, I didn't give them five stars because of the installation. A little more thought could have been put into instructions on how to run the wiring to the battery without it being exposed. There has got to be a way to feed the wire through the awning mount and down to the battery compartment so it is not visible on the exterior of the trailer. Other than that installation was rather simple and the lights look great! BOOGEY LIGHTS Comment: Thanks for your business Scott. Much appreciated. Candidly, we've put a lot of thought into the installation process both internally and with a number of RV dealers around the country. The vast majority of RV professionals at dealerships drill a hole in the RV and feed the power that way to the battery box (just like the factory). In fact it's the only way most dealerships will do an install. Many DIYer's are however reluctant to drill a hole in their RV (understandable). That's why we offer a couple of alternatives such as using Wire-Trak to easily hide the wire on the outside of the rig or, running the power lead wire down the existing awning support. With there being so many RV configurations in the market today, it's impossible to offer a one-size fits all solution. So we present several options and allow the customer to make the decision as to which way they want to do it. Thank you again for your business!
I just installed the awning kit on my travel trailer. Quality seems to be very good and easy installation. They work great and are very bright. I purchased the the Wireless COMBO Bluetooth Controller and M7 style RF remote. Both work great. I'm very please so far, time will tell how they hold up.
Installed the awning light kit. FYI, make sure to read the install steps carefully. End of the month we will have our first full use of the lights.
I tried to use the generic awning lights. I went through 2 sets in 2 years. The 3rd time I found Boogey Lights. The sealed connections and the rf remote made all the difference. They are brite enough to play cards at the outside table. It works perfect year after year. But the customer service is unmatched. They are by far the best I have come across. Im a picky buyer. I do my research. I recommend Boogey Lights.
Excellent product. When they say their's is the best on the market in all comparable categories, it is so true. I bought the cheap ones from one of the competitors the first go around, let me give you some good advice, don't waste your time. These are truly the best. These come custom fit and prepared to your specs. I had a few questions about my design and with the help of one of the company reps my order was simple design for him and very simple and easy to install. Get on the phone, order you and see for yourself. You will be impressed.
The instructions were easy to follow as well as the suggestion to run the cable down the awning track helped me decide how I was going to install the lights. Thinking about purchasing an additional set to install on my pool deck.