LED Light Kit for Golf Carts
Golf Cart LED Light Kit
Light up your Golf Cart with a Boogey Lights® LED light kit!
NEW CONFIGURATION! NOV 2022. We have updated our Golf Cart LED light kit to include our latest LED lighting products: RGBW and RGBA LED strips. In addition, there's now more flexibility to order the LED lengths that best fit your golf cart.
Designed specifically for outdoor use this Golf Cart LED light kit is incredibly bright. Our low profile hi-intensity LED strips are perfect for mounting underneath your golf cart as well as under the canopy. They produce a smooth, even glow of light to give it the custom look. With more LEDs per inch than any other LED light strip on the market, nothing is brighter! This kit can be configured to provide BASIC UNDER-GLOW (two sides: drivers and passengers), FULL-PERIMETER (two sides + front + rear) and under the canopy. The lengths of the LED strips too are highly configurable to fit any Golf Cart. The kit is available in single color (8 options) as well as multi-color RGB, RGBA and RGBW. These three multi-color options are available with a Bluetooth and RF wireless control. controller. Input voltage is 12vdc that will work with both gasoline or battery powered electric motors utilizing 12v, 24v, 36v, 48v or 72v electric power (with optional voltage reducer). LED light strips are constructed with 2 ounce copper PCB with 1.2mm of industrial strength 3M adhesive tape. 3M promoter included ensure these lights will stay stuck. LEDs are hi-intensity super-bright 5050 LEDs based on our low-profile surface mounted LED strips.
The under-glow component of this LED light kit will light the area under your golf cart with any of seven different colors (multi-color version) and animate them with special effects using the included wireless RF hand held remote control. With our free Bluetooth APP and your smartphone, you can program the LED controller to display up to 16 million different colors. The optional canopy component will light the canopy area on your golf cars.
The single color version of this kit can be wired directly into or off existing switch if desired; or, add a wireless on/off remote. The RGB/Multi-Color version requires an RGB LED controller to operate; make your selection from the drop down box above. The RGB LED Controllers offered are our popular COMBO RF + BLUETOOTH LED controllers which allows you to display up to 16 million different colors. Both a single zone and dual zone LED controller are offered. See the CONFIG TAB for more detail on these controllers.
Brake Flash Feature. With our SUPER series (900 LED Capacity) COMBO BLUETOOTH + RF KEYFOB RGB LED controllers we include Brake Flash circuit integration. With this feature the LED controller can be wired such that when the brake flash circuit is energized with 12vdc power, the LED controller immediately lights up just the LEDs wired to the RED power lead output coming from the LED controller. The idea is that when the brake lever (or pedal) is pressed on the vehicle, all the red leds (or whatever color LED you have wired to the red output) will light up. This is a popular safety option designed specifically for small format vehicles such as motorcycles and golf carts. Note that the Brake Flash circuit does not have to be used. If you don't want to use the brake flash circuit, simply cap the brake flash input wire on the controller and forget about it. This feature is included with all PLUS and SUPER Key Fob Combo LED controllers.
Light Kit Configuration: Select the type of LED strip and switch/controller combination you want from the drop down. See CONFIG tab for more details on these options.
KIT Version: Select from Basic Under-Glow, Full-Perimeter Under-Glow with or without Canopy Lights. See CONFIG tab for more details on these options.
LED Color Options: Select the LED color you want from the drop down box. There are 8 possible color options (Red, Green, Blue, White, Orange, Amber, Pink and Magenta) and four multi-color options (RGB, RGBW, RGBA, RGBWW). Selecting the LED color option will adjust the available options you can select based on your color selection. See CONFIG tab for more detail on the multi-color options.
Under-Glow LED Lengths: Select the length of the LED strips you want for your Under-Glow LED strips. Note that the length options will vary based on the KIT VERSION you select above.
Canopy LED Lengths: Select the length of the LED strips you want for your Canopy LED strips. Note that the length options will vary based on the KIT VERSION you select above.
PCB Color: Select BLACK or WHITE PCB. Details on why this might be important to you are below. Not all LED colors are available in white PCB. For example, RGBW, RGBA and RGBWW are only available in Black PCB.
Optional - Add Voltage Reducer: Boogey Lights LED lighting systems are native 12vdc systems. As long as you have 12vdc power available, that's all you need. If however your cart is electric and you don't have a single 12vdc battery in the array, you can use the optional Voltage Reducer offered with this kit.
Optional - Add Extra 3M Adhesion Primer: All of our lighting kits come with 3M adhesion primer sufficient to do the installation. Some folks however prefer to order extra; just in case.
Color Options and Considerations
This light kit is offered in eight single color options and in four multi-color configurations: RGB, RGBW (RGB + warm white) and RGBA (RGB + amber). For the single color options the LED controller wireless RF remote will give you the ability to turn the LEDs on/off as well as dim, flash, strobe and breath (and change the speed at which those features work). With the bluetooth APP, you can perform these same functions as well as save presets. For the multi-color options, you have the same capabilities however the feature set is significantly expanded since you also have the ability to change/adjust/tweak the colors you want to display. With the included RF wireless remote you can change between 7 pre-set colors (Red, Green, Blue, White, Light Blue, Lime Green/Yellow, Hot Pink/Purple) and functions of on/off, blending, strobing, breathing, flashing, fading and dimming. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smart phone to create a custom look. The Bluetooth APP allows you to program the RGB diodes of any of our RGB, RGBW, and RGBA LED strips with over 16 million different color combinations plus three pre-sets. Also, the Bluetooth APP offers 2 and 3 color rotation programming. Click the APP navigation tab on this product page for significantly more information on both the Bluetooth capabilities and APP functionality (including a video showing how the Bluetooth APP works). If you want the RGBA or RGBW LED color option, we suggest buying the DUAL ZONE LED controller. Why? Because you can wire the RGB diodes in the strips to ZONE 1 of the controller and the A (or W) diode to ZONE 2 of the controller. This gives you control over both the RGB and the A (or W) diodes with one LED controller. Some customers choose to use another means to control the A (or W) diode (e.g. simple on/off switch) but in our view, the DUAL ZONE controller provides the best option.
RGBW: On the RGBW led strip, in addition to RGB, you get one extra diode which is Warm White. That warm white diode has a Kelvin temperature of 2400 which means it has a yellowish look giving it a warmer, softer, candle like look (see photo below). That fourth diode on the RGBW led strip is often wired to simple ON/OFF switch OR zone 2 of our Dual Zone LED controller. See the CONFIG tab on this product page for more details on this option.
RGBA: On the RGBA led strip, in addition to RGB, you get one extra diode which is AMBER. That fourth diode on the RGBA led strip is often wired to a simple ON/OFF switch or zone 2 of our Dual Zone LED controller. See the CONFIG tab on this product page for more details on this option.
NOTE: The RGBA and RGBW LED strips are little wider than the RGB. Instead of 10mm wide, they're 12mm wide.
WHY DOES THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD (PCB) COLOR MATTER?
This option is relevant only to the optional Canopy Lights. LEDs are mounted to a Printed Circuit Board (or PCB for short). The color of that PCB makes a difference in how the finished installation looks in the daylight. Most (but not all) of our LED light strips come in two versions to match the surface the strip will be attached to. For Golf Cart kits, the only time the PCB color will matter is for mounting under the canopy. If you are adding canopy lights and you have a light colored canopy, you will probably want to order the WHITE PCB light strip. If you have a dark colored canopy, you will probably want to order the BLACK PCB light strip. Note: All Under-Glow LED strips use black PCB.
OTHER ITEMS YOU MAY NEED TO COMPLETE YOUR INSTALL. No two installation scenarios are the same. Not everyone shares the same installation quality goals. Some folks are OK with twisting wires together, others want to solder them. Some folks are OK with running wires where they may be seen or unprotected to save money/time, others want a tidy, clean install without any wires showing. Some folks are OK with mounting their LED strips to whatever surface they can find, others want to take the time necessary to build out appropriate mounting surfaces to provide the best lighting effect on their vehicle. The point is it's not possible to provide all the materials necessary for all installation scenarios and quality goals. Our light kits provide the essential components needed for a high-quality, functioning lighting system. Installation of our light kit to your specific vehicle may however require additional items to make it look and fit the way you want. This is particularly the case with electrical wiring and mounting of LED strips. Before proceeding with your installation we suggest you consider THESE OTHER ITEMS you may need.
Product Configuration Options
This product has a number of configuration options. Here's more information on each of the options offered.
LIGHT KIT CONFIGURATION
(Switching and Controller Options)
- No Switch (default). Lights will need to be wired into a switch of some type (switch not provcided). Make sure the circuit you're connecting to is capable of handling the amperage draw. This option is for Single Color LEDs only.
- Wireless RF ON/OFF with Key Fob. A simple wireless ON/OFF remote with 2 handheld remotes and 40amp relay. The wireless ON/OFF remote is capable of switching a maximum of 5 amps however we include the 40amp relay as some of the light configurations here will draw more than 5amps. We suggest using the 40amp relay in the wiring circuit regardless. This ON/OFF remote measures 2-1/2" x 1-3/4" x 7/8". Single Color LEDs only.
- Wireless RF ON/OFF/DIM/STROB. This option is offered with either a compact KEYFOB or a larger style M7 RF wireless remote. Photos of each are included in the product carousel. This controller is step up from the ON/OFF wireless remote that gives you the ability to also dim and strob the LEDs. This remote measures 4-1/4" x 2-1/4" x 7/8". 10amps maximum.
Using the included RF wireless remote control, Boogey Lights® RGB LED Controllers displays seven colors (steady on + four lighting effects): RED, GREEN, BLUE, WHITE, LIGHT BLUE, BOOGEY LIGHTS GREEN (LIME GREEN/YELLOW), HOT PINK/PURPLE. The lighting effects options for our RF Controller include: DIMMING, BLENDING, BREATHING, STROBING. In the Blending, Breathing and Strobing modes these features can be set to remain on a single color or to cycle through each of the 7 colors. You can also adjust the speed at which this happens. The RF remote control offers SEVEN levels lighting effects (e.g. 7 levels of dimming). The BLUETOOTH enabled RGB LED controller can access significantly more features including up to 16 million color combinations, presets and color rotation programming. Click on the BLUETOOTH tab to see more detail about this Bluetooth functionality including a video on using the Bluetooth APP.
- Wireless RF + Bluetooth RGB LED Controller. Single Zone/Super 900 LED Capacity. Offered with either the compact KEY FOB hand held RF wireless remote or the larger format M7 style wireless remote (photos of these two options can be viewed in the product photo gallery). Based on our SUPER Series LED Controller. This controller is designed to be used with RGB/Multi-Color LEDs. In addition to ON/OFF, this controller provides DIMMING, STROBBING and FLASHING capabilities. Plus, this LED controller will work with your Android® or iOS® Smart phone equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 (max of 16 million color possibilities). With the included RF remote you get all of the functionality of our popular Multi-Function Remote Control that allows you to change between 7 colors and functions of on/off, blending, strobing, breathing, flashing, fading and dimming. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smart phone to create that custom look with over 16 million different color combinations plus three pre-sets and color rotation programming. See additional details (with video) on the Bluetooth APP and it's capabilities on the BLUETOOTH APP TAB appearing on this product page. It will also work with the included M7 Style RF wireless remote. You get the best of both worlds.This controller measures 4-1/4" x 2-1/4" x 7/8". Will switch a maximum of 900 LEDs on a single zone (about 20 amps total). NOTE: The KEYFOB version of this LED controller includes our BRAKE FLASH feature. The M7 version does not.
- Wireless RF + Bluetooth RGB LED Controller. Single Zone / Heavy Duty 1800 LED Capacity. Offered with either the compact KEY FOB hand held RF wireless remote or the larger format M7 style wireless remote (photos of these two options can be viewed in the product photo gallery). This controller is designed to be used with RGB/Multi-Color LEDs. This controller will power up to 1800 LEDs (20 amps) all on one single zone. This is a COMBO LED Controller in that it includes both a KEYFOB RF wireless hand-held remote and Bluetooth integration. With the included RF wireless hand-held remote you can change between 7 colors (Red, Green, Blue, White, Light Blue, Boogey Lights Green (lime green/yellow), Hot Pink/Purple) and functions of on/off, blending, strobing, breathing, flashing, fading and dimming. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smart phone to create that custom look with over 16 million different color combinations plus three pre-sets and color rotation programming functionality. See additional details (with video) and it's capabilities on the APP navigation tab appearing on this product page. With both an RF wireless remote AND bluetooth integration, you get the best of both worlds. This controller is 5.5" long x 3.25" wide and 1.5" high. Note that the overall length to accommodate room for wires is 7.5".
- Wireless RF + Bluetooth RGB LED Controller. Dual Zone / Heavy Duty 3000 LED Capacity. Offered only with the larger format M7 style hand held RF remote. This controller is based on our HEAVY DUTY Series LED Controller. This controller has the same specs as the single zone controller above EXCEPT instead on a single zone, there are TWO lighting zones. This controller allows the user to set up and operate two distinct RGB multi-color lighting zones which can be operated and controlled individually by this single LED controller. It's ideal for situations where you want to set your under-glow lights on one color and your grill or wheel well lights on another. Makes for some very cool lighting effects. Each lighting zone can contain a maximum of 1500 LEDs or about 20 amps per zone.
A Word about Controlling RGBA and RGBW LED Strips
If you're buying either of these two LED color combinations, our multi-color RGB controller will power the RGB LED components in those two LED strips. What you use to power the A (or W) diodes is up to you. It depends solely on what you're trying to do. We recommend the DUAL ZONE LED controller only because it has two distinct lighting zones so you can wire the RGB LEDs to Zone 1 and the A (or W) diode to Zone 2 but it doesn't have to be that way. You can for example use a simple on/off toggle switch to turn on/off that fourth A (or W) diode. Another option is to use our wireless on/off led controller coupled with a heavy duty relay to turn on/off that fourth diode. It ultimately comes down to how you want to use your lighting system. If you're confused or unsure about this, we urge you to give us a call at 800.847.1359 M-F, 9-5 eastern and speak with a product specialist. We can assist you with the process of determining how best to achieve the lighting effect you want.
(see photos of the RF wireless remotes referenced for these controllers in the product image carousel above)
This light kit is offered in the following four configurations:
- Basic Under-Glow w/o Canopy Lights
- Basic Under-Glow with Canopy Lights
- Full-Perimeter Under-Glow w/o Canopy Lights
- Full-Perimeter Under-Glow with Canopy Lights.
We have included a diagram below showing the approximate placement of each kit version.
(A) Basic Under-Glow: This version has two LED strips, one mounted on each side of the cart shining downward. One on the driver's side. One on the passenger's side.
(B) Full-Perimeter Under-Glow: This version has four LED strips, one mounted on each side of the cart plus one under the front and one under the rear. The idea is to provide full-perimeter lighting under the cart.
(C) Canopy Lighting: Offered as an option on both the Basic and Full-Perimeter Under-Glow kits, canopy lighting includes 2 LED light strips designed to mount on the botton of the golf cart canopy shining downward.
See diagram below. Making your kit version selection will determine which LED lengths that are available to be ordered in the configuration options that follow.
LED COLOR OPTIONS
This light kit is offered in eight single color options and in the following multi-color configurations: RGB, RGBW (RGB + warm white) and RGBA (RGB + amber). Single color simply means the LED strip is one color all the time. The color cannot be changed. The color you choose is the color you get. Multi-color means you can change or select different colors. All of the multi-color RGB options require an LED controller to operate. The advantage of RGB over a single color LED strip is that RGB gives you the ability to change colors as well as access other features. With the bluetooth interface, you can save favorite color/feature sets as well as program 2 or 3 color rotation sequences. More detail about these advanced features can be found on BLUETOOTH APP tab of this product page. With RGB you can choose between 7 (using the hand held wireless remote) and 16 million (using the bluetooth APP) different color combinations. RGBW includes all of the RGB colors and capabilities plus the addition of a warm white diode (2400 kelvin temp). Warm white is often referred to as a 'candle white' or 'soft white'. It has a yellowish tint to it and for many, is a more pleasant color of white than the bright white color that is displayed by mixing RGB leds. RGBA includes all of the RGB colors and capabilities plus the addition of an amber diode. Amber attracts fewer bugs than white. It's also not nearly as bright; easier on the eye at night which some folks prefer. Plus, with RGBA you can turn on just the RED diode of the RGB and when added with AMBER, provides a nice looking orange color; something many people enjoy. Note: Orange is not a color you can mix with just RGB so if orange is a color you want, we suggest ordering RGBA. See photo in the product images carousel of this product for an example of what the RGBA orange looks like. Make your selection from the LED COLOR OPTION drop down.
UNDER-GLOW LED LENGTHS
The Under-Glow LED strips for this kit can be purchased in lengths ranging from 3' to 8' for the two sides and 2', 3' or 4' for the front/rear. If your KIT VERSION selection is set to 'Basic Under-Glow', make your U/G length selection from one of the first 8 options in the drop down menu. The Basic U/G kit has 2 LED strips, one on the bottom of each side of the cart. If your KIT VERSION selection is set to 'Full Perimeter U/G', you have more options to choose from since you'll need to choose both the two sides lengths (3' to 8") as well as the lengths of the front and rear LED strips (2', 3' or 4'). While we urge customers to physically inspect and measure the available mounting space on the bottom of their golf cart before ordering, generally speaking, here are the most common combinations for golf cart under-glow systems:
- 4 Seat Golf Carts: 3' or 4' LED strips
- 6 Seat Golf Carts: 4' or 5' LED strips
Note: Most 2 seat golf carts use the same body structure as a 4 seat golf cart just without the seats facing toward the rear.
CANOPY LED LENGTHS
The Canopy LED strip lengths for this kit can be purchased in lengths ranging from 3' to 8'. Make your selection from the options listed in the drop down box. We urge customers to physically inspect and measure the available mounting space on the bottom of the canopy before ordering. The canopy surface you install the LED strip to has to be rigid enough such that the canopy mounting surface doesn't flex. Note too the canopy LED strip is intended to be mounted to the canopy roof facing downward. Do not mount it on the side of the canopy facing inward. This is particularly important if your canopy is often used as a handle (or, has a handle built into it) when folks get in/out of the cart. Any flexing of the canopy mounting surface – particularly lateral flexing ‐ will stress the LED strip causing it to prematurely fail (usually at the solder joint) which is not covered under warranty.
Note: A typical 4 seat golf cart canopy LED length is 4'. The typiecal 6 seat golf cart canopy LED length is 6'. The LEDs can be cut every 3 LEDs if needed. The Canopy LED option includes a push-button switch to allow you to turn the canopy off while still operating the under-glow.
VOLTAGE REDUCER (Optional.) Reduces 48/60/72vdc to 12vdc voltager. Ideal for electric golf carts that want to run 12vdc devices. This voltage converter will reduce the voltage often found on electric golf carts to 12vdc. Also referred to as a Step Down (Buck) Voltage Regulator. Measures 3.5" x 4.2" x 1.9". This converter works with any battery packs of working voltage ranging from 48 volt dc to 72 volt dc; NOT higher or lower. The input voltage is preset from manufacture and it is non-adjustable. Input Voltage: 48vdc to 72vdc. Output Voltage: 12vdc. Amps: Max amperage is 20amps.
Golf carts run on gasoline or battery powered electric motors utilizing 12v, 24v, 36v or 48v electric power. To operate this light kit you will need 12vdc power. Here are some suggestions for getting 12vdc from your cart:
- Gasoline Powered Golf Carts: Most gas carts use a single 12v battery to start the engine. Power our lights from the positive and negative post on your 12v starting battery
- 24v Electric Golf Carts: Most 24v carts use a combination of four (4) 6v batteries to achieve 24v. Power our lights from the positive post on one 6v battery and the negative post from another 6v battery
- 36v Electric Golf Carts: Most 36v carts use a combination of six (6) 6v batteries to achieve 36v. Power our lights from the positive post on one 6v battery and the negative post from another 6v battery
- 48v Electric Golf Carts: Most 48v carts use a combination of 12v batteries. If this describes your cart then just use the positive and negative from one battery. There are some brands that will use a combination of six (6) 8v batteries to achieve 48v. In this situation you will need a voltage reducer to step the power down to 12v. See optional Voltage Reducer offered with this kit.
- 48v-72v Electric Golf Carts: If you don't have a single 12vdc battery in the array, you can use the optional Voltage Reducer offered with this kit.
- WE STRONGLY SUGGEST BENCH TESTING YOUR LIGHTS AND CONTROLLER BEFORE MOUNTING! We cannot emphasize this enough. Probably 95% of all calls we receive from customers are about problems or issues that could have easily been avoided had the customer taken the extra 15 minutes to bench test their lighting setup before installation. Not only does bench testing give you an opportunity to understand the configuration, it also will flush out any problems or misunderstanding about the product and use before mounting.
- 3M Adhesion Primer. We provide small bottles of 3M Adhesion Promoter for our kits. All you need is a shop rag, sponge or towel of some kind to apply the promoter to the surface. Once you paint on the promoter you have at least an hour to mount the light strip although we recommend proceeding immediately after painting the surface with the 3M Promoter. Details on how to prepare the mounting surface are contained in the light kit.
- Install the Under-Glow Kit under each side of the cart (and front and rear if you ordered the full perimeter kit). The LED strips need If you need to cut the strip to fit you can. Just make sure you cut where marked and then seal the end of the LED strip with silicone or similiar. If your measurements are correct though you shouldn't have to cut the LED strip. Keep in mind too that the LED strip MUST be mounted flat against a single contiguous mounting surface, in a straight line. Really important the entire strip be stuck to the mounting surface and that you NOT attempt to span across mounting surfaces. If you do, the strip will almost certainly fail in the spot that isn't affixed firmly to the mounting surface (or, the point at which is spans across the two mounting surfaces). If you don't have a smooth, flat, contiguous mounting surface we recommend riveting (or screwing) 1.5" wide plastic flat bar or aluminum flat stock to the surface and then mount the LED strip to that flat stock. This flat bar can be purchased at just about any home improvement store or, we offer it for sale online too. Also, do not attempt to mount the strip to follow a radius. The LED strip has to be mounted in a straight line and flat.
- If you purchased the Canopy LED light kit, we include a push-button on/off button to allow you to turn off the Canopy lights if you wish while still keeping the Under-Glow lights on. Wiring diagram is included in the kit (and can be downloaded from our website too). NOTE: The canopy surface you install the LED strip to has to be rigid enough such that the canopy mounting surface doesn't flex. Note too the canopy LED strip is intended to be mounted to the canopy roof facing downward. Do not mount it on the side of the canopy facing inward. This is particularly important if your canopy is often used as a handle (or, has a handle built into it) when folks get in/out of the cart. Any flexing of the canopy mounting surface – particularly lateral flexing ‐ will stress the LED strip causing it to prematurely fail (usually at the solder joint) which is not covered under warranty.
- Make sure you know where you're going to make your electrical connection to the golf cart. In most golf cart installs, the LED controller or switch will be installed under the seat in the engine/battery compartment. The connection to the battery must be fused. Some carts already have a 12vdc power shunt. Others will need to go directly to the 12vdc power source. If you're unfamiliar with 12vdc power, we suggest asking someone who does to assist you with the installation.
Need additional assistance? Give us a call and we'll be happy to assist!