RV Under-Glow | Full Perimeter Coverage
QUICK-CONFIGURE UNDER-GLOW LED LIGHT KIT
The closest you'll come to a custom fit without measuring your RV yourself! This kit includes the lighting components necessary to do FULL PERIMETER UNDER-GLOW LED LIGHTING on just about any style of RV: Class A, Class B, Class C, Super C, Fifth Wheel and Travel Trailer. Of course, the items in this kit can be purchased separately if you prefer. You could for example buy our Basic Under-Glow kit and then purchase each of the ADD-ON strips needed to achieve the same look but if you're looking for an easy way to order a full perimeter under-glow lighting system, this kit will in most cases give you the look you want.
This Boogey Lights® RV UNDER-GLOW LED light kit is designed to attach to the bottom of an RV and provide lighting around all four sides of the vehicle (aka 'full-perimeter' light kit). When installed properly, you'll only see the glow from the LED strips; you'll never see the actual LED strips themselves.
This light kit is offered in three MULTI-COLOR versions (RGB, RGBW and RGBA) and eight different SINGLE COLOR versions. The default configuration is set at RGB because it is the most popular but you can adjust the LED color selection using the drop down product options on this page for the other color options.
We realize there is a lot of information on this product page. We encourage customers to take the time to review the information we have assembled here before making your purchase decision. Our lighting systems are the best in the world but they also offer more options and features than anything else. It's important to take time to read the product details to achieve the look you want. Be sure to review the INSTALL tab too where we cover important installation considerations.
We've made this product highly configurable to fit just about any style of RV: Class A, Class B, Class C, Super C, Fifth Wheel and Travel Trailer. Assuming the information on the RV is accurate (e.g. especially the MODEL NUMBER) the light kit you'll receive will provide full perimeter under-glow lighting for your RV. It is however impossible to provide a custom fit light kit without getting measurements of the specific RV in advance. For this reason you will likely need to trim some of the LED strips to fit your specific RV. We include instructions with each kit how to do this as well as the heat shrink necessary to properly seal any strips that need to be cut. To minimize the cutting of LED strips, we provide a larger quantity of shorter LED strips that can be mounted on just about any flat surface making it easier to install. Each light kit has it's own CUT SHEET included which details the layout for your specific RV. The INSTALL section of this product page has diagrams illustrating this layout.
If you're looking for a true custom fit LED light kit for your RV, we encourage you to order our BUILD YOUR OWN RV UNDER-GLOW LIGHT KIT instead. We build that kit to the measurements you provide. It's more difficult to order since you'll need to look under your RV and take measurements, but for those who want the best possible custom fit, it's the only way to go.
Regardless of the light kit configuration, for most under-glow installations we do here at BOOGEY HQ, we have to install plastic or aluminum flat stock in some locations on the bottom of the RV. This is because the LED strip needs to be mounted on a flat, single contiguous mounting surface and in a straight line (the led strip cannot bend around corners or be bent on a horizontal plane). Also, the entire strip must be stuck to the mounting surface and not span across mounting surfaces. If you don't have a smooth, flat, contiguous mounting surface we suggest riveting or screwing 1.5" wide plastic or aluminum flat stock to the surface and then mount the LED strip to that flat stock. You'll find more about these options and issues on the INSTALL tab of this product page.
Depending on the RV FORMAT, this product has 6 or 7 configurable options. Some are required. Some are optional. Refer to the following for details on each of the product options offered.
RV FORMAT: There are 11 possible RV format options presented. The 'format' relates to the type of RV you have along with the number of axles (total). EG: Motor home Class A 2 Axle, Fifth Wheel 3 Axle, etc. The number of axles your RV has is important for us to know so make sure you select the correct version as some RV formats have more than one version based on the total number of axles. In some cases, the format you choose will offer other options based the type of RV format you select. It's important to get this right because it, along with the overall length of the RV tells us important information about the type of light kit to ship. Do not guess at this. Make your selection from the drop down list. Note that we use some abbreviations in this list. For example. MH = Motor Home. The abbreviations should be obvious but if in doubt, ask us.
NOTE: If you're looking for under-glow lighting on an AIRSTREAM trailer, do not use this product. Instead use this AIRSTREAM TRAILER UNDER-GLOW LED LIGHT KIT. It is specifically setup for the AIRSTREAM trailer (and the front rock guards).
RV LENGTH: Select the length of your RV from the available drop down list. This measurement is in feet. If your RV length is not in even feet, round down (e.g. 29.5' use 29').
RV MANUFACTURER: Type in the name of the company that manufactures your RV. eg: Tiffin, Newmar, Jayco, Winnebago, Coachman, Forest River, DRV, Coleman, Keystone, etc.
RV MODEL NAME: Type in the MODEL NAME of your RV. This is different from the manufacturer name or the model number.
RV MODEL NUMBER: Type in your RVs MODEL NUMBER. This is the most important piece of information. It tells us the real length and wheelbase in inches (not feet). It also provides us with details on the floor plan layout of your RV which might impact the mounting locations. RV manufacturers assign a model number to each model they produce. The model number is different from the model name. The model numbers can be all numbers or a mix of numbers and letters. Some examples: 3412, LXE44B, 37K, KSDP3910, 29XPS, 4014LEV, 36TK3, LX455, MD2, 4369
RV YEAR: Select the year of your RV.
UPGRADE TO HEAVY DUTY: This is selection is optional and is only presented on Class A, B, C and Super C RV formats. On all motor home formats there are a number of LED strips mounted under the front bumper in the area in front of the steer axle. LED strips mounted in this area are more prone to damage from road debris than anywhere else on the RV. While our standard LOW PROFILE LED STRIPS we use for RV under-glow light kits are built tough, they typically won't withstand a direct strike from a flying object coming off the surface of the highway. For the LED strips mounted in this area, we can upgrade them to our HEAVY DUTY LED STRIPS which is our commercial grade lighting product we install on semi-trucks, tow trucks, dump trucks, etc. They have an additional layer of protection which better protects them from a direct strike. If you select this option, we will ship Heavy Duty LED strips for the LED strips in the front area of your RV instead of the standard Low Profile LED strips.
LED COLOR OPTIONS: This option tells us what color format you want for your light kit. There are three multi-color and eight single color options. We have a detailed discussion about these LED color options further down on this product page. Be sure to read it. It's important. If you select any of the three multi-color options, you'll be presented with the option to make an LED CONTROLLER selection (essential to operate RGBx LEDs). If you select any of the eight single color options, you'll be presented with a switching option.
LED CONTROLLER OPTIONS: This option is required for any RGB, RGBA or RGBW LED color selection. We offer a SINGLE ZONE LED CONTROLLER and a DUAL ZONE LED CONTROLLER. There is a detailed discussion about these two options further down on this product page. It's important to read it.
ADD PRE-BUILT LED CONTROL CENTER: This product selection is optional and is only presented if you are ordering an LED CONTROLLER. These LED Control Centers make for a professional looking installation. Also makes the installation a little easier for DIYers since the controller wiring is neatly organized and easily identifiable. It's also a huge time saver. We offer a detailed discussion (with photo) about this option further down on this product page.
SWITCH OPTIONS: This product selection is optional and is only presented if you are ordering SINGLE COLOR LEDS. There are four possible single color switch options you can select as follows:
- RF Wireless ON/OFF only. Select this option if you want a simple wireless ON/OFF remote control (key fob style) to turn the lights on and off (no dimming or brightness control). We include a 40 amp relay too.
- RF Wireless ON/OFF/DIMMING control (20 amps). Select this option if you want a wireless remote control to operate the led strip. The wireless remote has a hand held control that allows you to turn the lights on, off and dim. In addition, you can strobe and breath the lights too. Bluetooth control is included as well. This controller is rated at a maximum amperage of 20 amps.
- On/Off Toggle Switch. This is a simple on/off hard wired toggle switch with relay. Nothing complicated.
- I'll supply my own switches. Select this option if you have your own single color switching mechanism. Just make sure it's rated to handle the amperage which for most under-glow LED light systems is in the 15 to 20 amp range. Some are higher depending on the number of LEDs and amount of wire in the circuit.
ADD WHEEL WELL LIGHTS: Optional. We offer the option of adding wheel well lighting to your full perimeter light kit. We offer a more detailed discussion about this product option further down on this product page.
LED CONTROLLERS: SINGLE ZONE, DUAL ZONE?
For the three multi-color LED options, this kit offers both SINGLE ZONE and DUAL ZONE controller options. As the names suggest, a Single Zone controller has just one single lighting zone. All LEDs wired to the controller are on one zone. Whatever color or feature set you apply will be what you get on all leds. Pretty simple. With our Dual Zone controller, you can set up and operate two distinct lighting zones which can be operated and controlled individually or together. Many customers will install their full-perimeter under-glow system such that ZONE 1 controls the drivers side under-glow lights and ZONE 2 controls the front, rear and passenger's side under-glow lights. Why? If you find yourself camping in crowded campgrounds there may be situations where you want to turn off the driver's side under-glow lights (which faces the campers next to you) but leave the front, rear and passenger's side under-glow lights on. Of course there are other reasons too. Some customers will use ZONE 1 for the entire under-glow system and ZONE 2 for their awning (or slide out) lighting. Previously this type of configuration would require two different controllers. The point is that with the Duty Dual Zone LED Controller you have more flexibility as to how you want to control your Boogey Lights. On a Dual Zone controller each lighting zone is capable of supporting up to 1500 LEDs for a total of 3000 LEDs. It will work with your Android® or iOS® Smart phone. It will also work with the included M7 Style RF wireless remote. Details on features are below.
GEN2 LED CONTROLLERS
Bluetooth + RF Combo Wireless Control
The LED Controllers offered in this kit are our GEN2 Single Zone and Dual Zone Heavy Duty Bluetooth COMBO LED Controllers. COMBO means they can be operated using either the included M7 RF wireless hand held remote OR your Bluetooth enable smart phone (and our free APP). Both will work. The RGB version is capable of displaying 16 million different color combinations. The GEN2 RGBx version can display even more color combinations depending on the type of LED strips connected to them. In addition, lighting effects on the Bluetooth controller are significantly more controllable in terms of speed and intensity. Each color and lighting effect is controlled by "sliders" or a color square on your smart phone screen so you can adjust the speed and intensity to get the lighting the way you want it.
Key Features & Capabilities
- Our GEN2 LED Controllers are based on the Bluetooth 5 chip set family which provide fast response times and the best possible RF/Bluetooth transmission distance.
- The SUPER and HEAVY DUTY GEN2 Controller can support Single Color, RGB, RGBx and RGBxx LED strips with both RF and Bluetooth control.
- The HEAVY DUTY controller versions include two antennas: a screw-on 2" stubby antenna and an extended magnetic mount antenna with 15' of wire for optimal reception on any vehicle.
- Use the included RF wireless remote to quickly turn on/off/dim your Boogey Lights. You can also select up to 7 different preset colors using the RF remote as well as access 7 different lighting features.
- Use your smart phone to operate your Boogey Lights®: On, Off, Dimming, Color Selection, Brightness, Speed, Color Programming, Timers
- Adjust the color sliders or color square to select the color you want.
- Access additional lighting features (e.g. strobing, flashing, breathing, morphing) modes using the 7 Function Keys.
- Save your favorite lighting configuration using Pre-Sets
- Countdown Timer and a 24 hour On/Off Timer function
- Quick-Switch feature for use with RGBx LED strips.
- Password protection to stop others from connecting to your LED controller.
- Programmable Color Rotation mode offers the ability to program the controller to display two or three colors of your choice and then rotate those colors in sequence.
- Assign a 'nick name' to your controller so you can easily find it when scanning.
- Set the APP to auto-connect to your LED controller every time you launch the APP on your phone
- DOWNLOAD the GEN2 LED Controller Operating Manual & Wiring Diagrams
- DOWNLOAD the GEN2 Bluetooth Operating Manual
- DOWNLOAD the GEN2 M7 RF Wireless Remote Operating Information
- VIEW the GEN2 LED Controller Series Product Page
- VIEW the GEN2 BLUETOOTH APP Information Page
Color Options and Considerations
This light kit is offered in eight single color options and in three multi-color configurations: RGB, RGBW (RGB + warm white) and RGBA (RGB + amber). For the single color options the LED controller wireless RF remote will give you the ability to turn the LEDs on/off as well as dim, flash, strobe and breath (and change the speed at which those features work). With the bluetooth APP, you can perform these same functions as well as save presets. For the multi-color options, you have the same capabilities however the feature set is significantly expanded since you also have the ability to change/adjust/tweak the colors you want to display. With the included RF wireless remote you can change between 7 pre-set colors (Red, Green, Blue, White, Light Blue, Lime Green/Yellow, Hot Pink/Purple) and functions of on/off, blending, strobing, breathing, flashing, fading and dimming. You can also use your Bluetooth enabled smart phone to create a custom look. The Bluetooth APP allows you to program the RGB diodes of any of our RGB, RGBW and RGBA strips with over 16 million different color combinations plus three pre-sets. Also, the Bluetooth APP offers 2 and 3 color rotation programming along with two timer features. Click the BLUETOOTH APP navigation tab on this product page for significantly more information on both the Bluetooth capabilities and APP functionality (including a video showing how the Bluetooth APP works)
RGBW: On the RGBW led strip, in addition to RGB, you get one extra diode which is Warm White. That warm white diode has a Kelvin temperature of 2400 which means it has a yellowish look giving it a warmer, softer, candle like look (see photo below). That fourth diode on the RGBW led strip can be wired directly to our GEN2 LED Controller which supports RGBx LEDs. As an option, you could also wire that fourth diode to a completely separate on/off switch. Your choice. You could also use the Quick-Switch feature with this fourth diode too.
RGBA: On the RGBA led strip, in addition to RGB, you get one extra diode which is AMBER. That fourth diode on the RGBA led strip can be wired directly to our GEN2 LED Controller which supports RGBx LEDs. As an option, you could also wire that fourth diode to a completely separate on/off switch. Your choice. You could also use the Quick-Switch feature with this fourth diode too.
PRE-BUILT LED CONTROL CENTER (OPTIONAL)
We offer the option of pre-building the LED Control Center with your order. These LED Control Centers make for a professional looking installation. Also makes the installation a little easier for DIYers since the controller wiring is neatly organized and easily identifiable. It's also a huge time saver. Can easily save two hours (or more) when doing a typical installation.
The pre-built Control Center has the LED Controller and power connections mounted to a PVC board. The power connections make it simple to connect your battery power as well as the LED strip power leads via a terminal blocks mounted to the board. Simply strip the end of the battery lead cable and LED strip power leads, push them into the terminal block and tighten the screw. This design also makes trouble shooting easier. The board has four 2" stand offs with plexi-glass mounted on top which keeps the components protected. You can read more about this option on the LED CONTROL CENTER product page. We include some photos below. The LED Control Center option is only available when an LED Controller and/or relays are ordered.
WHEEL WELL LIGHTING (OPTIONAL)
We offer the option of adding wheel well lighting to your full perimeter light kit. It can be done for one, two or three axles; motor homes and fifth wheel trailers. Sold per pair. With the exception of RGBW, we use our HEAVY DUTY LED Strips for this purpose (RGBW uses low profile). Be aware however that not all RVs will be able to accommodate lights mounted in the wheel wells. You'll need to measure the amount of clearance you have between the tire/wheel and the RV to see if there is enough room to get into the wheel well to do the installation (without removing the tire/wheel). Assuming your RV has enough clearance to work, the next thing you need to consider is the mounting location. For maximum lighting effect we prefer to mount the Heavy Duty LED strip straight up from the tire and off set a little toward the outside wall of the RV. This minimizes the possibility you'll be able to see the LED strip directly and instead, only see the glow from the LEDs flooding the tire/wheel well area. Next you'll need to consider the mounting surface. Is it clean? Smooth? Will 3M tape (promoted with 3M adhesion primer first of course) adhere to that surface? Some RVs are under-coated which can make it difficult to get the LED strips to adhere to the surface without first having to scrape the under-coating away and/or screwing the LED strip to the wheel well at each end. Others have a type of material covering the wheel well surface itself. In this case you may need to cut that material away first to get to the smooth surface beneath it. You'll need to look closely at your RV to make this determination. It is not something we can assist you with based on the model. The last thing you want is for that LED strip to come loose from it's mounting location just above the tire/wheel as you drive down the road. The final consideration is length. How much room do you have to mount the LED strip? You need at least 12" (15 LEDs) for the smallest strip and 32" (45 LEDs) for the maximum length. The longer the LED strip the more LEDs and thus the more light you'll get.
Once you've confirmed the above, make your selection from the drop down options for this product. You'll notice we offer three LED strip length options PER AXLE wheel well. They're ordered per wheel well. Do not assume that just because a 32" led strip will fit in the wheel well for the steer axle, the same will fit in the drive axle. This is particularly true for motor homes.
BOOGEY LIGHTS® LIGHTING SYSTEMS
This light kit is based on our popular high performance LOW PROFILE LED AND our HEAVY DUTY LED strips. Details about these LED strips can be found by clicking on the button below or by clicking on the SPECS navigation tab appearing on this product page. If you want to know what makes Boogey Lights® LED lighting products different than any other lighting system out there, check out this link: WHY BOOGEY LIGHTS .
USING THE QUICK-SWITCH FEATURE
The Quick Switch feature is available on our GEN2 HD SINGLE ZONE and HD DUAL ZONE LED Controllers. Whatever color LED you have connected to the GREY output wire of the GEN2 Controller is the color that will display when the Quick Switch is triggered with 12vdc +. The most common use for this configuration is with commercial vehicles who want to be able to instantly turn off whatever color they're running and turn on a DOT compliant AMBER which is on our RGBA LED strips. For these installations, the yellow trigger wire is connected to a toggle switch or other wireless switch that activates the AMBER leds. You can also do the same thing with the RGBW product. When the Quick Switch trigger wire is not energized, the LED controller operates the RGBxx diodes normally.
ADD ON PRODUCTS
Many of our customers want to light up more than just the under-glow portion of their RV. Here are links to popular lighting products that are often paired with under-glow lighting:
UNDER-SLIDE LIGHTING. More and more people are lighting up the area under their SLIDE OUT. We offer a kit for that too.
ENGINE BAY LIGHTING. This light kit is popular with CLASS A motor home owners. It is often added at the same time Under-Glow lighting is added.
AWNING LIGHT. Every RV needs an awning light. And many OEM lights don't last long.
BASIC UNDER-GLOW LIGHT KIT. Not everyone wants a full-perimeter LED light kit. Some just want a simple under-glow light kit. This is that kit.
LIGHTED WHIPS. New trend! Primarily used by semi-truck drivers, we are seeing a trend toward RVers adding a short 2' LED lighted whip to their ladder mount. The lighted whip can integrate directly with an existing Boogey Lights® under-glow system.
OTHER ITEMS YOU MAY NEED
No two installation scenarios are the same. Not everyone shares the same installation quality goals. Some folks are OK with twisting wires together, others want to solder them. Some folks are OK with running wires where they may be seen or unprotected to save money/time, others want a tidy, clean install without any wires showing. Some folks are OK with mounting their LED strips to whatever surface they can find, others want to take the time necessary to build out appropriate mounting surfaces to provide the best lighting effect on their vehicle. The point is it's not possible to provide all the materials necessary for all installation scenarios and quality goals. Our light kits provide the essential components needed for a high-quality, functioning lighting system. Installation of our light kit to your specific vehicle may however require additional items to make it look and fit the way you want. This is particularly the case with electrical wiring and mounting of LED strips. Before proceeding with your installation we suggest you consider THESE OTHER ITEMS.
THE KELVIN SCALE
NOTE ON EXTENDED USE
The LEDs used in this product are very bright; the brightest 12vdc LED lights available. They're designed to be used for accent lighting applications where they are typically powered on for a few hours (usually on a dimmed setting) and then powered off. While they can be used in functional lighting applications (e.g. bright white to temporarily illuminate a work area), the lights should NOT be left powered on for extended periods of time (e.g. 6+ hours). If the LEDs are left powered on for long periods of time - particularly on their brightest setting - the LEDs closest to the power source will have a burned look to them over time. This is because the amount of voltage being pulled through the LEDs closest to the power source will be higher than the voltage going through the LEDs further down the strip. The end result is that those LEDs closest to the power source will be hotter thus creating the burned look. This will occur mostly when displaying the color white on a full brightness setting but can also occur with other colors. For this reason, we do NOT suggest leaving these LED lights powered up for extended periods of time particularly on their brightest setting. Burned looking LEDs is NOT covered under warranty.
WHY BOOGEY LIGHTS®?
Unlike most every other light kit out there, these light kits are ACCENT LIGHT KITS. When mounted properly, you'll never see the LED lights themselves. You'll only see the glow from the LEDs. If you're interested in learning more about WHY Boogey Lights are different than any other LED lighting system on the market, click here: WHY BOOGEY LIGHTS . We do a deep dive into the ten differences between Boogey Lights® and all the others.
WARRANTY NOTE FOR COMMERCIAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS
These low-profile surface mounted LED strips are not built to withstand significant flexing or lateral movement of the surface the strip is mounted to. Some examples include on semi-truck trailers as well as tow trucks where there is significant movement, bending or flexing of the surface to which the strip is mounted. Also, the strip can not be mounted in such a way as they span multiple mounting surfaces. Mounting them this way will virtually guarantee the strip will fail sooner rather than later. These strips must be mounted to one single continuous smooth, clean, flat, straight surface and in an area that is protected from corrosive chemicals. Commercial vehicles that frequently travel roads treated with corrosive chemicals often used for melting snow and ice can impact the durability of these LED strips if the strips are mounted in an area that is exposed to these chemicals. Hi-Intensity Strips that fail in these operating environments ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. For these types of operating environments we recommend (and warranty) our HEAVY DUTY LED strips.
The above video is a quick 36 second aerial tour of a Boogey Lights installation on a 2022 Newmar Ventana motor home We installed our multi-color BYOK Full-Perimeter Under-Glow LED Light system plus engine bay lighting. While you may be able to achieve a similar look with this full perimeter light kit, this particular installation uses our Build Your Own Kit (BYOK) 3 Axle Under-Glow LED light kit for a perfect fit creating that custom look.
Installation Information & Tips
IMPORTANT. You must have an understanding of 12vdc power. An essential skill with installation of any Boogey Lights LED products is knowing how to correctly wire the product to a 12vdc circuit. This includes understanding the importance of having a properly sized fuse at the power source, polarity, how to properly seal an electrical connection, using properly sized wire gauge for the load, measuring voltage and measuring the additional amperage draw you're adding. If you are uncertain or unfamiliar with any of these concepts, we urge you to ask someone who has the knowledge to assist you. Electricity is unforgiving.
All of our installation documentation for this product (and all others) is available to download directly from our website. We encourage you to download this information and review before placing your order. That way you'll have a solid understanding of what is required (and no surprises). Here are some of the most important installation documents for this product. You will find ALL available documentation in our INSTALLATION RESOURCES SECTION.
- Under-Glow Kit Install Guide
- Full Perimeter Install Guide
- Know your power consumption
- How to Mount on Coroplast
- What you need to know before mounting your LED strips
- DOWNLOAD the GEN2 LED Controller Operating Manual & Wiring Diagrams
- DOWNLOAD the GEN2 Bluetooth Operating Manual
- DOWNLOAD the GEN2 M7 RF Wireless Remote Operating Information
You may also want to check out our section of HOW-TO VIDEOS which many customers find helpful with deciding how they want to install their Under-Glow lights.
LAYOUT & WIRING PLAN
Every RV Class requires a different layout and of course every RV is a little different than the other so it's not possible to provide a detailed layout for every possible RV Class, Length and feature configuration. Below are some examples of layouts and wiring plans. The lengths of the LED strips shown in the diagrams below are NOT important as they will be different. Do not get hung up on this. The diagrams are for illustration only. Each Quick-Configure Full Perimeter RV Under-Glow LED light kit we ship has it's own CUT SHEET which details the suggested LED strip layout for your specific RV. The important take away here is to understand the wiring plan concepts as it relates to using the supplied feeder cable to connect groups of LED strips based on their location on the RV. This is particularly important for large motor homes with both drive and steer axels.
Motor Homes (all classes): Regardless of the length or class of the motor home, most motor home under-glow kits include 3 to 6 LED strips that mount under the front of the vehicle (in front of the steer axle) and 3 to 8 LED strips that mount behind the rear axle. These LED strips are a mix of 22" and 40" LED strips. The number and lengths vary based on the RV specs. All of the LED strips in front of the steer axle are wired to one feeder cable. All of the LED strips beyond the drive (or tag) axle are wired to one feeder cable. The LED controller is typically mounted in the middle of the vehicle between the steer and drive axles. The feeder cables the connect to the LED strips from the rear and the front meet in the middle at the controller or switching mechanism.
Fifth Wheel & Travel Trailers: On fifth wheel and travel trailers, the under-glow kits include 3 to 6 LED strips that mount at the rear of the trailer behind the last axle. Those rear LED strips are wired to one single feeder cable. That feeder cable connects to the LED controller or switching mechanism in the battery bay which is usually forward of the axles. The front of the trailer will have anywhere from 4 to 8 LED strips mounted to the bottom of the trailer. Those LED strips are either connected directly to the LED controller or wired to feeder cable which connects to the LED controller.
Some things to keep in mind:
- Our Hi-Intensity LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs to accommodate shorter runs. If you cut the strip, make sure you cut where indicated and seal the end with heat shrink or similar substance. Important moisture not get into the strip.
- The maximum length of one Hi-Intensity strip is 16'. Multiple 16' strips CAN NOT be daisy chained together. If you want to do a run longer than 16', you can butt two strips together to get the desired length. That said, we've rarely seen an installation that required doing this for a lack of light. Boogey Lights® LEDs are so bright that one 16' strip should provide more light than you'll need. Simply centering one 16' strip will in most cases be sufficient.
- The maximum number of 16' LED strips that can be powered at one time depends on which controller you're using. Our Single Zone Heavy Duty controller will power at least six 16' LED strips. That said, it's possible to add additional controllers and manage those controllers with one RF remote. Lots of possibilities. The limitation ultimately comes down to your power source.
- Be mindful of where your power source is located as well as where you will be mounting the controller. The power lead for each Hi-Intensity strip needs to connect directly to the controller at your power source. Knowing where your controller will be mounted in relation to where the LED strip will be placed will determine how much power lead cable is needed on each LED strip.
BEFORE YOU START
Installation time for a full perimeter under-glow system is typically 6 to 10 hours depending upon complexity of your configuration. Some things to keep in mind before you start.
- WE STRONGLY SUGGEST BENCH TESTING YOUR LIGHTS AND CONTROLLER BEFORE MOUNTING! We cannot emphasize this enough. Probably 95% of all calls we receive from customers are about problems or issues that could have easily been avoided had the customer taken the extra 15 minutes to bench test their lighting setup before installation. Not only does bench testing give you an opportunity to understand the configuration, it also will flush out any problems or misunderstanding about the product and use before mounting.
- The Under-Glow RV kit is intended to be installed on the bottom of an RV, camper or trailer. Make sure you have adequate area where to affix the LED light strips. You'll need to make sure you have sufficient surface area to attach the LED strips. In addition, the area where you are attaching the LEDs needs to be reasonably clean and smooth (and free from sharp edges). If not, the LED strips won't stick. The LED strip MUST be mounted flat against a single contiguous mounting surface, in a straight line. Really important the entire strip be stuck to the mounting surface and that you NOT attempt to span across mounting surfaces. If you do, the strip will almost certainly fail in the spot that isn't affixed firmly to the mounting surface (or, the point at which is spans across the two mounting surfaces). If you don't have a smooth, flat, contiguous mounting surface we recommend screwing 1.5" wide aluminum flat stock to the surface and then mount the LED strip to that flat stock. This aluminum flat stock can be purchased at just about any home improvement store or, we offer it for sale online too. Also, do not attempt to mount the strip to follow a radius. The LED strip has to be mounted in a straight line and flat. Failing to follow these mounting instructions will almost certainly result in a damaged LED strip which is not covered under warranty.
- Think about where you're going to be mounting your LED CONTROLLER. If that location is in an enclosed metal storage box or is surrounded mostly by metal, you're likely going to want to purchase the LONG RANGE REMOTE and an LED CONTROLLER that has the Extended Antenna option. Our LED Controllers work on radio frequencies. Radio frequencies don't go very far when they are enclosed in metal. We strongly suggest testing the effective range of your RF remote/LED controller BEFORE permanently mounting it. If you're not getting the range you'd like, either relocate the LED Controller or purchase the Long Range Remotes and/or Extended Antenna.
- Make sure you know where your electrical connection will be. Most RVs (motor home, travel trailer or fifth wheel) have an electrical access panel somewhere on the RV where 12vdc power is available. We prefer to make all of the electrical connections where the house batteries are located. This isn't a requirement but generally works best as you can tap directly into 12vdc power directly from the battery bank. If you are going to use 110vac, make sure you have ample room to mount/affix the power converter box. The 110vac to 12vdc power converters we sell for this kit are 10amps. If you are going to max out the heavy duty controller with LED light strips you'll need to run TWO power converters in parallel (for a total of 20amps). If you have questions on this, please call us. We'll be happy to assist you!
- Decide how you are going to connect the power lead coming from your LED light strips to the power source. Most RVs have access into the electrical closet from underneath the RV itself. If so, this is the perfect place to run your power cables. Important to remember that the remote control units are not water proof so you want to mount the controller box in an area that will remain dry.
- The only way to ensure the LED light strip stays stuck to RV, camper or trailer is to make sure you prepare the surface in accordance with the directions. Every LED light kit we sell includes 3M adhesion promoter (aka "primer"). It's absolutely critical the surface be prepared using this special 3M promoter and that you follow the directions provided with every light kit. For the power lead wires that feed the LED strip we include some extra 3M tape and zip tie mounts.
- If you need to cut the LED strip, make sure you do it before affixing to your RV. Our LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs and are clearly marked.
- AMPERAGE Data for all Boogey Lights products can be found on our website.
- 3M Adhesion Primer. If you're using the 3M promoter tubes (vs bottles), the cotton tip on the end of the 3M Promoter tube will evaporate quickly. Once you break the glass tube inside the promoter tube it’s important to use the promoter tube immediately. Do not allow it to sit around. If you do, the cotton applicator tip will dry up. Once you paint on the promoter you have at least an hour to mount the light strip although we recommend proceeding immediately after painting the surface with the 3M Promoter.
- When in doubt, call our technical support team! We're the experts. We've done this many times. We know what works.