RV Multi-Color LED Under-Glow Light Kit
RV Multi-Color LED Under-Glow Light Kit
The Boogey Lights® LED UNDER-GLOW RV light kit is designed to attach to the bottom of an RV, trailer or camper. Our standard Under-Glow RV Light Kit includes TWO (2) LED light strips. Each LED strip is 16 feet long, contains 300 hi-intensity 5050 LEDs and can be cut if needed to fit your application. There are additional configurations available which provide other LED length combinations. Make your LED length selection from the CONFIGURATION option drop down menu. For all configurations, the LED strip width is 3/8" (10mm), height is 1/8" (3mm) and each strip includes a 15' power lead hard wired and sealed to the LED strip.
On full power these surface mounted hi-intensity LED strips provide an incredible amount of light in a wide variety of colors you control with the included RF wireless remote control and smartphone Bluetooth controller. (The above photos also show our optional AWNING kit affixed to the side of the RV shining underneath the awning.) In addition to the wireless remote control that's included, the LED controller is also bluetooth capable. This allows you to control your under-glow lights with your bluetooth capable smartphone and our free APP (IOS or Android). More details about the bluetooth can be found in the OPTIONS tab. All Under-Glow LED controllers offered include Bluetooth.
Wireless Remote Style: We offer two RF wireless remote control options from which to choose. The M7 style remote is the most popular because of it's nine large, easy-to-use and see buttons. Each button has one function so no sharing of functions. It measures 3.5" x 1.5" x .25". The KEY FOB style remote is smaller and is key chain ready. It has four smaller buttons each of which have more than one function. The KEY FOB remotes have a sliding cover to protect the keys from damage and are easy to put in your pocket without accidentally pressing any buttons. It measures 1.75" x 1" x .5".
LED Controller Capacity: Our base LED Under-Glow controller is the HEAVY Duty LED controller. It will power up to 1800 LEDS or six, 16' LED strips. This HEAVY DUTY LED controller will operate one zone meaning all LED strips attached to the LED controller will do the same thing. We offer a DUAL ZONE controller which is capable of powering up to 3,000 LEDs, with 1500 LEDs capacity on each zone. Each Lighting Zone can be controlled and programmed individually or together. More information about this controller option can be found on the OPTIONS tab.
Configuration: We offer this kit in seven LED length configurations to fit different size RVs. In all seven configurations each LED strip in the kit comes with a 15', four conductor power lead hardwired to the strip. The default configuration is two - 16' LED strips (each 16' strip contains 300 LEDs). The default will work for most large motor-homes (e.g. 40') but may be too long for shorter RVs, fifth wheels or travel trailers. For these applications we offer shorter LED lengths. For example, it's not unusual for a fifth wheel trailer to only have room for 12' (or, even 10') LED strips to be mounted in front of the first axle. In this situation you can order the kit such that you'll have two - 12' LED strips to use in front of the axles. Or, if you want to add lights both in front and in back of the axles (or across the front/rear), you can order 2 - 12' LEDs strip plus 2 - 4' strips. There are other LED length options as well. The configuration drop down lists the various configurations available. If you need LED lengths not listed in the configuration or you need to order different quantities than listed, you can purchase individual ADD-ON LED strips by clicking on the ADD-ONs link above. We recommend measuring the amount of space you have to mount these LED strips keeping in mind they need to be mounted on a smooth, clean, continuous surface; they cannot span multiple surfaces or bend around objects. Once you have those measurements you'll know which configuration to order.
PCB Color: Select BLACK or WHITE PCB. The default selection is BLACK.
Antenna Style: The default antenna selection is permanently attached to the LED controller. It cannot be moved or extended. We offer an Extended Range antenna option which is available on some of our LED controller configurations. More details on this option can be found on the OPTIONS tab.
Feeder Cable: We offer 18awg feeder cable in 25' and 50' lengths. We typically use this cable for RGB installations where we need to get power to multiple LED strips from the LED controller. Instead of running each LED power lead back to the controller, we will use a single run of this 18awg feeder cable. Commonly used for under-glow installations for lighting up the rear area behind the axle. In these scenarios there may be 3 or 4 short LED strips mounted at the rear of the RV. The feeder cable will connect those 3 or 4 LED strips to the LED controller which is typically mounted with the house batteries closer to the front of the RV. Super important not to over-load the feeder cable with more than 600 LEDs total. Keep in mind too that 12DC power quickly drops over distance so you want to keep these feeder cable runs as short as possible. If not, the LED strips attached to the feeder cable will be dimmer than the LED strips that are attached directly to the controller. Note that the feeder cable comes in a grey jacket with the inner colors of BLACK, RED, GREEN, WHITE. There is not a BLUE inner color jacket on this feeder cable so when using with our RGB LED strips, the BLUE power lead will connect to the WHITE feeder cable wire. Available in 25' and 50' increments.
Add Power Converter: Boogey Lights LED lighting systems are native 12vdc systems. As long as you have 12vdc power available, that's all you need. Some folks however prefer to use 120vac because it might be more easily accessible in their RV. If so, we offer the option to purchase one or two 10AMP AC to DC power converters.
Add Long Range M7 Remote: The long range M7 remote will at least double the transmission distance of the standard M7 wireless remote. You can add this long range M7 remote. Only works if you select the M7 wireless Remote Style.
Add Extra 3M Adhesion Primer: All of our lighting kits come with 3M adhesion primer sufficient to do the installation. Some folks however prefer to order extra; just in case.
Boogey Lights® RF Controller (included with our Standard Kit) displays seven colors:
- RED, GREEN, BLUE, WHITE, LIGHT BLUE, ORANGE/YELLOW, PINK/PURPLE
The lighting effects options for our Standard LED UNDER-GLOW Kit include:
- DIMMING, FADING, BREATHING, STROBING
Note: The M7 RF remote control offers SEVEN levels lighting effects (e.g. 7 levels of dimming) whereas the KEYFOB RF remote control offers FOUR levels.
- M7 Remote control uses one CR2025 3v alkaline battery (included with remote). This is the standard remote included with the M7 controller. Depending upon where the controller is mounted in your RV, it will provide 10-50 feet of control. The amount of metal that surrounds the installation location impacts the distance of the radio signal.
- KEY FOB Remote uses one MN27 12v alkaline battery (included with remote)
- Optional M7 Long Range Remote uses one A27 12v alkaline battery (included with remote). This optional M7 Long Range remote will at least double the distance of the standard M7 3v remote.
FYI: The above photos show our optional AWNING LED kit which is affixed to the side of the RV under the awning. If you add the optional awning LED kit you can choose to run the awning light on the same controller as the UNDER-GLOW lights OR you can use a separate controller just for the awning LEDs. We prefer to use a separate controller for the awning lights because it gives us more control over the lighting configuration. There are some camping situations where you may not want the UNDER-GLOW lights to be on (or not as bright, or the same color) as what the awning lights are set on. Having the two systems on two different controllers gives you some additional flexibility in this regard. Personal preference only.
OTHER ITEMS YOU MAY NEED TO COMPLETE YOUR INSTALL. No two installation scenarios are the same. Not everyone shares the same installation quality goals. Some folks are OK with twisting wires together, others want to solder them. Some folks are OK with running wires where they may be seen or unprotected to save money/time, others want a tidy, clean install without any wires showing. Some folks are OK with mounting their LED strips to whatever surface they can find, others want to take the time necessary to build out appropriate mounting surfaces to provide the best lighting effect on their vehicle. The point is it's not possible to provide all the materials necessary for all installation scenarios and quality goals. Our light kits provide the essential components needed for a high-quality, functioning lighting system. Installation of our light kit to your specific vehicle may however require additional items to make it look and fit the way you want. This is particularly the case with electrical wiring and mounting of LED strips. Before proceeding with your installation we suggest you consider THESE OTHER ITEMS you may need.
NOTE ON EXTENDED USE: The LEDs used in this product are very bright; the brightest 12vdc LED lights available. They're designed to be used for accent lighting applications where they are typically powered on for a few hours (usually on a dimmed setting) and then powered off. While they can be used in functional lighting applications (e.g. bright white to temporarily illuminate a work area), the lights should NOT be left powered on for extended periods of time (e.g. 6+ hours). If the LEDs are left powered on for long periods of time - particularly on their brightest setting - the LEDs closest to the power source will have a burned look to them over time. This is because the amount of voltage being pulled through the LEDs closest to the power source will be higher than the voltage going through the LEDs further down the strip. The end result is that those LEDs closest to the power source will be hotter thus creating the burned look. This will occur mostly when displaying the color white on a full brightness setting but can also occur with other colors. For this reason, we do NOT suggest leaving these LED lights powered up for extended periods of time particularly on their brightest setting. Burned looking LEDs is NOT covered under warranty.
IMPORTANT WARRANTY NOTICE FOR COMMERCIAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS
These low-profile surface mounted LED strips are not built to withstand significant flexing or lateral movement of the surface the strip is mounted to. Some examples include on semi-truck trailers as well as tow trucks where there is significant movement, bending or flexing of the surface to which the strip is mounted. Also, the strip can not be mounted in such a way as they span multiple mounting surfaces. Mounting them this way will virtually guarantee the strip will fail sooner rather than later. These strips must be mounted to one single continuous smooth, clean, flat, straight surface and in an area that is protected from corrosive chemicals. Commercial vehicles that frequently travel roads treated with corrosive chemicals often used for melting snow and ice can impact the durability of these LED strips if the strips are mounted in an area that is exposed to these chemicals. Hi-Intensity Strips that fail in these operating environments ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. For these types of operating environments we recommend (and warranty) our HEAVY DUTY LED strips.
There is no set installation configuration. Whether you have a motor home, bus, 5th wheel, tag-along travel trailer, utility trailer, food truck or semi-truck the configuration concepts are pretty much the same. Your rig and your imagination are the only limits. It is important however to identify where you're going to mount the LED strips as well as where the LED controller will be located. Here are some installation ideas to consider which have worked well for other customers. You may want to check out our section of HOW-TO VIDEOS which many customers find helpful with deciding how they want to install their Under-Glow lights.
At the bottom of this page you'll find some layout diagrams. The following placement discussion makes reference to those diagrams.
Standard Installation - 2 Hi-Intensity LED Strips
A: The standard Under-Glow kit includes two, super bright LED light strips. Our kit offers these LED strips in lengths of 8', 10', 12' and 16' . These two strips are typically mounted in front of the first rear axle. The goal is to light up as much of the area in front of the axle as possible.
Want More Light? Add Full Perimeter Lighting
B & C: For additional light, you can add a 4' to 8' LED light strip at the rear and / or the front of the RV to provide full perimeter lighting. These ADD-ON strips come with your choice of a 10', 25' or a 50' power lead to accommodate almost any configuration. The power leads need to run back to the 12v power source where the controller is located.
Slide-out Lighting Option
D: Depending upon the width of your slide-out you can add a 4', 8', 12' or even a 16' ADD-ON LED light strip underneath your slide-out to illuminate the area immediately below the slide-out when it is out. The 4', 8' and 12' ADD-ON strips comes with either a 10', 25' or 50' power lead. The 16' ADD-ON strip comes with your choice of a 15', 25' or 50' power lead.
Behind the Axle Lighting Option
E: Depending upon how much room you have behind the rear axle and the end of the RV you may have room to add an additional ADD-ON LED strip. The amount of space here is usually in the 2-4' range for motor homes and the 4'-8' space for fifth wheel trailers. You'll need to take some measurements to make sure you know how much space you have available.
If you need to order LED strip sizes not offered in our ADD-ONs, you can order this surface mounted low-profile LED strip which can be configured from 2" long to 16' long.
Some things to keep in mind when deciding how many and what type of LED strips to purchase:
- Our Hi-Intensity LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs to accommodate shorter runs. If you cut the strip, make sure you cut where indicated and seal the end with heat shrink or similiar substance. Important moisture not get into the strip.
- The maximum length of one Hi-Intensity strip is 16'. Multiple 16' strips CAN NOT be daisy chained together. If you want to do a run longer than 16', you can butt two strips together to get the desired length. That said, we've rarely seen an installation that required doing this for a lack of light. Boogey Lights® LEDs are so bright that one 16' strip should provide more light than you'll need. Simply centering one 16' strip will in most cases be sufficient.
- The maximum number of 16' LED strips that can be powered at one time depends on which controller you're using. Our Heavy Duty controller will power at least six 16' LED strips. You might be able to get 7 depending upon your wiring. That said, it's possible to add additional controllers and manage those controllers with one RF remote. Lots of possibilities. The limitation ultimately comes down to your power source.
- Be mindful of where your power source is located as well as where you will be mounting the controller. The power lead for each Hi-Intensity strip needs to connect directly to the controller at your power source. Knowing where your controller will be mounted in relation to where the LED strip will be placed will determine how much power lead cable is needed on each LED strip.
Installing the Boogey Lights® LED UNDER-GLOW RV kit is relatively simple. Installation time is about 2-6 hours depending upon complexity of your configuration. Some things to keep in mind before you start.
- The Under-Glow RV kit is intended to be installed on the bottom of an RV, camper or trailer. Make sure you have adequate area where to affix the LED light strips. The 5th Wheel Toy Hauler appearing in our photos has an enclosed bottom which make it easy to affix the LED light strips to the unit. However not all RVs have an enclosed bottom. If your RV doesn't have an enclosed bottom you'll need to make sure you have sufficient surface area to attach the LED strips. In addition, the area where you are attaching the LEDs needs to be reasonably clean and smooth (and free from sharp edges). If not, the LED strips won't stick. The LED strip MUST be mounted flat against a single contiguous mounting surface, in a straight line. Really important the entire strip be stuck to the mounting surface and that you NOT attempt to span across mounting surfaces. If you do, the strip will almost certainly fail in the spot that isn't affixed firmly to the mounting surface (or, the point at which is spans across the two mounting surfaces). If you don't have a smooth, flat, contiguous mounting surface we recommend screwing 1.5" wide aluminum flat stock to the surface and then mount the LED strip to that flat stock. This aluminum flat stock can be purchased at just about any home improvement store or, we offer it for sale online too. Also, do not attempt to mount the strip to follow a radius. The LED strip has to be mounted in a straight line and flat. Failing to follow these mounting instructions will almost certainly result in a damaged LED strip which is not covered under warranty.
- When mounting on the bottom of any vehicle we recommend making sure you are not mounting the strip in-line with the wheels or in areas that might be prone to a direct strike from road debris. While Boogey Lights® Hi-Intensity LED strips are made for motor sports applications, they will likely not survive a direct strike from a hard object. If you are concerned the LED strips might be hit by road debris due to their mounting location we recommend using our Heavy Duty LED Strips which are better able to survive a direct strike from road debris.
- Think about where you're going to be mounting your LED CONTROLLER. If that location is in an enclosed metal storage box or is surrounded mostly by metal, you're likely going to want to purchase the LONG RANGE REMOTE and an LED CONTROLLER that has the Extended Antenna option. Our LED Controllers work on radio frequencies. Radio frequencies don't go very far when they are enclosed in metal. We strongly suggest testing the effective range of your RF remote/LED controller BEFORE permanently mounting it. If you're not getting the range you'd like, either relocate the LED Controller or purchase the Long Range Remotes and/or Extended Antenna.
- Make sure you know where your electrical connection will be. Most RVs (motor home, travel trailer or fifth wheel) have an electrical access panel somewhere on the RV where 12vdc power is available. We prefer to make all of the electrical connections where the house batteries are located. This isn't a requirement but generally works best as you can tap directly into 12vdc power directly from the battery bank. If you are going to use 110vac, make sure you have ample room to mount/affix the power converter box. The 110vac to 12vdc power converters we sell for this kit are 10amps. If you are going to max out the heavy duty controller with LED light strips you'll need to run TWO power converters in parallel (for a total of 20amps). If you have questions on this, please call us. We'll be happy to assist you!
- Decide how you are going to connect the power lead coming from your LED light strips to the power source. Most RVs have access into the electrical closet from underneath the RV itself. If so, this is the perfect place to run your power cables. Important to remember that the remote control units are not water proof so you want to mount the contoler box in an area that will remain dry.
- The only way to ensure the LED light strip stays stuck to the underbelly of your RV, camper or trailer is to make sure you prepare the surface in accordance with the directions. Every LED light kit we sell includes 3M adhesion promoter (aka "primer"). It's absolutely critical the surface be prepared using this special 3M promoter and that you follow the directions provided with every light kit. For the power lead wires that feed the LED strip we include some extra 3M tape and zip tie mounts.
- If you need to cut the LED strip, make sure you do it before affixing to your RV. Our LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs and are clearly marked.
- AMPERAGE Data for all Boogey Lights products can be found on our website.
- 3M Adhesion Primer. If you're using the 3M promoter tubes (vs bottles), the cotton tip on the end of the 3M Promoter tube will evaporate quickly. Once you break the glass tube inside the promoter tube it’s important to use the promoter tube immediately. Do not allow it to sit around. If you do, the cotton applicator tip will dry up. Once you paint on the promoter you have at least an hour to mount the light strip although we recommend proceeding immediately after painting the surface with the 3M Promoter.
- When in doubt, call our technical support team! We're the experts. We've done this many times. We know what works.