RV Multi-Color LED Under-Glow Light Kit
RV Multi-Color LED Under-Glow Light Kit
The Boogey Lights® LED UNDER-GLOW RV light kit is designed to attach to the bottom of an RV, trailer or camper. Our standard Under-Glow RV Light Kit includes TWO (2) LED light strips. Each LED strip is 16 feet long and can be cut if needed to fit your application . Width is 3/8" (10mm). Height is 1/8" (3mm). On full power it provides an incredible amount of light in a wide variety of colors you control either with the included RF wireless remote control and smartphone Bluetooth controller. (The above photos also show our optional AWNING kit affixed to the side of the RV shining underneath the awning.) In addition to the wireless remote control that's included, the LED controller is also bluetooth capable. This allows you to control your under-glow lights with your bluetooth capable smartphone and our free APP (IOS or Android). More details about the bluetooth can be found in the OPTIONS tab. All Under-Glow LED controllers offered include Bluetooth.
Wireless Remote Style: We offer two RF wireless remote control options from which to choose. The M7 style remote is the most popular because of it's nine large, easy-to-use and see buttons. Each button has one function so no sharing of functions. It measures 3.5" x 1.5" x .25". The KEY FOB style remote is smaller and is key chain ready. It has four smaller buttons each of which have more than one function. The KEY FOB remotes have a sliding cover to protect the keys from damage and are easy to put in your pocket without accidentally pressing any buttons. It measures 1.75" x 1" x .5".
LED Controller Capacity: Our base LED Under-Glow controller is the HEAVY Duty LED controller. It will power up to 1800 LEDS or six, 16' LED strips. This HEAVY DUTY LED controller will operate one zone meaning all LED strips attached to the LED controller will do the same thing. We offer a DUAL ZONE controller which is capable of powering up to 3,000 LEDs, with 1500 LEDs capacity on each zone. Each Lighting Zone can be controlled and programmed individually or together. More information about this controller option can be found on the OPTIONS tab.
PCB Color: Select BLACK or WHITE PCB. The default selection is BLACK.
Antenna Style: The default antenna selection is permanently attached to the LED controller. It cannot be moved or extended. We offer an Extended Range antenna option which is available on some of our LED controller configurations. More details on this option can be found on the OPTIONS tab.
Add Power Converter: Boogey Lights LED lighting systems are native 12vdc systems. As long as you have 12vdc power available, that's all you need. Some folks however prefer to use 120vac because it might be more easily accessible in their RV. If so, we offer the option to purchase one or two 10AMP AC to DC power converters.
Add Long Range M7 Remote: The long range M7 remote will at least double the transmission distance of the standard M7 wireless remote. You can add this long range M7 remote. Only works if you select the M7 wireless Remote Style.
Add Extra 3M Adhesion Primer: All of our lighting kits come with 3M adhesion primer sufficient to do the installation. Some folks however prefer to order extra; just in case.
Boogey Lights® RF Controller (included with our Standard Kit) displays seven colors:
- RED, GREEN, BLUE, WHITE, LIGHT BLUE, ORANGE/YELLOW, PINK/PURPLE
The lighting effects options for our Standard LED UNDER-GLOW Kit include:
- DIMMING, FADING, BREATHING, STROBING
Note: The M7 RF remote control offers SEVEN levels lighting effects (e.g. 7 levels of dimming) whereas the KEYFOB RF remote control offers FOUR levels.
- M7 Remote control uses one CR2025 3v alkaline battery (included with remote). This is the standard remote included with the M7 controller. Depending upon where the controller is mounted in your RV, it will provide 10-50 feet of control. The amount of metal that surrounds the installation location impacts the distance of the radio signal.
- KEY FOB Remote uses one MN27 12v alkaline battery (included with remote)
- Optional M7 Long Range Remote uses one A27 12v alkaline battery (included with remote). This optional M7 Long Range remote will at least double the distance of the standard M7 3v remote.
FYI: The above photos show our optional AWNING LED kit which is affixed to the side of the RV under the awning. If you add the optional awning LED kit you can choose to run the awning light on the same controller as the UNDER-GLOW lights OR you can use a separate controller just for the awning LEDs. We prefer to use a separate controller for the awning lights because it gives us more control over the lighting configuration. There are some camping situations where you may not want the UNDER-GLOW lights to be on (or not as bright, or the same color) as what the awning lights are set on. Having the two systems on two different controllers gives you some additional flexibility in this regard. Personal preference only.
IMPORTANT WARRANTY NOTICE FOR COMMERCIAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS
These surface mounted Hi-Intensity LED strips are NOT intended to be used on heavy duty commercial equipment or in environments where the strips are mounted on commercial vehicles frequently traveling roads treated with corrosive chemicals often used for melting snow and ice. Additionally, they are not built to withstand significant flexing of the surface the strip is mounted to. Some examples include on semi-truck trailers as well as tow trucks where there is significant movement, bending or flexing of the surface to which the strip is mounted. Hi-Intensity Strips that fail in these operating environments ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. For these types of operating environments we recommend our HEAVY DUTY LED strips.
NOTE ON EXTENDED USE: The LEDs used in this product are very bright; the brightest 12vdc LED lights available. They're designed to be used for accent lighting applications where they are typically powered on for a few hours (usually on a dimmed setting) and then powered off. While they can be used in functional lighting applications (e.g. bright white to temporarily illuminate a work area), the lights should NOT be left powered on for extended periods of time (e.g. 6+ hours). If the LEDs are left powered on for long periods of time - particularly on their brightest setting - the LEDs closest to the power source will have a burned look to them over time. This is because the amount of voltage being pulled through the LEDs closest to the power source will be higher than the voltage going through the LEDs further down the strip. The end result is that those LEDs closest to the power source will be hotter thus creating the burned look. This will occur mostly when displaying the color white on a full brightness setting but can also occur with other colors. For this reason, we do NOT suggest leaving these LED lights powered up for extended periods of time particularly on their brightest setting. Burned looking LEDs is NOT covered under warranty.
There is no set installation configuration. Whether you have a motor home, bus, 5th wheel, tag-along travel trailer, utility trailer, food truck or semi-truck the configuration concepts are pretty much the same. Your rig and your imagination are the only limits. Using the above diagram, here are some typical installation ideas to consider which have worked well for other customers.
Standard Installation - 2 Hi-Intensity LED Strips
A: The standard Under-Glow kit includes two, super bright 16' LED light strips (each with 300 LEDs). These two strips are typically mounted (centered) between the front axle and the rear axle. While the distance between the front axle and the rear axle might be longer than 16', most customers find that the two16' LED strips provide more than enough light for the area between the front and rear axles.
Want More Light? Add Full Perimeter Lighting
B & C: For additional light, you can add a 4' or 8' LED light strip at the rear and / or the front of the coach to provide full perimeter lighting. These ADD-ON strips come with your choice of a 10', 25' or a 50' power lead to accommodate almost any motor home configuration. The power leads need to run back to the 12v power source where the controller is located.
Slide-out Lighting Option
D: Depending upon the width of your slide-out you can add a 4', 8', 12' or even a 16' ADD-ON LED light strip underneath your slide-out to illuminate the area immediately below the slide-out when it is out. The 4', 8' and 12' ADD-ON strips comes with either a 10', 25' or 50' power lead. The 16' ADD-ON strip comes with your choice of a 15', 25' or 50' power lead.
ADD-ON HI-INTENSITY LED STRIPS can be purchased separately.
Some things to keep in mind when deciding how many and what type of LED strips to purchase:
- Our Hi-Intensity LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs to accommodate shorter runs.
- The maximum length of one Hi-Intensity strip is 16'. Multiple 16' strips CAN NOT be daisy chained together. If you want to do a run longer than 16', you can butt two strips together to get the desired length. That said, we've never seen an installation that required doing this for a lack of light. Boogey Lights® LEDs are so bright that one 16' strip should provide more light than you'll need. Simply centering one 16' strip will in most cases be sufficient.
- The maximum number of 16' LED strips that can be powered at one time depends on which controller you're using. Our Heavy Duty controller will power at least six 16' LED strips. You might be able to get 7 depending upon your wiring. That said, it's possible to add additional controllers and manage those controllers with one RF remote. Lots of possibilities. The limitation ultimately comes down to your power source.
- Be mindful of where your power source is located as well as where you will be mounting the controller. The power lead for each Hi-Intensity strip needs to connect directly to the controller at your power source. Knowing where your controller will be mounted in relation to where the LED strip will be placed will determine how much power lead cable is needed on each LED strip.
Installing the Boogey Lights® LED UNDER-GLOW RV kit is relatively simple. Typical installation time is about 90-120 minutes. Some things to keep in mind before you start.
- The Under-Glow RV kit is intended to be installed on the bottom of an RV, camper or trailer. Make sure you have adequate area where to affix the LED light strips. The 5th Wheel Toy Hauler appearing in our photos has an enclosed bottom which make it easy to affix the LED light strips to the unit. However not all RVs have an enclosed bottom. If your RV doesn't have an enclosed bottom you'll need to make sure you have sufficient surface area to attach the LED strips. In addition, the area where you are attaching the LEDs needs to be reasonably clean and smooth (and free from sharp edges). If not, the LED strips won't stick. The LED strip MUST be mounted flat against a single contiguous mounting surface, in a straight line. Really important that the entire strip be stuck to the mounting surface and that you NOT attempt to span across mounting surfaces. If you do, the strip will almost certainly fail in the spot that isn't affixed firmly to the mounting surface (or, the point at which is spans across the two mounting surfaces). If you don't have a smooth, flat, contiguous mounting surface we recommend screwing 1.5" wide aluminum flat stock to the surface and then mount the LED strip to that flat stock. This aluminum flat stock can be purchased at just about any home improvement store or, we offer it for sale online too. Also, do not attempt to mount the strip to follow a radius. The LED strip has to be mounted in a straight line and flat. Failing to follow these mounting instructions will almost certainly result in a damaged LED strip which is not covered under warranty.
- When mounting on the bottom of any vehicle we recommend making sure you are not mounting the strip in-line with the wheels or in areas that might be prone to a direct strike from road debris. While Boogey Lights® Hi-Intensity LED strips are made for motorsports applications, they will likely not survive a direct strike from a hard object. If you are concerned the LED strips might be hit by road debris due to their mounting location we recommend using our Heavy Duty LED Strips which are better able to survive a direct strike from road debris.
- Make sure you know where your electrical connection will be. Most RVs (motorhome, travel trailer or fifth wheel) have an electrical access panel somewhere on the right side of the RV where 12vdc power is available. If you are going to use 110vac, make sure you have ample room to mount/affix the power converter box. The 110vac to 12vdc power converters we sell for this kit are 10amps. If you are going to max out the heavy duty controller with LED light strips you'll need to run TWO power converters in parallel (for a total of 20amps). If you have questions on this, please call us. We'll be happy to assist you!
- Decide how you are going to connect the power lead coming from your LED light strips to the power source. Most RVs have access into the electrical closet from underneath the RV itself. If so, this is the perfect place to run your power cables. Important to remember that the remote control units are not water proof so you want to mount the contoler box in an area that will remain dry.
- The only way to ensure the LED light strip stays stuck to the underbelly of your RV, camper or trailer is to make sure you prepare the surface in accordance with the directions. Every LED light kit we sell includes 3M promoter (aka "primer"). It's absolutely critical the surface be prepared using this special 3M promoter and that you follow the directions provided with every light kit. For the power lead wires that feed the LED strip we include some extra 3M tape and zip tie mounts.
- If you need to cut the LED strip, make sure you do it before affixing to your RV. Our LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs and are clearly marked.
- AMPERAGE Data for all Boogey Lights products can be found on our website.
- 3M Adhesion Primer. The cotton tip on the end of the 3M Promoter tube will evaporate quickly. Once you break the glass tube inside the promoter tube (we’re assuming you’re using the tubes versus a can of promoter) it’s important to use the promoter tube immediately. Do not allow it to sit around. If you do, the cotton applicator tip will dry up. Once you paint on the promoter you have at least an hour to mount the light strip although we recommend proceeding immediately after painting the surface with the 3M Promoter.
- When in doubt, call our technical support team! We're the experts. We've done this thousands of times. We know what works.